Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2007 Bandsters

Wow, you met your goal in less than a year? What an accomplishment. Congrats on your success! I can only hope my is as good!!

edie,

thanks for joining in. I have read your posts on other forums and was very interested in your progress. I am only a few years older and have the same starting weight and goal. Since you had surg. last July you became my "poster child", my inspiration. I had many of the questions others have already asked you. Thanks for all of your support.

I have a visit with the pulmonologist (asthma and sleep apnea) and endoscopy scheduled the first of next week. I am always worried they will find something that will keep me from having the surgery...I know I am just being a nervous freak here. Being in nursing gives more knowledge to worry about and I read anything and everything which just adds to the knowledge..and worry. I will be glad when they are over with.

I haven't started exercising yet but after reading edie's post, I am going to try some easy walking to begin with everyday. I will let you know my progress.

cathy

Hi All,

Wow, I must have been seriously snooooozing and missed this thread a few days ago. I'm a July bandster!! July 12 can't get here soon enough. I've been going to the gym 3 days a week (all I can squeeze in ) and taking extra walks with the dog. I recently graduated from grad school and now that I have my mind molded I getting my butt in shape and healthy. I can't wait to kick it up a notch! I feel really fortunate that I am only paying about $2000 out of pocket for everything.

Hi ya'll! I am so excited b/c I just got my date yesterday. I will be a July Bandster! I am so looking forward to this. I have been on LBT for a while now and I've read just about everything. I love this site.

I look forward to getting to know each of you. We are gonna do great. :))

Chimboree26 and gwhite,

Congrats on getting the date. It will be here before we know it.

I've been out a few times walking with my son recently. It's been a while since I've done anything, but I have a job that has me on my feet all day, and very active, so it helps.

Thought about starting weight training next week, but I'm not sure if it will benefit me to start a program now and have to stop for 4-6 weeks after surgery, and then start again. I was actually at the Dr. (PCP) 2 weeks ago for a dog bite and had to go back today. I actually lost a pound, and wasn't even trying. That's a first.

So chimboree and gwhite, where are you having your surgery?

Lynette

Chimboree26 and gwhite,

Congrats on getting the date. It will be here before we know it.

I've been out a few times walking with my son recently. It's been a while since I've done anything, but I have a job that has me on my feet all day, and very active, so it helps.

Thought about starting weight training next week, but I'm not sure if it will benefit me to start a program now and have to stop for 4-6 weeks after surgery, and then start again. I was actually at the Dr. (PCP) 2 weeks ago for a dog bite and had to go back today. I actually lost a pound, and wasn't even trying. That's a first.

So chimboree and gwhite, where are you having your surgery?

Lynette

Thanks, Lynette. I am having my surgery done by Dr. Halmi at Potomac Hospital in VA. I actually got a little nervous last night thinking about the surgery. I was like, wow, this is really gonna happen!!!!!!!

I know what you mean, I had a dream last night that a friend was having bypass surgery, and died. I was so upset all day, and someone I talked to said it's probaly my sub conscious worring about the surgey. I'm not worried at all. I've had two previous lap surgeries, and both went well.

(gall bladder removal, tubal pregnancy) So I'm real comfortable about the surgery part. I think having a surgeon you trust makes it comfortable.

I know what you mean, I had a dream last night that a friend was having bypass surgery, and died. I was so upset all day, and someone I talked to said it's probaly my sub conscious worring about the surgey. I'm not worried at all. I've had two previous lap surgeries, and both went well.

(gall bladder removal, tubal pregnancy) So I'm real comfortable about the surgery part. I think having a surgeon you trust makes it comfortable.

Goodness gracious! Yep, definitely sounds like the subconscious at work. That is great that you are so calm about it. I've had other surgeries before, but none of them have been lap. I don't usually get too nervous when having surgery, and thankfully I recover very quickly...so I'm praying this will be no different. I'm scheduled on a Wed and planning to go back on Monday. I have a desk job, so I should be okay.

I didn't check your signature, but where are you from/having surgery?

