Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I go to the ER?

I spent the first 30 hours post-op nauseated beyond anything I could even have fathomed pre-op and about wanted to die. Eventually I got some advice from folks here and my Dr. called me in a phenergan suppository to my pharm. Now I'm still nauseous, but only like a 3 on the nausea scale (rather than the 9/10 of twelve hours ago).

Now, though, I woke up last night with my right forearmarm is swollen and achey and half-golfball-sized lump right between my bicep and deltoid. My Dr. said to go to ER immediately if my calf got swollen and achy as it means a likely blood clot, but it's my arm instead. I called the on-cal doc around 4 am who said "up to you, either go in now or call me back in the morning." What do you all think?

Do what feels more comfortable for you. Better safe than sorry.

Go to the er. You can get a clot in your arm, I know someone who did. :( Better safe than sorry.

That's definitely concerning, and they can do a quick ultrasound to figure out if it's anything to be worried about.

Since it's Saturday, you really don't have a way to see your regular doctor. Go ahead and go to the ER. I know how unpleasant going to the ER is, but your health and safety are worth the hassle and expense.

Go to the ER. Hopefully, it is nothing but at least you'll have peace of mind if you go.

If I'm not sure whether to go to the ER or not, I go. To me in those circumstances it can never be the wrong choice. If it's normal, they can reassure you. If there's a problem though, they will document it and see that you get appropriate treatment.

A lump on the arm sounds scary!

In my area there are urgent care facilities that see you pretty quickly. It's much cheaper alternative than the ER and staffed by doctors.

In my area there are urgent care facilities that see you pretty quickly. It's much cheaper alternative than the ER and staffed by doctors.

Urgent care isn't going to be able to deal with a DVT, and that's almost definitely what this is. They'll simply send you to the ER. yes, ERs suck, but that's where you need to be. Pack an overnight bag.

Just back from the ER and, thankfullly, not DVT. Thank goodness for insurance that, even if it wouldn't cover VSG, will absolutely cover today's ER visit.

The ER doc, after ultrasound and some bloodwork, is pretty sure that my IV at the surgical center blew out of the vein just partially - not enough to really be noticed, but enough to cause some intense swelling and discomfort in the meantime. I'm to keep an eye on it, but trust that nothing should go awry if I keep to my plan. Thanks for all your support everyone!

Ouchy!! So glad it isn't a DVT!! Blown veins are no joke! They hurt! The nurse blew out a vein in my hand during labor, it took weeks for the bruising, swelling, and discomfort to go away!

That's a relief! So glad you went and had it checked. Hopefully that is the only bump in the road that you have. Rest up and feel better ☺️

Much better than sitting around and wondering what if...glad your going to be okay.

Wonderful news! Keep a warm compress on to get the swelling to go down now that we know what it is.

You all have no idea how wonderful it feels on this end too :)