Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Opinions. Sleeve vs. Bypass

Hi I'm stephanie. I started my bariatric journey about 2 months ago. I've researched both surgeries but I still haven't decided which one to choose. One bariatric center told me that my bmi being 49 that they would suggest the bypass. But I've had people who have went through the surgery and tell me to do the sleeve and not the bypass. I don't know which I should do. Any info on either that could possibly help me with my choice?

My surgery is April 21st. I was set on the sleeve until my appointment with surgeon. He said it was my choice but when he showed me the weight loss I could expect from the sleeve vs. Bypass I chose bypass. 50lbs difference for my body type. 5'5" 370. Plus I had acid reflux during pregnancy bad & he said it could come back with the sleeve. I don't want to go through that again. The only thing I'm going to not like about the bypass is giving up my NSAIDS for pain/ sinus headache. I've been trying to avoid them to get in the habit of taking other things. All in all the thoughts of maybe losing the extra 50 was my biggest factor. Good luck!

I went into the process set on wanting bypass. Almost three months post- op from the sleeve and loving it. I'm only 15 lbs from my surgeon's goal and about 40 lbs from my goal. Under 200 for the first time in 15 years.

If you need NSAIDS really think before deciding. Even if you think you might not ever need NSAIDS. I had shoulder surgery in November and Tylenol barely touched the pain. Although I have the sleeve my surgeon is very conservative about NSAIDS. I only took Advil when the pain was unbearable and I used a Flector patch at the site of the pain.

How many people know for a fact they will never need NSAIDS in the future? If you know tue answer to that buy some lottery tickets on the way to the hospital....lol.

Good luck with your surgery, which ever one you choose.

Edited by Chele H

Now is ALEVE considered an NSAID? That is the only thing that works for me and I don't think I can give that up.

Yes it is

I chose the sleeve because I wanted to be able to take NSAIDS and steroids if I ever need them. I wanted to avoid dumping that can be common with bypass. I didn't want malabsorption associated with bypass. I also had a BMI over 50, and I'm a grazer. Both of things would have made bypass a better option for me, but the benefits of the sleeve were worth it to me. I can't seem to get the last 10 pounds off, and sometimes I wonder if I would have with bypass, but I'm still not sorry I chose the sleeve.

Now is ALEVE considered an NSAID? That is the only thing that works for me and I don't think I can give that up.

Aleve has always been an NSAID. Better take a look at the list of drugs to avoid.

Hi I'm stephanie. I started my bariatric journey about 2 months ago. I've researched both surgeries but I still haven't decided which one to choose. One bariatric center told me that my bmi being 49 that they would suggest the bypass. But I've had people who have went through the surgery and tell me to do the sleeve and not the bypass. I don't know which I should do. Any info on either that could possibly help me with my choice?

I think if you ask this in the general surgery forum you will get more opinions from every side. However, in the end it's got to be what you feel most comfortable with. Pray about it, read studies, etc. I believe you will know in your gut what to do that is right for you.

They are both good choices. sleevers don't have experience with bypass so can't compare the experience. My BMI was over 50 and I have done well with the sleeve. I suggest you go to a patent support group and talk to patients of both and ask them aboit their own surgery.

To me the main downside of sleeve is that a minority get acid reflux. I am 3 yesrs out and so far fine...

If you have GERD it can get MUCH worse after you have the sleeve. I've had two episodes of "heartburn" since my surgery (just over 2 weeks now) and it's definitely more unpleasant than it used to be. You'll lose weight slower with the sleeve than you do with the bypass because you don't have malabsorption going on.

Sleeve also means you don't have dumping syndrome (some day that's good, some say that's bad). Sleeve means you're not barred from NSAIDS permanently. Recovery from sleeve seems a bit faster when compared to the bypass. You don't have Vitamin deficiencies as bad with the sleeve as you do with the bypass.

You also don't lose as much with the sleeve - on average 60% of excess weight. Gastric bypass is 65-70% and it happens faster. Those are averages though - that includes people who go on a milkshake diet a year after their sleeve and gain all the weight back.

I'd say that if the 60% mark leaves you still in the morbid obese range, then I would say that the bypass might be a better bet.

Can I ask what your starting weight was? I'm at 285 and my personal goal after everything is said and done is 140

I started at 272 in early July. Currently 192. My goal is 150.

My surgeon says absolutely no NSAIDS with the sleeve- I get Migraines and Tylenol is really not effective so I asked him again at my 6 months check up and he reiterated that I should be off NSAIDS for life (but did encourage me to ask neurologist about alternative options if migraines are acting up.) I do have a history of gastritis so maybe that is informing his advice.

I honestly wish I would have had the bypass as apposed to the sleeve. My GERD has gotten worse and my weight loss is slow. Nothing I can do about it now except keep on keepin on!