Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was your band removal and revision surgery done at the same time?

Hi. I had my band removed on 2/20 and having my sleeve done in April. Luckily my insurance is covering it and I love my doctor so I wouldnt want anyone else to do it. He wants to wait until my stomach heals and tissue is softer. I am fine with that. I am using the time between surgeries to do research and I have started living like I have the sleeve. I drink Protein and am trying to eat slow, not drink with meals, ect. I am excited about my surgery date. Cant get here soon enough for me!

Good luck to all.

Mine will be done at same time

I went for a revision in October 2014. My doctor was planning on revising at the same time as band removal, but once he got in there he just did band removal. Scar tissue and adhesions were very bad, I had the old 4cc band put in in 2005. Surgeon said he "trenched out a trough" of scar tissue from my stomach in preparation for the Sleeve. I let my stomach and esophagus heal and was just Sleeved on Monday March 9. I would have preferred to have it done in one surgery, but I trust that my doctor knows best. Sleeved for 4 days, lol, So far so good.

I ended up having lapband to sleeve revision on March 3rd. Best decision I ever made. It took 3 hrs and doc said I had a ton of scar tissue but he pushed through. I'm so glad he did it all in 1 surGery. I really feel like if anybody else had done my surgery they would have done the removal only. 20lbs down so far !!

Mine was done at the same time, although my surgeon warns it's not 100% because he won't do it all in one if the stomach is too damaged from the band and needs time to heal.

There are many surgeons who simply won't do it all at once and many who will, under the right circumstances that make it safe and effective.

I just had my conversion surgery last week (3.11.15) and my doctor was able to do the removal and conversion in one shot. I spoke to him prior to my surgery and he said I had the option of having my band removed and then I don't know if that caused me as much pain as I had but either way, I'm happy it was done at the same time. My doctor told my mom right after my surgery that I had a lot of scar tissue which was probably a result of throwing up as often as I was.

Just to back track, my band did not slip or errode; I was simply intolerant of the band. I wasn't able to eat most foods without getting stuck and throwing up. After two years of being filled and unfilled and barely any significant weight losss, my doctor and I agreed it was time to convert.