Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just bought a size 10 goal pants - am I being unrealistic?

I have surgery in 3 days. I'm 5'4" and my healthiest weight post high school was 138 pounds and I was a size 12. I was in the military. As soon as I stopped that daily exercise is when I started ballooning. Anyway, I was searching for a size 12 goal pants this weekend and I didn't find anything that jumped out at me. Then, like magic, there it was. The perfect pair of Vera wang pants. For 5 Flipping dollars! How could I pass them up! The issue is...they are a size 10. The dream size. The size I've always wanted to be. So I bought them. Am I being unrealistic? Or do a lot of people actually surpass their goals and get thinner than they were in high school?

There are quite a few people on this site that have gone below their goal weight and are maintaining that weight. It is great to have that physical object (pants) as a tangible goal to reach for. Good luck!

Oh no its not...i bought a size 10 even before i had surgery...When i hit size 10 i did not even know...and now am a size 8 need to work on my tummy so i see no bulged LOL...it makes me work out at the gym even harder...I know what i spend to get those clothes...Am a bit LOL top heavy and i bought a medium dress all on sale of course....and it will fit TRUST me....good luck!!

The smallest size I ever remember being in middle/high school was a size 14. At 3 months post-op I'm wearing a size 11/12 (was in a really tight 18 when I started this journey). I think you could definitely get there.

If had more money and actually liked shopping again, I would buy all kinds of smaller clothes.

Depends on your body shape and the make of the pants. However, at 5'4" and 165 pounds, I wear a 10, and they are almost too loose. I think I would have been 14 at this weight in high school. The vanity sizing these days works for me ;)

Edited by woo woo

I am so scared to even dream of being a size 8. But my sister is the same height and is at the weight I have set as my goal and she is in a size 6! I have not worn anything smaller than a 12 as an adult and that was a flash in time when I was 23 yrs old. I'm twice the age and twice the size now at 47 yrs old and a size 16. I think about buying a size 8 and hanging them where I can wish on them everyday.....hmmmmm Might just have to do that!!!

Anything that motivates is a positive thing in my opinion! Your goal is totally realistic! Good luck to you!!

I have surgery in 3 days. I'm 5'4" and my healthiest weight post high school was 138 pounds and I was a size 12. I was in the military. As soon as I stopped that daily exercise is when I started ballooning. Anyway, I was searching for a size 12 goal pants this weekend and I didn't find anything that jumped out at me. Then, like magic, there it was. The perfect pair of Vera wang pants. For 5 Flipping dollars! How could I pass them up! The issue is...they are a size 10. The dream size. The size I've always wanted to be. So I bought them. Am I being unrealistic? Or do a lot of people actually surpass their goals and get thinner than they were in high school?

GOOD FOR YOU GIRL! Shopping is becoming fun again, isn't it??

I bought myself a pair of Lululemon yoga pants in a tiny size 8! I can't tell you the last time I was below a size 14 (or even a 16!) much less a single digit size haha but I bought them for motivation anyway! I keep trying them on (they only go above my knee right now lol) and they keep creeping up higher ,little by little, with the more weight I loose. Clothes can be a huge motivator! I hope that you ☆rock☆ those Vera Wang pants soon! ♡♡♡

I am so scared to even dream of being a size 8. But my sister is the same height and is at the weight I have set as my goal and she is in a size 6! I have not worn anything smaller than a 12 as an adult and that was a flash in time when I was 23 yrs old. I'm twice the age and twice the size now at 47 yrs old and a size 16. I think about buying a size 8 and hanging them where I can wish on them everyday.....hmmmmm Might just have to do that!!!

Anything that motivates is a positive thing in my opinion! Your goal is totally realistic! Good luck to you!!

You go Bobby! Do it! Do it! :)

I love it! Yes girl! Those size 10s are going to look great on you! This is the kind of attitude to have :)

I wore a 12 in middle school and am a 4 now. It's achievable!

5.3"- gone from size 22 to a size 8- 5 more to go!!!! You can do it

Today, clothing sizes for women are marketing tools--not keyed to standard sizes, which barely exist anymore at all.

Over the years, moderately priced women's clothing sizes have expanded:

"In Sears's 1937 catalog, a size 14 dress had a bust size of 32 inches (81 cm). In 1967, the same bust size was a size 8. In 2011, it was a size 0."

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

Today, clothing sizes for women are marketing tools--not keyed to standard sizes, which barely exist anymore at all.

Over the years, moderately priced women's clothing sizes have expanded:

"In Sears's 1937 catalog, a size 14 dress had a bust size of 32 inches (81 cm). In 1967, the same bust size was a size 8. In 2011, it was a size 0."

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

Yup! It's weird bc some things are still sized that way like uniforms. My sister is a paramedic and typically wears an 8/10 but her uniform is a 14!