Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just bought a size 10 goal pants - am I being unrealistic?

Today, clothing sizes for women are marketing tools--not keyed to standard sizes, which barely exist anymore at all.

Over the years, moderately priced women's clothing sizes have expanded:

"In Sears's 1937 catalog, a size 14 dress had a bust size of 32 inches (81 cm). In 1967, the same bust size was a size 8. In 2011, it was a size 0."

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

I think it's not all for vanity tho... It's partially bc we've needed fewer of the smaller sizes (humans have just gotten bigger not fat, taller and bigger bones) and more sized added at the other end as the population has added more obese.

I think I'm thinner than I was in GRADE SCHOOL. at 5'6" started out at 235. Originally thought I'd lost 100 but purposely put the brakes on and entered maintenance at 145. Lost a few more and tend to hang out around 142. MY range for me is 135-145 and that keeps me in a 4\6 pant, 8 dress which I'm perfectly happy with.

My "ideal" body weight is 124-138. I barely made weight at 138 going into the military a million years ago and I was in a size 12. So I'm crossing my fingers that I surpass that. If I make it into a 10 I'll be ecstatic!!!!

I have surgery in 3 days. I'm 5'4" and my healthiest weight post high school was 138 pounds and I was a size 12. I was in the military. As soon as I stopped that daily exercise is when I started ballooning. Anyway, I was searching for a size 12 goal pants this weekend and I didn't find anything that jumped out at me. Then, like magic, there it was. The perfect pair of Vera wang pants. For 5 Flipping dollars! How could I pass them up! The issue is...they are a size 10. The dream size. The size I've always wanted to be. So I bought them. Am I being unrealistic? Or do a lot of people actually surpass their goals and get thinner than they were in high school?

First of all, ain't no way I would've passed up a $5 pair of Vera Wang anything!!! And since you know you'll be wearing them anyway, I'd say you done good!

Now I need to go on the prowl for some Vera. ????

Edited by tomi71

First of all, ain't no way I would've passed up a $5 pair of Vera Wang anything!!! And since you know you'll be wearing them then I'd say us done good!

Now I need to go on the prowl for some Vera.

I know, RIGHT? Couldn't believe my eyeballs when I saw that! Found them in a freaking Good Will of all places...

I am 2.5 months post op, 5'4" CW 187 and I am in an 11/12, started at a tight 18W it is unfreakingbelievable how fast your body can change. You can get there!

When I had my surgery I bought a size 12 dress as a "goal". My husband and I discussed a size 10 but decided that was pushing it since I was a size 26 at the time. I reached goal weight at approx 2 years out and I am a SIZE 6!!! I did not remember ever being under 200 pounds even in elementary school so I had no idea what size I would be at any weight! Never think anything is impossible!!!

I am 2.5 months post op, 5'4" CW 187 and I am in an 11/12, started at a tight 18W it is unfreakingbelievable how fast your body can change. You can get there!

Wow you guys are SO encouraging! I have hope that my size 10 isn't unrealistic! YES!!! @@chip305 that's freaking amazing! 2.5 months out and already out of plus sizes? I can't WAIT!!! I'm at a tight 18 or a normal 20 now so it sounds like we are similar! Same height too.

I know, RIGHT? Couldn't believe my eyeballs when I saw that! Found them in a freaking Good Will of all places...

I love Goodwill! I visit the ones in NYC around the upscale 'hoods because you can always find great finds and the good thing is that the clothes are well made and will last! :)

Good for you! You and I both had the same lowest weight- I was 138 at one point and I thought I would never be able to get back there. I had a pair of size 6 goal pants that I could squeeeezzeee into at 138, so I kept those and a pair of size 4 pants that I never fit into. Both are now loose on me and I', 6-8 pounds under that original smallest size. So, I don't think you were being unrealistic at all- it's important to have goal clothing!

Wow! I wonder what makes the shape so different after surgery!

Sizes have changed. When I was quit fit in college, I never got smaller than a 9/10 even though I was smaller than I am now and i now wear in the 2-8 pant range.

Different brands are way different sizes. I have a couple of non stretch jeans - one is a size 4, the other is a size 8. The 8 is perhaps 1/2" bigger around the waist... but they both essentially fit the same. When I buy true designer brands (recent find at a consignment shop for example) i wear a much bigger size than the vanity sizing. There is a certain store filled with "00" sizes - haha - no wonder I fit their size 2s as the size inflation /vanity sizing is off the hook at that place.

Anyway, I am finally to the point where i don't think quite so much about size, I go by what fits me but I do like to stay single digit. It offends me sometimes to wear something marked I size I think I should be smaller than, but it is what it is. :)

Anyway, it is very realistic for you to get to a size 10 if that is what you desire. I am 50. At my very biggest I was in 32W. Pre Sleeve I was in the 26W range but frankly stuffed into them. Now, I wear something generally single digit, but as I described above, it is all over the board. I am smaller on the bottom then the top now since I lost my huge gut, my overall profile has really changed.

Quick summary: Find a goal that is attainable and maintainable.

Long-winded version:

I wore 46 waist pants at my highest weight. I bought very cheap pants as I lost weight. And I bought several pairs of 34s as my "dream" pants. I also bought several slim-fit medium shirts as my "dream" shirts.

All are now somewhat baggy on me!

I think part of setting a goal is not only what is attainable, but also maintainable. What's the point of reaching a 30 waist if I can't maintain it? I've really tried to come in for a "soft landing" toward my goal weight or a within 5 lbs or something, but something I could maintain for life with a reasonable diet and exercise.

I'm still not sure if I've got the balance perfected as the weight is still slowly coming off.

I've been working with my nutritionist and PCP along the way. I would suggest the same for everyone who has the benefit to do so.

Best of luck to all!

Edited by AlwaysVegas

You will be surprised how quickly your body changes once the weight loss gets going. I'm giving away all of my size 10 pants now. They are just too ridiculous on me. And I just bought them in November/December. Your size 10 goal pants may end up being too big in the end.

My goal size was a 10, but similar to you, I found the perfect pair of white capri pants, Calvin Klein, at the Goodwill for $7. Size 8. But my size 12 Calvin Kleins were falling off of me, so I thought maybe in a couple of months (I'm almost 10 months post op, but still losing a pound or two per month.) So I bought them, brought them home, and what do you know? They fit like a glove! Now if only I had the same luck up top... my girls are still in D-cups. How I wish they would shrink a little! Size medium tops and dresses are all too tight in the bust area!