Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow weight loss - feeling very low

I was sleeved Dec 22nd. I have tried my best to remain positive but my weight loss has been very slow :-( i have PCOS, insulin resistance. Not sure if that is a factor.....my HW was 240, day of surgery after just 2 days of Clear Liquids my weight showed 232!! Now almost 3 weeks after surgery i am still at 227 :-( i had gained weight because of fluids after surgery and my weight was 249 the day I came home but compared to my day of surgery weight I have hardly lost any weight...i am feeling very low and sad....am i the only one who will fail at this? My goal weight is 140, but with my progress so far I am becoming less and less confident everyday that I will be able to reach it! I am taking 64 oz fluids, taking around 70 gms Protein and am around 400-500 calories per day......has anyone else encountered such slow loss?

I have pcos and ins. Res. Too. I'm sure it's all gonna work out just fine!

@@downsizingdiva thank u for sharing, was your weight loss slower in the beginning too?

400-500 calories a day is not enough. The body does go into starvation mode. when I slowed, my doctor suggested to eat just small meals of protein-only several times a day rather than 3 meals a day to help keep the body from thinking it's starving. He said you can go for a while on protein-only if necessary. Just remember to take all your supplements. Also, I went back to just Protein shakes for a week (with supplements of course) to kick start my sleeve and get my mind back on track. I really like the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury brand. If you are logging your food so you know for sure that you are only taking 400-500 a day you can try this. However, when my weight slows and I think I'm hardly eating anything, then I honestly log every single bite I take in I am always astonished at how much I am actually eating. It is very easy to fool yourself so first step I'd say is to honestly log your food for a week (as a habit is good too). Just my thoughts.

You need more calories.

I'm 2.5+ years out and insulin resistant, I learned not to take in more than 30 carbs (good carbs) per day, always follow Protein first then veggies. I stay away from the processed things. I do HFLC and I went from taking 60 units of novolin N/R to 8-10 per day. This is how I lost my weight and got my a1c normal.

My weight loss was that slow too. I lost around 14lbs the first week and a half and then didn't lose a pound for 3 weeks. But then I started losing a steady 2-3lbs and week and it does add up. It was really hard for me when people told me to be patient so I won't say that to you. Just try not to be discouraged and stressed.

Slimgal 2015, the amount of insulin that you take will hinder your weight loss. Before my surgery, I was taking over 400 units of insulin per day (R&N combined).......now i take about 120. I have good weeks and bad weeks. In 17 days on the liquid diet, I took NO insulin and lost 30 pounds.....YES 30 lbs!!!! I started soft foods and had to start taking insulin again....not as much tho. I have lost an additional 38 lbs in 9 weeks of being on regular food. Not exactly big numbers.....but hey a loss is a loss, right???? Some tips for you......increase your calorie intake to 800-1000. ALWAYS have a carb with your Protein. Make your carbs match the insulin that you take not visa versa. Try to exercise more....diabetes hates exercise!!!! Good luck to you!!! May GOD give you the strength to lift your head high and complete your journey!!!!

Edited by Packerfan61964

Thank you all for your input and encouraging words......truely helps, you are all so great...

I am only losing approximately 1kg a week which is slower than some however I am ok with that as huge losses can impact on skin and hair more than a slower loss. I also do not have as much to lose as some so perhaps this also impacts. I also think how much and what you were eating prior to surgery can impact.

You need more calories and you need to STAY. OFF. THE. scale. Stress will also slow your weightloss.

Edited by Kindle

I'm hating the scale right now. It's really bringing me down. I was sleeved on Dec. 15th and lost 36 lbs in the first 2 weeks, then nothing. The only thing I can think of is that I went back to work and I'm not getting enough Fluid, calories or exercise. I did starting adding juice to my Protein Water and I think it's too many carbs, but I needed the nutrients because I cannot tolerate solid foods yet and my Protein Shakes are a little heavy to drink 3 times a day. I can only handle about 4 ounces daily. I need to make an appointment with my NUT, and maybe she can get me on the right track. Since it's Sunday, I'm going to try to get a good workout in. I know I'm doing something wrong, but what my sleeve can tolerate is so limited I don't know what to do. I feel your pain!

I'm hating the scale right now. It's really bringing me down. I was sleeved on Dec. 15th and lost 36 lbs in the first 2 weeks, then nothing. The only thing I can think of is that I went back to work and I'm not getting enough Fluid, calories or exercise. I did starting adding juice to my Protein Water and I think it's too many carbs, but I needed the nutrients because I cannot tolerate solid foods yet and my Protein Shakes are a little heavy to drink 3 times a day. I can only handle about 4 ounces daily. I need to make an appointment with my NUT, and maybe she can get me on the right track. Since it's Sunday, I'm going to try to get a good workout in. I know I'm doing something wrong, but what my sleeve can tolerate is so limited I don't know what to do. I feel your pain!

Thin out your shakes with milk or water. Have you tried Isopure or Syntrax Nectar Protein Drinks? They have the consistence of water. Try broth with added unflavored Protein Powder. Warm stuff went down better for me. And for heaven's sake, stay off the scale! Sounds like you have very unrealistic goals. How is 36 pounds in less than a month a "slow" weight loss?!? Took me 3 months to lose 30 pounds and I was thrilled with every single ounce. And I only stepped on the scale about 6 times in those three months. Quit obsessing over the numbers, concentrate on getting in all of your nutrition, relax and enjoy your NSV's.

Many of us have slow spots or stalls. The one at 2-3 weeks has a name! "the three week stall" look it up. You may have slow weeks or weeks where you lose nothing, and are doing everything right. I lost pretty slow... I didnt get to goal for 3 years! But the speed of loss is not the prize, the end results are. Just keep with it and try not to stress. You are only at the very beginning of the journey... it lasts a lifetime!

Girl keep your head up! It will come off. Stay off the scale, the scale can be your worst enemy. My first month and a half I would only weigh myself every other week. The program works if you work it, just keep doing what you're doing!