Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Execution takes 2 hours, 10 tries, condemned man given bathroom break in the middle

I just want to thank you all for this very entertaining, heated thread. It kept me out of the refrigerator for over 1/2 hour.

And isn't this what a support forum is suppose to so!!!!!!:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

I wish that worked for me, Debby. I just bring the food into my home office and eat at the computer!

Bad Carlene!

Mark, I notcied your comment, asked for clarification, and you responded clearly. You are only in favor of the death penalty to kill christians. Joke or not, this is very poor taste and extremely stupid. You may lack tact in some cases to be witty and smart assed, but this was just dumb. Can you imagine the avalanche of posts that would be on my ass if I said "I am not in favor of the death penalty unless it is to kill all the mexcians illegally living here." Joke or no joke, I would be strung up my self in posts and probably given a very firm warning.

When you asked me if I was serious about killing people because of their religion, I thought you were kidding. It is truly inconceivable to me that anyone thought I was serious. I did not believe your were asking a serious question. I thought you were joking, and I responded in kind. That's the simple truth, believe what you want.

And as for your other comments, I simply disagree with you that jokes about the death penalty or anything else are "crossing the line." I don't agree with that. So, if you are offended by jokes that "cross the line," I really do think it would be best if you steer clear of reading my posts.

But the truth is, if only you would admit it, is that the most fun you have had on this forum is debating people like me who strongly disagree with you. You can vilify me till the cows come home, I really don't care.

In response, I will tell you that I think your presence on this board is great. I disagree with almost everything you say to the core of my soul, which is exactly why I like to debate with you.

Yeah, FunnyDuddies!!! I truly am so glad you are here.

:rockon: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :peace:

I'm not hostile, nor do I expect everyone to agree with me, even some of the time. And thank you for your sympathy....I'm sure it's heart-felt and sincere.

But please don't try and tell us you cannot believe anyone noticed your post. You obviously made an attempt at oneupmanship with your response to Musical's sarcastic post. Indeed, I think you are very proud of your repertoire of snappy come backs. You even made a point of posting this....

...lest some of us mistake your "wit" for plain old bad manners.

It is, as you pointed out, fine and fun to debate religion, politics, sex, and everything else in R&R. Jokes about killing people are not funny, however. No matter who makes them.....they are not funny. I think that if I had said I am opposed to the death penalty, except for Republicans, I would have received equally outraged responses. It's not about religion....it's about knowing where to draw the line and restraining one's self from crossing it. And yes....there IS a line. There is always a line. If you don't believe me, ask Don Imus.

People have different views of what is and is not in "good taste." You have a right to your opinion about what that is, but that does make it into the "truth." I totally disagree with you that I have done anything on this forum that has crossed any "line." If you think I am out of line and not funny, feel free to not read my posts.

But it is just sad that you are unwilling to admit how much you enjoy debating people who disagree with you. I know you will stick to your view that you welcome debate, but in my case it's different because I am in "bad taste" and I have "crossed the line." But that is just a cop out. The bottom line is, we just disagree on a lot of things.

Anyway, it is because of people like you that this board is fun and interesting for me. So, I say to you, thank you so much for being here.

Yeah, Carlene!!!

:tea::peace::drum::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

The truth is, most conservative Christians do support the death penalty, because in Romans 13:1-5 it demonstrates that the death penalty can still be applied. Since fundamentalists frequently use the old testament to support their opinions

Romans is the New Testament, not Old. And Romans 13:1-5 is about submitting to authority.

So, sorry, I appreciate hearing your opinion, but no, it does not prove me wrong.

In other words, there is no way to prove you wrong. You will always believe that Christians are on the front lines of loving bloodshed and violence, no matter how many tell you they hate it.

When you asked me if I was serious about killing people because of their religion, I thought you were kidding. It is truly inconceivable to me that anyone thought I was serious. I did not believe your were asking a serious question. I thought you were joking, and I responded in kind. That's the simple truth, believe what you want.

And as for your other comments, I simply disagree with you that jokes about the death penalty or anything else are "crossing the line." I don't agree with that. So, if you are offended by jokes that "cross the line," I really do think it would be best if you steer clear of reading my posts.

But the truth is, if only you would admit it, is that the most fun you have had on this forum is debating people like me who strongly disagree with you. You can vilify me till the cows come home, I really don't care.

In response, I will tell you that I think your presence on this board is great. I disagree with almost everything you say to the core of my soul, which is exactly why I like to debate with you.

Yeah, FunnyDuddies!!! I truly am so glad you are here.

:rockon: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :peace:

Actually, the most fun I have had on this board was way back when before the big rift. That was the most fun, and we did not have the rants and raves section, but it was not needed.

I get into debate now because I am a very angry person, and debate is a calm way of getting my anger out. Its actually not something that I truly take joy in. But in my current state, I welcome any debate. Its better than staying angry about other things and having it destroy my days.

this is not about debate, however, and disagreeing views. This is about poor taste and judgement. While you are entitled to have poor taste and judgement, it is still anyone's right to tell you that you have crossed a line. And in this case you crossed the line. Musicalmomma should not have opened the door that she did with her comment either. But you have taken it to an extreme, and when asked to clarify you continued it.

I will not speak for Carlene, because we don't always agree on things ( :tea: ) but if my presence here makes you happier, I guess that is cool. I certaily don't need the cheerleading. Or is that your over abundance of smilies to indicate your jest? :drum:

This is about poor taste and judgement. While you are entitled to have poor taste and judgement, it is still anyone's right to tell you that you have crossed a line. And in this case you crossed the line. Musicalmomma should not have opened the door that she did with her comment either. But you have taken it to an extreme, and when asked to clarify you continued it.

