Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was your band removal and revision surgery done at the same time?

I want the band out - of that I am certain. I am not sure if I want a revision to gastric sleeve at this point especially if it's two separate surgeries. I am 64 and had the band done in 2008. It never worked as promised for anything, especially weight loss. I lost about 75 pounds - 60 of which was from the 6 month pre-op diet and the 2 weeks pre & post op liquid diet. So the band only helped me lose 15 lbs. I have had to have all the fill taken out (I have a 4cc band) due to a trip to the ER with a severe stuck episode. That was in 2009. So, essentially I have this thing in me that doesn't work, causes shoulder pain, and stuck episodes (no rhyme or reason as to food, etc.) which I can now help by making myself throw up. Sometimes just a few bites causes pressure. I am done having this thing in me that does not work, does not aid in weight loss and causes problems.

But I just wanted to know how many who had the removal and revision had it done at the same time?

My wife had it done at the same time. I'm having it done also.

Your story sounds exactly the same as mine. I'm getting my band/port out on February 24th and sleeve 6 weeks later on April 21st to allow time for scar tissue to heal.

My band is coming out next Thursday and being revised to the gastric sleeve. The surgeon I am using (Dr. Schroder in Richmond, VA) says he sees a lot of lap band patients who are looking for a revision due to complications with the band. He does it in one surgery. In fact, I had pre-op today and he said it only adds an extra 10 minutes to the surgery to take the band out. He removes the band, cleans up the scar tissue, and performs the sleeve.

Jennifer

I was successful with the band which I have had for 7 years but I am looking forward to a better qaulity of life with the sleeve. I have regained about 45lbs (100lb loss)after band slippage and two pregnancies. I am revising in two weeks, my surgeon completes in a one step process but won't guarantee it depending on if your band has caused significant damage but this is rare.

I am also going from band to sleeve on March 2nd 2015. Tired of the band with tons of stuck episodes running to the bathroom. And on top of it eating as much as I want. Lost around 50 Lbs from band and gained another 20-25 Lbs which seems really unreasonable for spending so much of money. I am excited to get the band out. Let me know if there are friends in Maryland around Salisbury Area who would like to be friends in the journey.

Just had a revision band to sleeve Jan 13. It was done in same surgery. It was my preference and also of my surgeon. It took 3 hours. 1.5 to remove band and 1.5 for sleeve. There was a lot of scare tissue around band, the most doc had seen but he got that bugger out.

I am also 64 and was concerned. I had a few rough days but at 8 days out now I'm doing oK. Still a little sore and tired but getting around OK. Slept a lot the first 4 days and had a few other issues but so far, so good.

Would be happy to answer your questions anytime. Best wishes on your process.

I had my band out and revised to the sleeve in one proceedure. I just wish i had the sleeve from the very beginning. SO much nicer not worrying about food getting stuck or if my band had slipped! Good Luck!!

My surgeon would not do it at the same time. Ban removed 11/3 hoping to have sleeve done in March. He said they used to do it all together but too many issues occurred. Good luck

My Upper GI and Endoscopy showed no signs of slippage or other trauma, so mine were done at the same time. I had no surgical complications, I think the surgery took about 4 hours. I knew I was getting the sleeve, so there was no sense in splitting up the surgeries and facing the risks of anesthesia twice. The revision worked great, I'm down 28lbs and 4 pant sizes in just 8 weeks!

I was banded in 2008. Not very successful. Had revision one week ago today - both removal of the band and sleeved. Surgery took about 4 hours. I'm happy to have had it done all at once. Its a pain to take off work twice, not to mention going thru the pain and risks twice.

I feel pretty good, not much soreness left, just really tired. But I also have Lyme disease and that zonks me too. Mentally I feel pretty awesome, ready to rock this. I prepared for this surgery very differently and am very optimistic about success. In fact, I feel a "tumescent glow" :-)

I was also banded in 2008. Having the revision next week and starting to get nervous

Banded 2006. Revision last Thursday all so gallbladder taken out.

Banded June 2010, total failure after cancer, a horrible car accident, very unrealistic expectations, and poor education. Band was removed and I was converted to the sleeve 12/31/14 one surgery. Took about 90 minutes. Had an extensive hernia repair done at the same time as well so I had to spend 3 days in the hospital cuz I was so swollen I couldn't get fluids down. I'm almost a month out and am still struggling with the new lifestyle but so happy I did it.