Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

14 months out and realllly struggling

I'm about 14 months out and 105 pounds down (or at least I was until the holidays). My problem is I am struggling with getting back onto the program after being diverted during the holidays. I start out with good intentions every day and then I'm at work and I have a cookie or 3 and come home and I'm eating more than I should. I'm grazing, I'm making poor choices and I'm depressed. I recognize this, I'm on medication (and have been all of my adult life). I tried therapy for a short period of time but the therapist wasn't a match for me (I'm a therapist by trade so I feel like I know what's going on but can't seem to make my brain to cooperate with me). I have a gym membership but I haven't gone but my gym bag is packed and right by the back door. I seem to be making excuses, rationalizing my behavior and unable to dig out of this rut. Any motivating advice would be most welcome.

AND I gained 6 pounds over the holidays...which I know is a result of my behavior but it also adds to the depression.

• @kyleebean, you have done absolutely awesome! 100 pounds lost is an entire person! Good for you, and Celebrate that victory!

I can't give you advice from the perspective of how to get thru the stall, as I was just sleeved a few days ago. Hopefully someone else will jump in with some tips. What I can recommend though is that you look back to when you were me...three days out of surgery and in pain, barely able to get your Protein powder and liquids down. Think about how you mastered that, and kept moving forward, and showed the strength and willpower to lose and lose and keep losing. Think about the victories, too, the new clothes and stamina and compliments.

You know you have what it takes. You've already proven it. This was a siesta, and not even that big of one. Now it is time to wake up and get moving again. Tackle it with all the strength you did at the beginning and you will be a success.

I've been stuck at my weight for almost 7 months and it has all been because of my bad choices. It has gotten me quite down to see people who have had the surgery after me already past their goal. In late December I decided I want to drop the last 40 lbs before April. I'm going to the gym approx 8 hours a week now and keeping my hands off the bad stuff. As I sit at work and think "you don't have to go the gym today, just go home and sit in front of the TV", I replace that thought with "40 lbs, 40 lbs, 40 lbs" and I go to the gym. I feel better - physically and mentally - after I leave the gym and I am not going on the scale for another week and a half.

Try to re-dedicate yourself to your original idea's and goals. Pull yourself up from your bootstraps and get back on it. Try to remember how good it has felt and how good it will feel again.

I wish you the best of luck! You CAN do it!

I use MyFitnessPal, it has been a key to my progress. Even if I hit a bump in the road I make a note of it. I had stopped writing everything down since Christmas Day and I was not losing much so I got back on MyFitnessPal this past weekend. I feel the positive difference already. It is so doable. Also, walk or march around your house every chance you get, even if its only during commercials. Wishing you the best. You can do it!

@@kyleebean

This is a reality for all of us. Weight gain can happen. Bad habits can come right back into our lives. When you see yourself slipping (holiday's are the worst) It's time to get back on the horse. You have been successful.... 105 pounds down freaking fantastic. Do what has worked for you. Beating yourself up is not doing you any good. Be gentle with yourself. Try some positive self talk. You are stronger than you are giving yourself credit for.

MAYBE it's time for a treat! Sounds like it to me! No, I don't mean an "eat treat". I mean go get yourself a new workout outfit, or a special journal for your journey. You need a treat to remind you how special you are, cuz I'm figuring you haven't heard (or said) that for awhile, huh? Sometimes we just need a little jab in just the right place to get us back on track. Consider yourself "jabbed"!!!!

@kyleebean What is NOT working in your life?

I'm pretty close to your stats... 12 1/2 months out and 102 pounds down. I went home for the holidays and ate like crap...sweets, bread, potatoes, rice, more sweets, fried food, alcohol and more sweets. I made a lame ass attempt to get in all my Protein by drinking a Protein smoothie everyday, but seriously, it was a bad week. The thing is I totally planned for it. I knew I couldn't resist my mom's yummy cooking so I didn't even try. I ate guilt free, knowing it would only last a week. When I got back I stepped on the scale and had gained 4 pounds. Since I was still jonesin for sweets I immediately detoxed the sugar out of my system by doing protein and veggies ONLY for a week. Then went back to "normal" eating, which was easier since that first week flushed out my sugar cravings. I lost the 4 pounds by the end of the second week.

I think this is what you may have to do. Draw on whatever mental strength that got you through the preop and postop diets. Get rid of the Cookies and anything else you shouldn't be eating. If it's not in the house you can't graze on it. Stick STRICKLY to protein, healthy fat and veggies. Keep a Water bottle with you at all times. Drink everytime you want to eat. Drown yourself in fluids. Do you have any "before" pictures? Hang them on the fridge. Put your gym bag in your car. Go straight there either before or after work. Look for different protein options at the grocery store or deli. Explore new recipes. Transfer your desire to graze to preparing and tasting new high protein healthy foods.

You can do this!

Edited by Kindle

Hi! Congratulations on the success you've had - it looks like you've done a great job!

So I'm a natural born slob. Easily distracted, hate to clean, tend to let things pile up if I'm not diligent about it. I'm on an online motivation forum for THAT too, and one of their favorite sayings is, "motivation follows action". Maybe if you sign up for one or two sessions with a trainer where you've paid for it and committed to being there, you'll go...then feel more motivated to go again on your own once you get over the hump and get moving again. You can do it!

Purge your cabinets and fridge of all the stuff you lose all control over.

Protein - go back to focusing on Protein and plenty of it.

Plan for the next day. You will be less likely to goof up if what you need is on hand and ready to grab.

Play. Develop your exercise around activities that you enjoy.

I kind of took a break over the holidays, but to my suprise I still dropped 7.5 lbs. Before I discovering I was off track I made the decision to do the pre-op semi liquid diet for a week starting this last monday. I am currently on day three. Suprisingly, it has got me back on track. I am drinkin 3 protien shakes a day and eating a modest dinner. 4 oz of the Protein of my choice with all the salad I want with a little dressing. About 900 cals aday. Weighing in this morning I have already dropped 3 lbs and dont feel hungry:). The other thing I recommend is tracking your food. If you dont do this honestly your only lieing to yourself.