Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Execution takes 2 hours, 10 tries, condemned man given bathroom break in the middle

Ohio lethal injection takes 2 hours, 10 tries - CNN.com

I am so proud to stand with the few countries left, like China, North Korea, Syria and Saudi Arabia, that still allow the death penalty.

:note2: I'm proud to be an American, :note2:where at least I know we can still execute people :note2: we may be totally incompetent at doing it :note2: but who cares, no one can stop us anyway :note2: because we're American :note2: and our flag has stripes on it :note2: and we let people go to the bathroom if it takes too long :note2: :note2: :note2:

Want to make a bet on something? I'll bet... The majority of people who will come on here and defend the death penalty... will be Fundamentalist Christian. Any takers on my bet?

while this did take longer than normal, it sounds like he got what he wanted. assisted suicide is what it seems to be. he wanted to die, and refused an appeal. he was even joking with the practitioners.

as for lethal injection, it is the most humane way of putting someone to death. it is the same way that assisted suicides are usually done. the patient is put to sleep, and the body is shut down by way of drugs. the prisoner feels no pain. except for the needle sticks. what could be more humane? hangings, gun shots, gas chamber, and electric chair are very painful ways to go, and can take a long time as well.

Sunta, I am not sure in what form you mean "Fundamentalist Christian". There are so many levels of fundamentalism that you will have to be more clear before I take your bet. :D

while this did take longer than normal, it sounds like he got what he wanted. assisted suicide is what it seems to be. he wanted to die, and refused an appeal. he was even joking with the practitioners.

as for lethal injection, it is the most humane way of putting someone to death. it is the same way that assisted suicides are usually done. the patient is put to sleep, and the body is shut down by way of drugs. the prisoner feels no pain. except for the needle sticks. what could be more humane? hangings, gun shots, gas chamber, and electric chair are very painful ways to go, and can take a long time as well.

Sunta, I am not sure in what form you mean "Fundamentalist Christian". There are so many levels of fundamentalism that you will have to be more clear before I take your bet. :D

To me the issue is not about the condemned individual, who probably deserves what he gets most of the time. To me the issue relates to my own human dignity, and what acts I'm willing to commit, or allow others to commit in my name. Capital punishment is simply beneath my dignity, especially when there is no benefit of any kind to the victim or potential future victim. There isn't even a cost savings compared to keeping someone in prison. And if you want to really torture the hell out someone and make them pay, life in prison is far worse than a quick death. So there is simply no reason to justify debasing ourselves to that degree, as the people of most other nations have concluded..

actually, there are a great number of inmates that state their life is better in prison than out on the streets where they once lived. MSNBC runs some shows late at night about the prisons in this country. Each episode is dedicated to one prison. I forget the name of the show, but it is rather interesting to see what some prisons give to their prisoners.

One showed that the majority of the prisoners lived in a dorm like setting. They had a big screen in a few rooms, lots of games and stuff, the prisoners were educated and got full health care, and they were fed 3 square meals a day. they were able to earn money doing work, and got paid vacation time after a certain number of hours. Most workers outside of prison don't even get paid vacation! they also had boxing, football, and baseball teams that would compete against other prisons.

What happened to the times of penitentiaries that actually made a man penitent for the crimes he had committed?

while i am sure that it offends your dignity that he was put to death, I am sure that it was done mostly in the name of the family members of the man he killed. :D

actually, there are a great number of inmates that state their life is better in prison than out on the streets where they once lived. MSNBC runs some shows late at night about the prisons in this country. Each episode is dedicated to one prison. I forget the name of the show, but it is rather interesting to see what some prisons give to their prisoners.

One showed that the majority of the prisoners lived in a dorm like setting. They had a big screen in a few rooms, lots of games and stuff, the prisoners were educated and got full health care, and they were fed 3 square meals a day. they were able to earn money doing work, and got paid vacation time after a certain number of hours. Most workers outside of prison don't even get paid vacation! they also had boxing, football, and baseball teams that would compete against other prisons.

What happened to the times of penitentiaries that actually made a man penitent for the crimes he had committed?

Yeah, that's the problem with America, life in prison is practically a vacation.

Inside Jobs -- Convict Rehab or Corporate Slavery?

Black Voice News, News Report, Chris Levister, Posted: Aug 07, 2006

If you think prison inmates only make license plates, you're behind the times.

As a child Ayana Cole dreamed of becoming a world class fashion designer. Today she is among hundreds of inmates crowded in an Oregon prison factory cranking out designer jeans. For her labor she is paid 45 cents an hour. At a chic Beverly Hills boutique some of the beaded creations carry a $350 price tag. In fact the jeans labeled "Prison Blues" - proved so popular last year that prison factories couldn't keep up with demand.

At a San Diego private-run prison factory Donovan Thomas earns 21 cents an hour manufacturing office equipment used in some of LA's plushest office towers. In Chino Gary's prison sewn T-shirts are a fashion hit.

Hundreds of prison generated products end up attached to trendy and nationally known labels like No Fear, Lee Jeans, Trinidad Tees, and other well known U.S. companies. After deductions, many prisoners like Cole and Thomas earn about $60 for an entire month of nine-hour days. In short, hiring out prisoners has become big business. And it's booming.

