Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WLS "not easy way out"; & GBS & Alcoholism

Hi. Just sharing new articles at the ASMBS: http://connect.asmbs.org/stories-of-the-week-01-05-15.html.

Example: WLS is not the "easy way out"; and the risk of more alcoholism after gastric bypass [or, seemingly all WLS]. Click links:

Experts: Weight-Loss Surgery Not an Easy Way Out (DelawareOnline)

In a local Delaware story featuring two patients who had bariatric surgery after years of struggling with obesity and comorbidities, Dr. John Morton, president of the ASMBS, discusses the advancements in surgical techniques and laparoscopic technology that have made weight-loss surgery "a very safe procedure," Morton said. In Delaware, close to one-third of adults are considered obese and nearly 80,000 people live with diabetes and another 57,340 have heart disease. The article notes, “Unlike most states, Delaware's Obamacare plans do cover bariatric surgery, but candidates must go through screening before it is approved.” All hospitals in the state offer weight-loss management services ranging from nutrition help to performing most of the surgeries on site. It is also noted that, according to ASMBS, there are about 18 million people who qualify for surgery, but only one percent go through with it. And health officials say, a “lack of information and insurance issues have been a deterrence, even as the surgery itself has evolved during the last 50 years.” Dr. Morton comments, "Obesity is a disease and like any disease it deserves treatment… it is something that is really critical. Patients at that weight don't have a lot of options.”

Alcoholism After Gastric Bypass: Is It In Your Mind Or Gut?
(ScienceLine)

In 2012, a large study published in the JAMA reported that the percentage of patients abusing alcohol increased by 2% after surgery, and other studies have corroborated the findings, even a decade after surgery. Since then, scientists have competing ideas for why gastric bypass patients show higher rates of alcohol abuse post-surgery. One early theory proposed addiction transference, suggesting people adopt new addictions after weight-loss in lieu of food. But more recent evidence suggests specific metabolic and hormonal changes triggered by gastric bypass may leave patients vulnerable to alcoholism, but not other addictions. “Whether it’s addiction transference or something else going on, we really don’t know at this point,” said James Mitchell, a doctor and professor of neuroscience at the University of North Dakota. What’s certain, he said, is that the high rates of alcoholism in patients who have had a gastric bypass operation cannot be attributed to chance.

I wonder if the alcoholism is the same in sleeve patients?

For those of us who turned to food for comfort, finding a way to live without self medication is harder than the weight loss itself. I do believe addiction transfer is real, and may be both biological and psychological in origin. I'm grateful to have a 12-step program for the overeating. For me, the battle was never just about finding the right diet or weight loss tool, surgical or otherwise.

My program truly stresses the link between WLS and alcoholism...to the point that every professional in the process: nutritionist, psychologist, nurses and surgeons mention it. I chose to stop drinking 6 months prior to surgery and have no desire to resume...just like I've chosen not to eat white bread, rice, or potatoes. But, I also wonder if some WLS patients have an issue with alcohol because they've heard about the dangers so often.

Thanks for sharing

Did I read it right - 2% higher than general population? While concerning, I thought it would be MUCH higher.

I was told sleevers are similiarly impacted as bypass.

I have had the sad experience to know someone who became an alcoholic after having gastric by pass and it is very sad indeed as the drinking of "spirits" has a much faster absorption rate in someone who has this surgery and the affects of the liquor are felt much more profoundly enhancing the addiction.

Sadly this person experienced many many issues as a result including, sepsis, kidney failure, sirosis of the liver and an untimely death at the age of 46.

She was not someone you could speak to easily and would not seek or participate in counseling.

I too know someone who died in her sleep at around age 40. She was a diabetic and became alcoholic, left her family, got uber skinny and was sick alot since she wasn't eating well - really went rogue post gastric bypass. Luckily that is the exception but it does happen.

Well tha true thanks for sharing….i choose to stop drinking weeks ahead of surgery and i was a social drinker…i had two sips of a drink on New Years and that was the end of that….Am a horrible drunk anyway and i can't hold it so i stay away ….

Wow, thanks for sharing. I can definitely see addiction transference being a risk. I come from a family of alcohol and drug addicts, but food as always been my drug of choice. Definitely something I'll keep in mind.