Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

EWL and realistic time lines

I am new to the forum, and just had a quick question, as at my six month checkup, I felt, for the first time, as if I had done something wrong.

I am a by the book, numbers, write it down, everywhere and everything person. I have kept my profile on MyFitnessPal, my "guide book" given at my first seminar, and have now filled three huge binders of my own notes and journals, as I want to make sure no stone is unturned.

I didn't see my normal surgeon, as he was away that day, but the dietician (who was all of 12, brand new when I started coming the second time...the first two times there were insurance red tape even down to the hour before surgery...that is a rant for another day) said I want making the progress she wanted to see, and the Dr. who did see me talked through not to me (God I hate that).

I now have to come back for "monitoring" once a month to keep on track. Huh?

I was furious when I left the office so I called back as there were no goals, just switch up food. Um why? I eat 90% Protein and drink 96 oz of Water a day. I take EVERY Vitamin, supplement, med, etc that was prescribed by then EVERYDAY. I exercise a minimum 4 days a week, varied workouts from cardio, to swimming, weight training, yoga, and now mini cross fit sessions.

They said at this point in the game o should be at least 50% excess body weight lost? Um what? That is on NO book, lecture, seminar, support group, anything I have ever read, in fact quite the opposite.

They say the average is 60% in the first year, will slow continued loss.

I went from 292lbs at first consult, to 301lbs pre fast, 278lbs post fast, 273 day of surgery, 254 one month check up, 230 the month check up, and now 215lbs at six months, and they tell me it is not enough?

I feel angry, frustrated & insulted.

I bust my butt, do above and beyond 95% off the time (I am human and do make mistakes sometimes), but the only number they looked at was the actual weight loss, then lectured me failure rates???

I was fuming but embarrassed like I felt I was being shamed.

Every other time I have gone, post op it has been a great experience, and ask my others doctors and primary care think so too, but I don't know now if I will ever go back.

I hate being treated like I am some moron, who doesn't know what is going on. The world treats "fat people" like we are dumb & don't know right from wrong, so why are we getting this from the one place that should be safe.

Am I crazy to think that for a sleever, not a bypass patient, that 50% excess weight loss in 6 months seems a bit of a stretch? Or am I over thinking things?

Just stressed out.

B~

I am new to the forum, and just had a quick question, as at my six month checkup, I felt, for the first time, as if I had done something wrong.

I am a by the book, numbers, write it down, everywhere and everything person. I have kept my profile on MyFitnessPal, my "guide book" given at my first seminar, and have now filled three huge binders of my own notes and journals, as I want to make sure no stone is unturned.

I didn't see my normal surgeon, as he was away that day, but the dietician (who was all of 12, brand new when I started coming the second time...the first two times there were insurance red tape even down to the hour before surgery...that is a rant for another day) said I wasn't making the progress she wanted to see, and the Dr. who did see me talked through not to me (God I hate that).

I now have to come back for "monitoring" once a month to keep on track. Huh?

I was furious when I left the office so I called back as there were no goals, just switch up food. Um why? I eat 90% Protein and drink 96 oz of Water a day. I take EVERY Vitamin, supplement, med, etc that was prescribed by then EVERYDAY. I exercise a minimum 4 days a week, varied workouts from cardio, to swimming, weight training, yoga, and now mini cross fit sessions.

They said at this point in the game o should be at least 50% excess body weight lost? Um what? That is on NO book, lecture, seminar, support group, anything I have ever read, in fact quite the opposite.

They say the average is 60% in the first year, will slow continued loss.

I went from 292lbs at first consult, to 301lbs pre fast, 278lbs post fast, 273 day of surgery, 254 one month check up, 230 there month check up, and now 215lbs at six months, and they tell me it is not enough?

I feel angry, frustrated & insulted.

I bust my butt, do above and beyond 95% of the time (I am human and do make mistakes sometimes), but the only number they looked at was the actual weight loss, then lectured me failure rates???

I was fuming but embarrassed like I felt I was being shamed.

Every other time I have gone, post op it has been a great experience, and ask my others doctors and primary care think so too, but I don't know now if I will ever go back.

I hate being treated like I am some moron, who doesn't know what is going on. The world treats "fat people" like we are dumb & don't know right from wrong, so why are we getting this from the one place that should be safe.