At CMT Blues housed at the Maximum Security Richard J. Donovan State Correctional Facility outside San Diego, the highly prized jobs pay minimum wage. Less than half goes into the inmates' pockets. The rest is siphoned off to reimburse the state for the cost of their incarceration and to a victim restitution fund.

The California Department of Corrections and CMT Blues owner Pierre Sleiman say they are providing inmates with job skills, a work ethic and income. In addition, he says prisoners offer the ultimate in a flexible and dependable work force. "If I lay them off for a week," said Sleiman, referring to his workers, "I don't have to worry about someone else coming and saying, ‘Come work for me.' "

For the tycoons who have invested in the prison industry, it has been like finding a pot of gold. They don't have to worry about strikes or paying unemployment, health or worker's comp insurance, vacation or comp time. All of their workers are full time, and never arrive late or are absent because of family problems; moreover, if prisoners refuse to work, they are moved to disciplinary housing and lose canteen privileges. Most importantly, they lose "good time" credit that reduces their sentence.

Today, there are over 2 million people incarcerated in the US, more than any other industrialized country. They are disproportionately African-American and Latino. The nation's prison industry now employees nearly three quarters of a million people, more than any Fortune 500 corporation, other than General Motors. Mushrooming construction has turned the industry into the main employer in scores of depressed cities and towns. A host of firms are profiting from private prisons, prison labor and services like transportation, farming and manufacturing.

Prisoners now manufacture everything from blue jeans, to auto parts, to electronics and furniture. Honda has paid inmates $2 an hour for doing the same work an auto worker would get paid $20 to $30 an hour to do. Konica has used prisoners to repair copiers for less than 50 cents an hour. Toys ‘R' Us once used prisoners to restock shelves, and Microsoft to pack and ship software. Clothing made in California and Oregon prisons competes so successfully with apparel made in Latin America and Asia that it is exported to other countries.

In most states prisoners receive little of the money they earn working either for state-run or private sector corrections firms such as the Corrections Corporations of America (CCA) and Wackenhut. The labor prisoners perform is often considerably cheaper than in the outside world. Case in point, Texas-based Lockhart Technologies closed its Austin plant and fired some 150 workers who constructed circuit boards because it could relocate those jobs to a Wackenhut-run prison where detainees did the work for minimum wage.

Want to make a bet on something? I'll bet... The majority of people who will come on here and defend the death penalty... will be Fundamentalist Christian. Any takers on my bet?

Betcha wouldn't be opposed to the death penalty if all those peske fundamentalist christian's heads were on the choping block...after tall they ARE the scourge of the earth, right?

"Case in point, Texas-based Lockhart Technologies closed its Austin plant and fired some 150 workers who constructed circuit boards because it could relocate those jobs to a Wackenhut-run prison where detainees did the work for minimum wage."

and it takes work away from our home town boys and girls too. who have families to support. I think that prisoner work is good, but I am one of those that does not believe it should be paid work. and it should be serious manual labor. digging ditches, picking fruit and planting trees.

I love these kind of topics! I am a Christian, certainly not a "fundamentalist", but definitely a Christian. When I hear of a murder, I always think about how I would feel if it were my family member that had been murdered. I do agree with the death penalty, and I think if it was enforced a bit more, we would have less murders. (Just my opinion:)) I know two wrongs don't make a right, but I'd like for these creeps out here to die the exact same way that they killed their victims....don't have a heart attack....I know that wouldn't be right, that's just the "angry" side of me speaking. (we all have one, as I'm sure I'll see when I get some replies!)

"Case in point, Texas-based Lockhart Technologies closed its Austin plant and fired some 150 workers who constructed circuit boards because it could relocate those jobs to a Wackenhut-run prison where detainees did the work for minimum wage."

and it takes work away from our home town boys and girls too. who have families to support. I think that prisoner work is good, but I am one of those that does not believe it should be paid work. and it should be serious manual labor. digging ditches, picking fruit and planting trees.

I totally agree!

I love these kind of topics! I am a Christian, certainly not a "fundamentalist", but definitely a Christian. When I hear of a murder, I always think about how I would feel if it were my family member that had been murdered. I do agree with the death penalty, and I think if it was enforced a bit more, we would have less murders. (Just my opinion:)) I know two wrongs don't make a right, but I'd like for these creeps out here to die the exact same way that they killed their victims....don't have a heart attack....I know that wouldn't be right, that's just the "angry" side of me speaking. (we all have one, as I'm sure I'll see when I get some replies!)

my husband feels the same way. that prisoners of heinous crimes should get in return what they did. if they kill someone, they need to die the same way. if they rape someone, they also get the same. eye for an eye.

Betcha wouldn't be opposed to the death penalty if all those peske fundamentalist christian's heads were on the choping block...after tall they ARE the scourge of the earth, right?

Actually, that's a good point. I guess it's probably more accurate for me to say that I'm against the death penalty except in the case of fundamentalist Christians.

while i am sure that it offends your dignity that he was put to death, I am sure that it was done mostly in the name of the family members of the man he killed. :D

It may be done "in the name" of the family members, that does not mean the family members agree with it. Some do, but many "family members" do not agree with capital punishment, and the opinion of the family members means nothing in that situation. The state does what it wants to do in this regard. It's only when the families are in favor of capital punishment that the state acts "in the name of" the family members.