Lynette, you subconscious is definitely working overtime. I have some of the same fears, which isn' t really rational. Although I have never had laproscopic surgery, I have had other surgery and worked in an OR for 15 years. I can honestly say in all that time I never saw anyone have problems with anesthesia or lap surgery. I had sinus surgery 2 years ago without a 2nd thought. I really needed that surgery.

I think I just have that old record still playing somewhere saying "you can do it if you just try". But, you know, I have tried and this IS needed surgery. My weight is a greater health risk than my sinuses ever were. So I just keep telling myself this hoping that record will run out of power.

This group has been great in helping me realize all of that and helping to turn down the volume on the old record. Welcome to the group! This is going to be a fantastic July.

cathy

Chimboree,

I'm from Covington, KY and having surgery in Floence, KY, about 10-15 minutes from me.

At least I had no more bad dreams last night. I told my friend today about the dream. She thought I was going to tell her I dreamed she was pregnant (she's 63) so we laughed it off.

I turned in my medical leave papers today. I'm taking 4 weeks off. I have a physical job, and on my feet all day, and I get 15 weeks medical leave paid at 66% so I figured I'll take off 4 weeks. This way I can do all the liquids at home, and hopefully be on mushy's when I go back. I'm looking forward to having a month off over the summer. I plan to sit outside and soak up the sun while my son swims in his little pool.

Sunny, any word on a date:confused: I guess that's a stupid question, because you'd want to post that right away. I'm praying you get one soon, and will join us in bandland.

Lynette

Hey all, Just letting everyone know we're going to jump over to the Lucky # 7 thread that was already started before this one.

The more the merrier, so come join us there, please.

See you there,

Lynette

Hello All, My name is Corinna and I'm from northern British Columbia in Canada - you know the area where the flooding is taking place at the moment - I'm not sure if we make the world wide news or not - we're kind of remote.

Anyway, I'm scheduled for my lap band surgery on July 12, in Mississauga, Ontario with Dr. Mumford at the Surgical Weight Loss Centre (SWLC) - before deciding on lap band surgery, I was originally interested in gastric bypass (for all the initial reasons - rapid weight loss & especially the part where B.C. Medical pays for it) but after researching the pro's & con's and having someone show up at my work place and then another person show up at my home, try to convince me not to have gastric bypass, I began to really look into lap band surgery. (Their experience with gastric bypass - 20 years ago was not good and today they're still unhealthy looking - I've totally avoided talking to THOSE people again about my choices about myself)

Instead I continued to do my research and now since I myself feel 100% confident about my choice and my reasons for it, when I have conveyed it to (selective) other people I've so far received good support. I also have a Weight Loss Surgery Support Group in my community that hold monthy meetings and Ive connected with a few people that I can call and talk to. It's great to connect with people of common ground and I'm glad I found you all in this July bandsters group.

Corinna,

Welcome!!!!!! Please come join us in the Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters thread. There was two threads started for July 07 and we decided to combine threads. Our group is growing every day, and I'm so glad to meet you.

Please join us at the Lucky # 7 thread.

Lynette:)

Hi, i have a tentative date of July 5th (waiting on insurance approval).... i have just submitted my request for vacation and have been asked by my manager what i am having done..... any suggestions other than none of your business? my office is very 'busy' and i prefer to keep my personal life to myself until i want to share...

Hey July 07 banders...I'm joining in on the fun! My name is Raquel, I'm from the Kansas City area. I only started lap band research earlier this year and I cannot believe how smoothly things are rolling for me. I have my pre-op visit on 7/12 and surgery scheduled for 7/20! I believe alot has to do with my insurance. They are covering the whole thing @ 100%! I'm also a little nervous about the actual procedure. Other than having 3 kids, I've never had to be in the hospital or surgery table EVER! My biggest fear is the anesthsia (sp)! I think I'm going to not wake up from it....Pretty crazy, huh? However, I know that this is the absolute, best decision I have ever made, so that outweighs some of my fears. Good luck to you all!!