Sorry FunnyDuddies, you don't get to be the one who decides who has "poor taste and judgment." You are entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is. There is nothing I have done on this forum since day one of my participation that was in poor taste, or inappropriate in any way. You have a right to think otherwise, but it's nothing more than your opinion.

You also state that "when asked to clarify" my position I "continued it." So, apparently what you are saying is that I am a lier. That is truly out of line and in bad taste and totally inappropriate. I told you that when you asked me for clarification I thought you were joking. Do you believe I am not telling the truth? Frankly, I still can hardly believe that you actually thought I was advocating the death penalty for Christians. That is what is truly hard to believe. But you insist that your question to me was actually serious, and I take you at your word. But the fact is, when you asked me whether I was truly advocating the death penalty for christians, I thought you were joking, and I responded in kind. I think it is totally inappropriate and in the height of bad taste for you to call me a lier.

Frankly, I think you deserve more that a slap on the wrist for that level of inappropriate behavior. I think there is no room on the board for personal attacks. I think you should be banned from the board. (Sound familiar?)

"Romans 13:1-5 Paul instructs Christians to submit themselves to the authority of the state, because "The authorities that exist have been established by God." Referring to the authorities, Paul writes in Verse 4: "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer." The reference to "sword" might be interpreted literally (to refer to capital punishment) or symbolically (to refer to the power of the state to punish wrongdoers)."

This is what Christians say, not what I'm saying.

I didn't say that Romans was in the Old Testament. I said they often use the old testament to support their opinion.

Sorry FunnyDuddies, you don't get to be the one who decides who has "poor taste and judgment." You are entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is. There is nothing I have done on this forum since day one of my participation that was in poor taste, or inappropriate in any way. You have a right to think otherwise, but it's nothing more than your opinion.

You also state that "when asked to clarify" my position I "continued it." So, apparently what you are saying is that I am a lier. That is truly out of line and in bad taste and totally inappropriate. I told you that when you asked me for clarification I thought you were joking. Do you believe I am not telling the truth? Frankly, I still can hardly believe that you actually thought I was advocating the death penalty for Christians. That is what is truly hard to believe. But you insist that your question to me was actually serious, and I take you at your word. But the fact is, when you asked me whether I was truly advocating the death penalty for christians, I thought you were joking, and I responded in kind. I think it is totally inappropriate and in the height of bad taste for you to call me a lier.

Frankly, I think you deserve more that a slap on the wrist for that level of inappropriate behavior. I think there is no room on the board for personal attacks. I think you should be banned from the board. (Sound familiar?)

No one is calling anyone a liar. I asked you a question, you answered it. That is all I said. There is not lie there, because that is what happened. So why would I call you a liar. Quit trying so hard. Your desperation is showing.

And I never said that anyone should be banned. Where did I ever suggest that you should be banned? I did report your post, twice. I think that you should be talked to by the mods. But I do not think you should be banned.

As for the poor taste and judgment...honey, have you seen that EVERYONE has stated that it was in poor taste and judgement? Their issue lies with how upset I am over it. Not whether you crossed the line or not.

You might find that you get less defense with less venom.

There's alot more venom in the fundamentalist's posts to me than in mine to them. Hence just one of the myriad reasons I think some of them are hypocritical.

I don't think it's venomous to point out that the majority of people supporting the death penalty would be Christians, do you? Is that not, in fact, the case?

Personally I think fundamentalists just can't stand having their own hypocrisy brought to light.

I follow an easy rule: if the subject involves violence, bloodshed, execution, or war, the fundamentalists will be on the front lines shouting "hooray! I support that!"

I've not been proven wrong yet, now have I?

Thats funny we don't shout hooray when the blood of baby's are spilt (unlike you some people)

Thats funny we don't shout hooray when the blood of baby's are spilt (unlike you some people)

What?

This doesn't even make sense.

Because it has no punctuation and incomprehensible grammar, your statement could be interpreted several different ways.

I'll assume you mean the following:

"That's funny, we don't shout 'hooray' when the blood of babies is spilt, unlike you do, as well as some others."

Is that what you meant to say?

If so, let me assure you that I do not, in fact shout "hooray" when anyone's blood is spilt, unlike you do, as well as some other fundamentalist Christians.

For any of you who are interested, there have been a lot of studies over many, many years about the death penalty and whether it is a deterrent to crime. It has always been shown to not be a deterrent.

So if we are in favor of the death penalty, we should not kid ourselves by saying that it is done in order to discourage other potential killers.

Several of you who said they're for the death penalty went on to say something about it being done to, in some way, appease the families of the victim. However, in many cases, intelligent people whose family members have been murdered, are not appeased by the imposition of the death penalty on the killer. The most wholesome and effective help that grieving family members can experience is by forgiving the killer. Yes, you got that right. Forgivness. It is healthy, it is lasting and it is what Christ would want.

Besides, we should, as someone posted earlier, take the higher ground. We should not be in the business of killing. We may not be able to rehabilitate a killer, but we should not reduce ourselves to taking other people's lives for revenge.

Now in the case of Mark. I am completely on his side in the argument that ensued after the exchange between musicalmama and Mark. I'm glad ya'll stopped beating that horse because it was obvious that those of you who persisted in putting him down, were only taking advantage of the situation because you surely couldn't have possibly believed that Mark thinks that killing Christians is acceptable to him. Musicalmama's comment wasn't taken as serious, so Mark's shouldn't have been either.

I agree with Mark often, so I'm not a fun debate partner for him. But he brings a lot of interesting viewpoints to the table and he has a great sense of humor. I would be seriously depressed if he disappeared from the scene.