Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey! I've been on this forum for a while, but this is my first time actually posting anything (I'm not a creep- I promise!). My insurance required 6 months of doctor visits, a sleep study, psych evaluation, and a very large packet completed before it could even be submitted for approval. I started the process in April 2014 and I finally have my surgery date...January 24th :). There was a long stall from October to January that my case just sat at the doctor's office b/c of my sleep study appointment...they didn't have any openings until December so I had to wait on those results, plus the holidays delayed everything.

While going through the process I felt like it was never going to happen, but now that I actually have a date scheduled and it's going to become real for me I am super emotional about my upcoming lap band surgery. I'm excited that it's finally here, scared of the unknown, anxious and ready for my future after being banded, but it's a bit overwhelming lol. I researched all my WLS options for over a year before I even started the lap band insurance process and I feel like I know what to expect, but I guess I'm just an emotional mess right now b/c it's finally here after such a long time. I hope I'm not the only one that's experienced this. I am glad that this forum exists b/c I am going to need support after the surgery- my family and friends support me 100%, but it's better to gain knowledge from someone who is actually experiencing what you are and no one in my family has had WLS before.

I just wanted to introduce myself and look forward to making friends and gaining support. Thanks!

You will do fine. I, too, had a similar situation with State of Texas insurance having us jump through hoops for 12 months and then they weren't paying that much. I started in October 2013 and was 3 days from the procedure when my insurance wouldn't pay since I didn't have a hiatal hernia. I spent the next 11 months figuring a self-pay approach and had the LB procedure on Dec. 23, 2014.

For some, the hardest part is the pre-op diet. I didn't have any problems except for thinking that I had to have my LAST Popeye's chicken or my LAST What-A-Burger or my LAST Breakfast miga's! I did all three but made certain that i got some walking and stuck to the shakes.

Procedure went well and really no post-op pain because of the meds the provide for the procedure. MD prescribed Tylonal with codein for post op and I really didn't take but 1 1/2 days. Since I didn't have the hailtal hernia repair, I didn't have the post-op pain that some people describe. The solution: DON'T lie down, but stay upright, walk as much as you can and stay active. When I went home after surgery, I sat and sipped Water, then did the dishes, and rearranged a shelf on my back porch. I also walked a partial block to visit a neighbor and then home. I really didn't lie down untiil that evening.

Good luck and stay positive.

Thanks! I go for my pre-surgery lab work tmw and I have my pre-surgery seminar that I must attend before surgery tmw as well. I haven't been told that I have to do a pre-surgery diet as of yet, but if so then I guess it will start Saturday. My biggest problem is going to be more mental than physical I believe b/c I'm in that thought process of "well I have eat my last such and such and try this before surgery" and I know I shouldn't think those things. I'm trying to change my thought process, but maybe it will be better after surgery. Thanks for the advice about keeping moving...I started walking a couple months ago- I'm up to 4 miles per day and I have a 16 month old daughter that's crazy active so I do my best to keep up with her.

Hope you're losing lots of weight :)

I still haven't stepped onto scales and I'm two weeks and 1 day post surgery! I know I have lost inches because I am cinching up my pants and my belt is now 1 hole from done before I have to added a new one. Fortunately, I have some dress pants from an earlier weight so I can quietly move to the smaller size for maybe a month or more down the road.

I've had to be very intentional in my thinking and reconfirming that the "lap band is only a tool!" and that I have to make better decisions about food and staying hydrated. Many times what I thought was hunger pangs were only a signal that I was thirsty. The neatest thing now: I have not had an appetite since the operation. The worst thing so far: I have to remember that a full stomach trumps an empty plate. It's tough buying and preparing for one person. It just means now I have to plan better. My brain has to be another tool that I use better and in conjunction with the lap band!

You are doing great to be walking 4 miles a day.

Welcome and good luck. LapBand has saved my life. My advice is pre surgery clean your house and get all caught up on laundry. You won't want to lift baskets or a vacuum cleaner for awhile. Move as much as you can every day. Stay off the scale. Really. Almost all of us have a gain post op and it is not indicative of success or failure. It's your body healing. Also write down all your questions after they discharge you because if the nurse calls to see how you're doing at home, you'll have a handy list to grab. Welcome to the forum !

