Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was your band removal and revision surgery done at the same time?

How did your qualify for revision surgey? I am trying to get the bypass, but they keep talking about my BMI. I currently have lap band so i qualified to get that Wright? So my biggest question is how do i get my insurance to pay?

Yes, my revision was done all in one surgery. My surgeon said it was the most common surgery she does.

@@giugiu37 my insurance paid for the revision because when my band slipped I regained most of the weight I had lost, so I had to get it out either way and the weight gain showed that I would not be successful without restriction.

My insurance had me do 6 months of doctor supervised weight management education psych eval and nutrition classes to prove the band failed and sleeve could be successful with the support education and effective nutritional supplements and supervision

I had the band removed and sleeve done at the same time. The first fee weeks were tough and then one day I felt great. I also has a huge epigastric hernia that was caused by all the throwing up I did with the band. I say do it!! Well worth it. I haven't had any carbs since the sleeve was done. Email me at cbassoff@gmail.com if you want to talk. Good luck!! Caren

Caren,

How long did you have the band? What was making the first few weeks so tough?

Does anyone know of any men that has had the sleeve? My husband is very interested but would like to get some info and some questions answered before he makes a final decision.Any info out there?? Thank you

A guy that I used to work with got the sleeve a year ago. He said it's the best thing he ever did. It was talking to him that I decided to move forward with the revision surgery.

Thank you for the info,I am actually looking for a guy who has had it also,my husband is thinking about it as well.Is your guy friend able to talk about it on here and give us some info about what he went through and how he doing now with every day life?

My band was removed and replaced with sleeve on 12/29. My heaviest was 232lbs and currently I am 168 and stuck on that number. I joined LA fitness yesterday and my health insurance is incurring the monthly fee. Today I meet with a trainer and we will go over what I can or cannot do.

I don't think the guy I know is on this. I do know that he did not go to the surgeons in my area that are well known & highly recommended. I'm sure if he were to consult with a surgeon near you- they can send him to a support group where he can talk to people in person. I was required to attend the support group meetings & there were men there

I just had revision surgery on 1/30, band to sleeve! I had it all in one surgery as well as a hiatal hernia repair! I was under for about 3 hours! All went well! When I asked my Dr why Drs sometimes do it in separate surgeries he had 2 answers, first of all it depends on the pt and comorbities, how long can someone tolerate anesthesia ? Since just having sleeve surgery you are under for about 1 1/2 hrs! The second answer was interesting he said if he did in 2 surgeries he would make more $$$ which is so true ! Also in addition the pt has to take 2 separate LOAs if working! So in the end I would look for a surgeon who did it all in one surgery! good luck

So far so good. The revision was done on Wednesday. I refused the pain meds after the surgery because I didn't want the nausea and the pain was bearable. I went home the next day (Thursday). On Thursday night, it was really weird, my arms started to break out in itchy hives. I put cream on and that seemed to help. Last night I took some Benydryl. I stayed on my couch all day Friday and that's when I started the Protein Shakes and then I really started to feel better. I drink Premier Protein because if the 30grams. Today(sat) I finally took a shower. In between shakes, I constantly sip Water

I am just about 4 weeks out from revision lap band to sleeve. Lapband was in 2006 and complications at every turn.

My revision took 3 hours. 1.5 for lap band removal and 1.5 for sleeve. My lap band was encased in scar tissue and my port was hard to get out. Two incisions are still a little sore where they had to pull the band and port out and one incision they removed my stomach. Nothing that I need pain meds for, just notice the soreness still. I was on pain meds for 5 days and happy to have them.

My Doc prefers to do the revision in one surgery if at all possible because he feels it is easier on the patient. Two surgeries involve all the pre-op diets, anesthesia twice, recovery twice, etc.

For me, starting liquids and eating mushy foods after surgery was very different than with the lap band. With the band I knew immediately if I had too much or didn't chew well enough. My experience with the sleeve is if I start to feel nauseated it's probably too late.

With the sleeve they say to stop eating AS SOON AS YOU FEEL FULL which is right on. A few times thinking it was like a lap-band experience, I ate a few too many bites and/or ate too fast and vomited immediately. (which we want to avoid as much as possible so as not to challenge the new stomach and staple line) It took me too long to figure this out and I vomited about 6 times over 10 days. Once just on Water and a pill but I expect I drank too much Water in one gulp. Also on a Protein drink that I took too big of swallow. So being a slow learner, now for me, It is sip, wait. Sip, wait. Take a small sip of pureed drink, wait a few minutes. Take a small baby spoon bite of pureed food and wait. Try another, then wait. The lap-band let me know immediately that I had goofed up. The sleeve is very different for me.

