Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preop birth control restriction

Well I am very excited to announce I got my date yesterday. February 11th

I am so excited, one thing that I think I overlooked in all the excitement was the birth control restriction. The notice my dr sent via email today said no normal birth control 2 weeks prior to operation. Well if I was on the pill that wouldn't be a problem.... However I have a Mirena IUD. I haven't been able to reach my docs office today regarding the matter but I'm really curious if it really matters? Mirena is a hormonal form of birth control but it is a relatively low dose from what I know. I really hope I don't have to try and squeeze in an additional appointment to my OB to have it removed (especially after just a year and a half ago I had to pay $1k for it).

Please help, has anyone else had similar issues?

I would definitely be checking on that. I had ankle surgery 2 years ago, and the surgeon didn't have me stop bc, I developed a blood clot. I had a Nuvaring. I can never use regular bc again. In fact, I ended up pregnant 4 months later. I now have a 19 yr old, 12 yr old, and a 13 month old. (Born Christmas Eve) Bottom line, blood clots suck, big time.

I would definitely get in touch with your gyno. I was told to stop birth control bc of blood clots that could possibly happen

You might want to discuss it with your surgeon. I'm on continuous bc (no breaks/periods -artificial menopause) due to endometriosis. If I come off the pill, I'm in excruciating pain, and become bedridden. Even being off with the time i take the pill by over an hour can lead to intense pain. I discussed it with my surgeon. We evaluated the risk/benefit together and he said that he doesn't see a need for me to stop, but precautions will be taken for clots. Run it by your doc- in your case he may say have it removed, but it can't hurt to open the discussion.

Just wanted to update yall that after speaking with my doctor he recommended that we not remove my Mirena birth control.

My surgeon required a month without hormonal bc. It's because you are more likely to develope blood clots. I had to stop my depo two months ago. My date is Feb 2nd.

I have a mirena also, and I asked the same question at my inital visit! They Said it should be fine also!