Hi there @@KYGirlSummer -- so glad you're here on the forum! I think that what you are experiencing is very common. WLS is such a big decision and if you didn't have some nervousness and anxiety then something would be wrong. You have thought out every aspect of this and gone through all the hoops; you are going to do very well. Getting that headset is the thing, and then you are way ahead in terms of having an exercise plan in place already. Plus that incentive of your daughter and being able to keep up with her.

@@Lawrence Baxter congratulations on being two weeks out -- sounds like you're doing really well. Way to go on resisting the scale. It's only a number. I love the test of how the pants are fitting. It amazed me how I dropped a size, another, and another, and another. I still can't believe it.

Both my daughters and I are scheduled to be banded on 2/12/15. Unfortunately I don't have any pre-surgery experience or advice, but if you need companions to travel the road with you, we will be there shortly and happy to provide support along the way!

** I meant POST-surgery- I have a ton of pre-surgery experience LOL! Jitters, emotions and all :-) I totally get where you are coming from (times 3 since I have myself and my two others to worry for, because that's what moms do LOL)!**

KYGirlSummer, your story sounds exactly like mine , I started my weight loss supervised appointments in May and I am going for my therapist visit Wednesday and back to my surgeon also and not sure what to do. I am confused scared and just can't wait for my appointment to see what he has to say.

By the way I wanted the band to start with and was told my surgeon may not would do the band because he was getting away from that because people had learnt to eat around the band and the NP told me the sleeve would be the best but I think if I can get the band I will be okay with the surgery but right now I am scared , so I am thinking about asking Wednesday if they will just do the BAnd.

lawrence-baxter who did your surgery? I have state of Texas insurance too, but I haven't been with the state for five years so I am automatically disqualified. I hope I have a hiatal hernia because I can't afford to self pay for the surgery. I've going through true results in Austin. I have the EGD appointment on 1/19

I was extremely nervous and scared too. I cried all the way to the surgery table. But I'm only 12 days post-op with my lap band, and I can already tell it's been the best thing I could have done for myself. (I also recovered quickly.) I, too, thought I had to "eat my last_______(fill in the blank), but that really hasn't bothered me. I get full on about one cup of food and I haven't even had a fill in my band yet. I used to drink a Diet Coke a day, but I've been cold turkey since the day before my surgery, and it really hasn't been that bad. The biggest hurdle for me right now is head hunger. I start eating something I enjoy, like Soup or cottage cheese, and it tastes so good I want to keep eating, but the band stops me. Yes, it's works great! But my head is like, "Oh, geez, I was enjoying that!" I'll have to get my eyes to catch up to the new size of my stomach. I love this "secret tool" I have now. It helps me stay satisfied on little meals throughout the day. I could never do that on my own before. Have courage. You can do this!

I am very much looking forward to the surgery...my surgeon does not require a pre-op diet so I don't have to deal with that, however I've already cut out sugar for the most part, I'm going to still enjoy my bread until the day before surgery but I've never been a fan of sodas so that's not an issue. I'm just ready for next Saturday to be here so I can get banded, recover and start with my fresh start so to speak. I know what hasn't worked the past 29 years lol so I'm ready. I've already cleaned the kitchen so to speak- I've made my brother/rooommate take all of his junk and keep it in his room just so I don't have to see it. My family is super supportive as well as my two best friends that I work with so I feel like I'm off to a good start...I can't wait to be on the banded side and hopefully to be a success story in a year or so :) I'm so glad that everyone is so supportive and not judging me...we all have issues or we wouldn't be here so thank you!

@@hopeful , your Dr. just doesn't want to do the follow up on lapband. people eat around the sleeve everyday. Even bypass patients are not successful all the time. However I chose the lapband because I did not want 80% of my stomach gone and I didn't do bypass because I didn't want my intestines re-routed. There hasn't been enough long term studies done on the sleeve but there is failure in every WLS. Just be aware that sometimes Doctors have ulterior motives for their so called opinions. I have had no complications with my lapband and am extremely happy with the results. I have no dumping syndrome as most sleeve and bypass patients have and have not had issues . Like anything else peoples opinions are like navels or other things we all have one. I hope you are totally successful.

Hopeful I wasn't trying to dissuade you one way or the other really, just know that there are downsides to all WLS. If you feel you want to switch to the sleeve and have researched your options by all means it's your decision. If you still want to do the lapband, tell your Dr. Being scared is also normal. I almost jumped off the gurney, but after all was said and done I very happy I made the decision to have it done. healthier and happier than I have been in many years. Seriously I wish the best for you in whatever you decide. I will keep you in my prayers.