Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Misfit Shine Review

Okay so after a month or so we got together with my in laws about a week ago to do Christmas. Due to my surgery being just before Christmas and then they had the flu etc so we had delayed it since they are in Connecticut and we are in Massachusetts. So, they got me the misfit shine. Well for those who dont know it is a fitness and activity tracker that wirelessly syncs to your phone. It doesn't require any charging or cables to connect to anything. It comes with two ways to wear it.

One is like a watch and it looks like a watch sort of. It also tells time, if you tap it twice it shows lights that mimic the hands on a clock. Which is nice. It also tracks your activity including just general walking. The best things I have found so far is its waterproof so you can wear it while swimming etc. And you can set it up with your phone to measure swimming since the action differs from walking or running. You can also have it track, basketball, soccer, running and cycling. The second way to wear this is a rubber band like clip that you can put anywhere, i put mine on my shoelaces ( it weighs less than an ounce) for when i use the bike at the gym and it tracks my cycling. It also has sleep tracking.

The app it comes with keeps all your data and it lets you set daily goals for walking or exercise etc, and it ha a direct link to my fitness pal and other sites so you can have it send right to your account. You can also set the same goals as your friends on the appp and see who can get more points than the pther if you want that competitive thing. Now also i have seen on ebay they make other ways to wear this including a really nice looking necklace and a real watch band etc. All in all I have to say I am impressed with it and while I dont know how much I would rely on one, this thing add a bit of fun to an otherwise semi monotonous task. Easiest part is it automatically dumps info to your phone, or you can just open the app tap the screen and bang, info syncs right up.

I give it a 9 out of 10 because nothing is perfect.

I've tried a few activity trackers. The Misfit shine was the one I liked the least. I sent it back after one day.

I've tried:

• JawboneUP24*
  • Vivosmart
  • Polar Loop
  • Misfit Shine

In a perfect world I'd love something that combined the features of JawboneUP24 with the battery life and Water resistance of the Polar Loop. I like that both have various fitness level settings and send reminders and suggestions. It's nice to have trackers that sync up with your phone, and sites like Myfitnesspal, but I also like the ability to look at my activity at at glance on the device itself. I'd love to give the Fitbit a try to see how it stacks up against these, but I know I'd only end up returning it because it's not Water proof.

* I won the JawboneUP 24 in a contest.

It's about personal preference. I have a Misfit Shine and love it. I got it as a gift with the necklace.( in the sea glass color) I love that it's metal since I have plastic and latex allergies. Another perk is that I love how it looks so I never forget to put it on ;)

I've liked it much better since they improved the app for android, I have a Galaxy Note 3. I've read really good reviews on the Withings tracker and the Fitbit too. :) Whatever helps motivate me to move is a good thing in my book lol ;)

It's about personal preference. ....

Pretty sure my preferences and reason for disliking it were listed in my post. I didn't say it did't work, merely that it didn't meet my needs.

Yes BLERDGirl you did. I meant it in an agreeing way. That we all have our own preferences. My reply was just saying that I love it. I'm sorry it came across in a bad way.

@@PinkPhishes - I'm sorry. I was tired & cranky and completely misread the tone of your post.

It's ok :) It's always hard, for me, to determine the right tone of a post lol. I don't even get some people's humor in person. I've not really posted much, but I love this site and I have read a bunch of your posts. I love your advice and how you have shared your experiences. :)

• I'd love to give the Fitbit a try to see how it stacks up against these, but I know I'd only end up returning it because it's not Water proof.

I had to laugh because just this weekend I accidently put my fitbit one (which I really like) through the washer & dryer. It came out fine and apparently a trip through the wash (both front load machines) is 7800 steps!! :D

@@hillgirly - HA! I got in the pool with my JawboneUP24 this morning and leaped out so fast when I realized that I had it on that the instructor thought I was ill! Fortunately it's Water resistant so it survived.

I bought a Misfit Flash which is the newer/budget version of the Shine. It's made with plastic instead of metal but has all the same features as the Shine except it's "only" waterproof up to 30 meters. (All that deep sea diving I was planning to do!) The price is right at 49.99 from the manufacturer.

I really love it and it works for me. I love that you can set it to track an activity automatically with one click instead of just tracking steps, I love that you don't have to charge it, I love that it's waterproof, I love that it tells time, I love that it intuitively tracks your sleep without you having to remember to tell it to, and I love how easy it is to wear and that you can choose between wearing it with the watch band or clipping it on your shoe for more accurate tracking of cycling/walking/using stationary machines. Basically, I just love it. The app and data analysis could be more detailed, but that's more for curiosity's sake than practicality.

Plus! I got mine (coca cola red) for super cheap on Amazon a little over a week ago. It was on sale for 36 bucks. Right now I think the black one is on sale over there.

If anyone has a Misfit Flash or Misfit Shine don't hesitate to add me as a friend on the app. Username: heynowkc

Edited by heynowkc

I've been looking at various trackers and all the reviews at Amazon for a few months. Finally decided I'll have to try them in person b/c what works for one person is a big dislike for another. So to minimize the cash outlay, I just bought a used Fitbit One on Ebay. Almost picked up a Misfit Shine at the same time b/c it was going so cheaply but decided to see how i like the Fitbit first.