Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Massive stall! Grrr! Frustrating!

I had a revision one year ago (January 13 2014) and I have been in a massive plateau. I've only lost about 25lbs in the last year but I've also lost about 18inches. I've hit a major major major plateua. Its been about an 8 month stall. I work out about 3-4 times a week with either running 3miles or doing Zumba. I was keeping my calories to 1200 before exercise but then realized I need to eat back and to up my calorie intake. So I have been netting about 1400-1500 calories a day. And forget about any more inches coming off. I measure myself about once a month and nothing changes!!! GRRR!!!!

Its just so frustrating since I am more active than I ever was and now I cant even lose 1 pound or 1 inch!

I'm gonna change up my fitness routine a bit and the foods I'm eating and see it that will break this stall. Instead of Zumba, I'm gonna swim laps and do strength training for a while. I'm gonna keep running since I will be doing a half marathon in November and lots of 5ks and 10ks runs during the spring and summer.

Wish me luck on getting through the massive stall!

IMO, no weight loss for 8 months isn't a stall or a plateau, it's maintenance. Check with your medical team but it sounds like you need to either increase your exercise (without upping your calories) or keep your exercise the same and decrease your calories. According to the tests and calculations my team did, 1400 calories per day is maintenance for me and I won't lose weight eating that much. Good luck!

Possibly... But if i have 1000-1200 calories I am extremely hungry. I guess I'll have to fill my diet with lots of veggies and high Protein foods to get me through to my next meal! Or increase my activies to be able to eat 1500 calories a day Ugh.. why does it have to be so hard?! :blink:

Well it's been a while since I've communicated. Sorry, but life issues taken presidence. I've been caring for my hubby who fell out of bed one morning having a seizure. It's been tough but God is good and we are taking it a day at a time. He had 4 total by the time the ambulance got to the hospital. I'm eating but can't eat much. I fight to stay away from the sweet and fatty stuff but I must be doing pretty good because I'm still losing. I have to admit I'm kinda of tired of the shakes. They taste good and I've added fruit and a raw egg. I try to have at least 1 a day. Now I'm thinking about buying the T25 workout video, not sure when I can do it yet with my knee accident but I want to have it. I drink ISO 100 it's like a shake but I've never been big on shakes is the issue. I've missed you all and hopefully I'm back at least 1-2 times a week. Be blessed and keep losing!

pancake, I would try 2 changes 1. Go low carb and 2. Go high intensity shorter duration work outs. Zumba is not high intensity. Look up HIIT for ideas.

Vee welcome back. Sorry for your troubles! You should start a thread about your status so people see it.

Yeah, I'm gonna change up my diet. Low carb high Protein. As much as I like to do zumba, I'm gonna stop going as much and mix up my workouts. Im gonna start running more and do some strength training too. I'm sure that will help too.

Try kettlebell workouts. I'm just starting out I do 100 swings a day. Hoping to build up to 300. Try eating 1000 to 1100 cals. Good luck

Try kettlebell workouts. I'm just starting out I do 100 swings a day. Hoping to build up to 300. Try eating 1000 to 1100 cals. Good luck

We all have to do something we enjoy, that fits our lifestyle, but High intensity interval training has a proven track record of increasing fitness, reducing bodyfat etc. It is usually done by sprinting, but due to knee issues, I did it with a spinning bike when I started it about 2 years ago. I took time off from it, but now, I am starting up taking a kickboxing class and it is created around HIIT concepts - tough and effective workouts in less time.

Previous to shifting to HIIT type stuff I was doing eliptical, treadmill and weight machines. I was not making progress on my fitness - just staying steady state - until I switched to HIIT. I don't lift weights anymore, I do all my strength training as "bootcamp style" like pushups, planks, lunges, burpees and other forms of torture. If I had time to add weight training, I would use free weights over machines for best results.

Anyway, I also suspect calories are too high, but I don't track calories. I track carbs which tends to help keep calories down too.

I'm starting to change up my work outs. Instead of just zumba, I'm doing more running. I saw surgeon for my 1 year post op last week. He's an avid runner and suggested I do more of running during the week. And also do more strength training. I told him my calorie count and he didn't say it was too high. If I lower my calories to 1000 then I am extremely hungry and will binge eat in the bad stuff that tastes so good! I'm gonna see how this new work out routine goes. Once I ever get to my goal weight I will definitely be able to maintain it!

I haven't been sleeved yet but this is my biggest fear

Are you getting enough fluids, or have they dropped off over time? Often hunger is really thirst in disguise. I find that drinking TONS of fluids keeps my sleeve full and I stay satisfied longer. Just something to think about. Good luck!