With the sleeve I literally can only eat two tablespoons of mushed cottage cheese and it can take 15 minutes to eat that. Even a Protein Drink. With the band a Protein Drink would go right thru. This is not my experience with the sleeve. I'm told that this very sensitive time will pass and it will get easier.

My doc keeps reminding me that I'm healing for 3 months or more and to be careful, go slow. It takes a while for the new stomach to settle down. It is different for each person but swelling can continue for a while, especially if we vomit. After vomiting I had go back on liquids because they were concerned I had a leak due to the vomiting. Like the band after surgery we have to do all we can NOT to vomit. I'm just hoping I didn't cause a leak but it seems OK now after a few days of slowing down, I haven't vomited.

As for energy, it is about the same as for the lap-band. I'm slowly getting back to normal.

What I am eating is very limited. Protein drinks, mushed cottage cheese/beans, Soups without the chunks, watery oatmeal, nibble on cheese. Everything tastes weird. I loved plain water before, now it tastes terrible. I have to mix some fruit juice in it. Before surgery I could drink crystal light, now it tastes very bad. Things change.

Just my thoughts on the diff between the lap-band experience and the sleeve. Hope you won't make my mistakes.

Hi where did you have it done, I am Canada so it works here differently so I am thinking of going to Mexico to have the band removed and gastric done in one scoop here once the band is out due to corrosion I have to wait 18 months and I do not want to do that. I do not want to fight with myself and gain back weight. any information I can get from anyone I am all for it. Thank you Pat

I am just about 4 weeks out from revision lap band to sleeve. Lapband was in 2006 and complications at every turn.

My revision took 3 hours. 1.5 for lap band removal and 1.5 for sleeve. My lap band was encased in scar tissue and my port was hard to get out. Two incisions are still a little sore where they had to pull the band and port out and one incision they removed my stomach. Nothing that I need pain meds for, just notice the soreness still. I was on pain meds for 5 days and happy to have them.

My Doc prefers to do the revision in one surgery if at all possible because he feels it is easier on the patient. Two surgeries involve all the pre-op diets, anesthesia twice, recovery twice, etc.

For me, starting liquids and eating mushy foods after surgery was very different than with the lap band. With the band I knew immediately if I had too much or didn't chew well enough. My experience with the sleeve is if I start to feel nauseated it's probably too late.

With the sleeve they say to stop eating AS SOON AS YOU FEEL FULL which is right on. A few times thinking it was like a lap-band experience, I ate a few too many bites and/or ate too fast and vomited immediately. (which we want to avoid as much as possible so as not to challenge the new stomach and staple line) It took me too long to figure this out and I vomited about 6 times over 10 days. Once just on Water and a pill but I expect I drank too much Water in one gulp. Also on a Protein drink that I took too big of swallow. So being a slow learner, now for me, It is sip, wait. Sip, wait. Take a small sip of pureed drink, wait a few minutes. Take a small baby spoon bite of pureed food and wait. Try another, then wait. The lap-band let me know immediately that I had goofed up. The sleeve is very different for me.

With the sleeve I literally can only eat two tablespoons of mushed cottage cheese and it can take 15 minutes to eat that. Even a Protein drink. With the band a protein drink would go right thru. This is not my experience with the sleeve. I'm told that this very sensitive time will pass and it will get easier.

My doc keeps reminding me that I'm healing for 3 months or more and to be careful, go slow. It takes a while for the new stomach to settle down. It is different for each person but swelling can continue for a while, especially if we vomit. After vomiting I had go back on liquids because they were concerned I had a leak due to the vomiting. Like the band after surgery we have to do all we can NOT to vomit. I'm just hoping I didn't cause a leak but it seems OK now after a few days of slowing down, I haven't vomited.

As for energy, it is about the same as for the lap-band. I'm slowly getting back to normal.

What I am eating is very limited. Protein drinks, mushed cottage cheese/beans, Soups without the chunks, watery oatmeal, nibble on cheese. Everything tastes weird. I loved plain water before, now it tastes terrible. I have to mix some fruit juice in it. Before surgery I could drink crystal light, now it tastes very bad. Things change.

Just my thoughts on the diff between the lap-band experience and the sleeve. Hope you won't make my mistakes.