Am I crazy to think that for a sleever, not a bypass patient, that 50% excess weight loss in 6 months seems a bit of a stretch? Or am I over thinking things?

Just stressed out.

B~

Edited by BIZZYBIZZYB

Sounds like you are very diligent about sticking to your plan. So why do you need a doctor or nut to tell you how you are doing? If you feel good, are losing weight (slower is better), and eating healthy, then what's the problem? This is YOUR journey, not there's. They are just trying to shove you in one of their little textbook results boxes.

If YOU feel good about your progress, then fuck them. You are a rockstar! Just keep doing what you're doing.

I hate it when I tell my lived experience and am disbelieved. In the bariatric field, professionals meet many people who really do fool themselves about their eating habits, so they tend to project that onto others who are actually compliant but still losing slowly. I can empathize with your frustration at being treated like you are doing something wrong. Keep following the program and try to let the feeling of insult go. They are wrong about you, but their suspicion is founded on experience with others who are not as compliant.

Bit I think that as long as you are losing, they shouldn't be so concerned about the pace. A slower pace will still get you where you need to go, if you are persistent.

Your story made me see red. I just cancelled my 6 month appointment which was supposed to be in a few hours because of snow, but if that happened to me, I would not be going back. I'm not a big fan of the support staff where I go. In both post of visits so far I haven't even seen a doctor. My surgeon never saw me after the surgery. I would stick with your primary care doc if you have a good relationship. I think at 6 months out with a sleeve, assuming you have had no complications, there is no extraordinary medical care that only a bariatric surgeon could give you. I found a NUT on my own that I really liked, and I will be going back to her.

For me, and it sounds like for you too, I am done with being marginalized. Unless ALL my medical providers can give me constructive advice and help that will further my health goals, I don't go back.

Keep up the good fight -- sounds like you are right on track to me. I am losing "slow" too and couldn't be happier!

Ellen

Sorry they treated you like that. I think you are doing great. You don't give your age or height, or goal, but all those things play a part, and you have lost a significant amount of weight. What did they say your excess loss percentage is? What numbers are they using to calculate it? I could understand concern if you were not compliant, but since you are, there is nothing left to do. Even if you do not represent the average pounds lost, could you do anything different? I doubt it. Just keep doing the things you are doing, and your loss will continue. I do think you should plan to back, just request different people.

I have kept detailed, daily records of my weight since my sleeve. At 26 weeks, I had lost 51% of my excess weight, so in answer to your question, it is reasonable. I was 306 when I started and 225 at 26 weeks post op. I am now around 90-95% of EWL, or even 100% depending on what you say the goal is. My point is that it's easy to lie with statistics. If they are basing it on a very low goal, your current % is going to be low. My docs office used the stats as guidelines, but treated me as an individual.

My 26 year old daughter had the sleeve 4 months ago, and she's lost around 60% or more already. But she's young and I think that makes a difference. I know people who lose much slower. It just goes to show we are all unique, and all successful. You are successful, and while you can spin numbers many ways, the fact is, you've lost a LOT of weight, and our bodies only can lose so fast.

You are doing fine, just keep up the good work.

I think you have to think about this from the perspective of why you are doing what you're doing.

You're not losing weight to tick some box on a dietician's clipboard. You're not losing weight to satisfy a doctor. Those might be things you have to put up with to stay on track or comply with insurance requirements, but don't let them shape how you think about weight loss.

Because the reason you are losing weight is for you, not for them.

So what matters in terms of how you feel about your weight loss is how it makes you feel, not how others react to it. You've lost 86 lbs on your highest weight, 60 lbs on your surgery weight. That is a big achievement, and you should be focused on how that achievement makes you feel (and it should make you feel pretty good).

As I say, sure you've got to put up with the checks and the box-ticking. But don't let it affect how you see yourself or your achievement.

You are really sweet Kindle and I appreciate that.

You are right that I DON'T need anyone telling me how this journey is going to turn out but me.

I just hate when a professional tries to act like they know my body, and what I got through.

There are other health concerns not related to weight, that have me on meds that will MAKE you GAIN weight, so I fight the current that way too.

It just knocks the wind out of your sail to hear someone, who barely even can remember you're name without looking at a chart, judging you all around.

I told my husband, that I really feel for those who come for guidance and have no clue, because how must they feel overall?

