Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are your thoughts on smoking before and after Gastric bypass surgery

The only thing I disagree with the Doctors when they say if you can't quit smoking then your chances of succeeding after surgery will decrease because one has nothing to do with the other. The surgery is a tool to help me control the my eating habits and unfortunately there is no surgery that I know of to help with nicotine cravings. So the 2 are very different. I know that I'll follow all the rules post surgery and I'm gonna figure out how to quit smoking but it's just really hard. I've even prayed about it, asking the Lord for help.

My idea is to try the gum to control the cravings, and try to stay home, because going out seems to be the trigger. I'm fine at home. I Don't even think about smoking at all, it's just when I leave the house and go out and party.

Start vaping and then keep lowering your nicotine levels down.. I vape now but am 100% nicotine free!!

Hope this helps and good luck ????

I am required to quit. They will be testing me, and will check for nicotine in my system for the last 3 months. I've been smoke free for a year now. I did it with the patch. It was not easy. I smoked for 30 years. But I want this surgery more than cigarettes.

As man, you guys really, really got to me. I guess, Thank You? Yes!

I actually smoked cigars for three years but quit last year. But with the idea of my surgery coming up, I thought, well, I'll smoke now since I never, ever can again. So it's been a week's worth of smoking. It ended when I read your post's. My surgeon was kinda snarky after my upper endoscopy the other day. He said all looks good to him. But he uttered something about "all I'm gonna do for you now is just take the Band out." No! But the smoking is probably why. He's real strict (I feel safer for him being so) so no more smoking for me. If I have to wait six months to prove myself, I will. Silly how I want to live by getting the RNY, but thought nothing of all the evils from smoking. You guys have the proverbial slap I need. But now I'm upset about waiting even longer for surgery because I can barely stand or walk, with lots of etc's. I am Pro-Me now. Bless all of you!

While I am not and never have been a smoker, my surgeon made it clear that he WILL NOT operate on anyone who has even the slightest trace of nicotine in their system. He actually has you do a urine test the day of your surgery to check for nicotine! While that may sound harsh, he is only looking out for his patients best interests and health! Perhaps your PCP could prescribe something to help you wean yourself off of the cigarettes?

I think you need to stay realistic. He's not smoking enough any more to have a 'smokers cough' anyway. After your surgery, I'd still commit to not smoking for at least a month, but smoking as little as you do a month isn't that bad. There are people that STILL drink everyday and I've seen more deaths attributed to that then smoking.

For you, its just a 'treat' a few times a month, thats fine!

Quitting smoking caused my grandma a lot of depression. She hates it. After a few years, she started begging her kids to smoke around her because she wanted the second hand smoke.

Five years on and she's miserable, so it irks me and everyone is jumping on this bandwagon.

Just like everything else; if you only do it in moderation,like you are, and know when to abstain, you should be perfectly fine.

I'd still quit for the recommended amount of time of the few months before and the month of surgery. You may not want a cig after, but if you do, just remember to leave it at one or two.

Smoking causes ulcers, and there is a risk of not healing properly, which can cause leaks. Just sayin'

I quit smoking in October 2014, started back up in December, but vaped for the most part. I have surgery in two weeks and I'm vaping no nicotine. It's so hard. Losing weight for the 6 month diet was def easier.

I'm hoping that 2 weeks is enough to get all the gunk out. I def feel better vaping than I do smoking. There's just a certain "feel" that a cigarette has. Getting good vape equipment helps, but I'm not certain that it is any "better." There's just not enough conclusive stidies out there. (Which is an entirely different topic).

I was told by my surgeon no smoking for 3 mos and this included vaping. I have been smoke free for 30 days and I used Chantix to help stop smoking. I have had no crazy side effects from taking it thus far.