I'm a fellow slow-loser. I'm approaching my 6 month mark (March 1) and I've "only" lost 44 pounds. Like you, I am highly compliant, but my body is just determined to lose weight at a set pace, no matter what I do or how I switch things up. Fortunately, my nutritionist hasn't put any sort of timeline on my loss and is much more interested in my remaining compliant. She's not even very concerned with my actual weight and prefers to focus on my body fat percentage.

I am sorry you had to deal with people who are only looking at the numbers and not what's going on behind them. Stay strong and don't let them get you down. You know what you are doing and what is working for you. Maybe next time you will get to see your normal surgeon.

Don't let a biased, arrogant surgeon keep you from seeking support. I consider myself wildly successful - I had lost 89 of the 150 I needed to lose in 25 weeks. I think your losses are very similiar pace to mine - our bodies are not machines and lose the way you lose.

(I stopped tracking when I got to goal, but I did keep losing)

While that surgeon is an ass, at least they are paying attention to you.

What i would probably do is ask specifically what you should do differently. My NUT would review myfitness pal records with you (back when i used to track). Perhaps they have some helpful suggestions. This conversation needs to move away FROM criticism TO constructive support.

Sorry you had to deal with that, but sounds to me like you are doing great. I am only 4 weeks (tomorrow) post op. I lost 25lbs in the first 2 weeks and am now at a complete standstill. There are lots of things i'm trying to eat that are not agreeing with me so I end up going back to Protein Shakes. I have no appetite and struggled up til now to get any liquids in or any Protein in. The Dr said this was okay, and it's a trial by error. I'd been loosing about 2.5 lbs a week but am now not loosing anything. I'm assuming lack of protein? I have not started an exercise routine yet as still have some abdominal discomfort.

I appreciate all the input.

I am only 4'11 and 36 years old, so yes, I feel I am making great strides, I just hate that my NUT is just that; a NUT.

My PCP is much more help as he sees the years of initial issues now until the progress of weight loss.

I stopped all weight related medication the week before, until the morning of.

My A1C used to be between 11.1 to 13.0, and since the day of surgery insulin free and now at 5.2 A1C, with an average range fasting and non of 78 to 122.

My triglycerides were so high before medication that they couldn't be measured and neither could my LDL's.

My trigs, on my labs 4 weeks ago were at 105!

I have lost 59.5 inches overall on my body (we joke, but it is almost my height).

My BMI from 60.8 to 43.5.

Negative risk for CHD.

High Calcium Rates.

No Hair loss.< /p>

So, these are the "numbers". I go by..so my clinic can kiss my grits (although grits are technically a carb, so kiss my string cheese).

Yes! Keep up the good work. And you know your skin will thank you for a steady and measured weight loss!

I had a gut (pun intended) feeling back at that 6 Month Post Op that something was just off, just not right.

I gained 5 lbs in the month of February, so I became more depressed & stressed.

After I stopped feeling sorry for myself, I picked up the phone and called my PCP.

He had me come in and ran a diabetic fasting glucose test on me. I found it odd, because I had been off of insulin since the day of surgery at the beginning of August, and this was now the beginning of March.

The test confirmed what he was thinking. All my A1C.numbers were coming back great, but I failed the glucose test. He said while no longer diabetic, My insulin resistance was holding strong.

He told me that right now, even the introduction of "good carbs" was not going to allow my body to do anything but keep my levels high enough to hold it, and then store it. I wasn't losing and I was going to until Iv mage some other changes.

That day, I was put back on Metformin 500mg 2x daily, and told to no longer eat carbs.

We debated this a little because I told him just my Protein shakes & calcium chews totaled 23 carbs and I need them both.

We carved out a few different diet regimes as the first one made me vomit every day for 10 days. He only wanted me eating 2x a day at 8am & 8pm. I told him I would try, but that it would take me well over an hour to get in 550 to 600 calories with 35 to 45 grams of Protein.< /p>

Yeah my body HATED IT.

So mid MarchI told him, I works eat twice a day, but would have 2 small no to very low (5 grams or less) Snacks a day to even out, and since then I have been feeling like "me" From 220 to 199.0 (and holding), makes me feel awesome. Less than two months and I am back on it and working harder than ever before!

I loved reading this update! So very happy that you and your PCP found a tangible hitch and then worked it out together. This made my day!