Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sadness & the sleeve

I have suffered from depression & serious anxiety since I was a small child. I was painfully shy and suffered from serious mood swings. It wasn't until I reached my 30s before I got help. One therapist even said I might have Aspergers, which runs in family.

I have always been heavy although at one point in during my teens I got within 15lbs of my "ideal" weight when I practiced martial arts.

Anyway, the point of this post has to do with ongoing depression and anxiety, post-sleeve. I was hoping that the weight loss coupled with CBT, exercise and healthier eating would bring me some relief from feeling the anxiety and depression. I take medication which has stabilized my mood but I cannot shake these demons of depression and anxiety. We've (me and the Dr) tried different meds and only two has had the best results but after a while lose their effects.

So, unfortunately, I still struggle. Somedays are good, somedays are so bad even my meds don't help and I am worn out from the years of battling in this war.

In reading through the posts I see many who have struggle like mine too. So this is just a general question, if you struggle too, what techniques do you use that help? I am going to take a psych course about depression and anxiety because the way my mind works, the more I understand something, the better I can deal. My Doc does a good job with counseling me but I need the technical, science info.

I am curious also as to how depression and anxiety can affect my sleeve. I worry about ulcers mostly.

Any input is appreciated, just please be kind.

Thank you.

Can I just send hugs and pats on the back, that I hope things get better soon. Congratulations for having the courage to take steps to try and alleviate the problem. :)

Thanks everyone! Sending those hugs right back to you! I feel better already.

Depression is such a powerful monster.

I am also a life long sufferer of anxiety and depression. Sometimes it's hard for me to separate and recognize which one is effecting me most. I have visited a few psychotherapists over the years. But have such a fear of medication I have avoided that. I do lean more words anxiety. An expensive fish oil has been my main tool. A few years ago I added high dose Vitamin D and was surprised how much that helped me. I know everyone suffering from this is so different. I don't mean to imply what I'm doing may help. Just sharing.

I can say I was unprepared for the post op anxiety and depression I felt. It was crippling for over a month. Thankfully I work at home and my husband was available to help me. But I do still find myself at times worrying about the future, and my sleeve. As far as worries about ulcers, I think they are more related to bacteria or a drugs, not so much stress or worrying. I will occasionally take aspirin and stress about it every time. My doctor says don't worry, and take enteric coated aspirin. I avoid Advil as much as possible.

Losing weight has helped tremendously with the depression. But that seems to have made the anxiety more noticeable.

I had PTSD with a ton of depression and anxiety. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend a book called The Mood Cure by Julia Ross. Through years of therapy I was able to function in the world. It wasn't until I started the therapy in the book that I became a happy person. Three months later I was a totally different person. The amino acid therapy actually changes your brain's ability to experience positive emotions. I wish I had the book 30 years ago and saved myself a lot of pain. I was very skeptical at first so I got the book at the library and bought the smallest bottles of aminos I could find. It took about 3 days and I was sold on it...things changed THAT fast!

OMG everyone! Thank you so much for the input. I will definitely look into the suggestions. I am glad to know I am not alone in this. Not that I am glad that other people suffer from this but it helps to know that people can understand how it feels.

I have PTSD also so its like the trifecta, lol and I never learned to give myself a break. I am learning now, thanks to the sleeve. Health, both mentally and physically is my number 1 goal.

What scares me the most is that people who know me would never guess I suffer with these issues. Then we see folks like Robin Williams...who'd have guessed he would go out like that? An acquaintance of mine also recently committed suicide as did one of my students a few years back. Its absolutely horrible.

I know suicide is definitely NOT on my list of things to do.....mostly because I don't want to do that to my kids, spouse, family, etc. I just get tired of feeling this way. BUT I will keep my chin up, Celebrate my achievements, do my best to be altruistic, and take each lost pound one day at a time.

Thank you everyone! You guys don't know how appreciated you are! :)

I'm glad that it isn't on your. However ... I hope also that you do it for you. {{apologies to any one - religion comment}} I believe each person is made in the image of God, that He died for each person whether or not they accept that or not, and the fact He thought they were worth it, means their worth it to others.

Although I have to admit, some days people like Charlie Manson give me pause for thought. ;) hee hee

I'm glad that it isn't on your. However ... I hope also that you do it for you. {{apologies to any one - religion comment}} I believe each person is made in the image of God, that He died for each person whether or not they accept that or not, and the fact He thought they were worth it, means their worth it to others.

Although I have to admit, some days people like Charlie Manson give me pause for thought. ;) hee hee

LMBO! Add Hitler, Kim II-sung, Kim Jong-il, Kim Jong-un, Idi Amin, and a few others to that list!

No need to apologize for your faith. I am an agnostic but I truly appreciate points of view because I know it comes from the heart and at the end if the day that is what matters the most. Thank you everyone. If I can ever return the favor just look for me on the boards. ????

Edited by tomi71

You can return the favor by getting as healthy as possible, whether that is physical or mental matters not to me!! :)

LMBO! Add Hitler, Kim II-sung, Kim Jong-il, Kim Jong-un, Idi Amin, and a few others to that list!

No need to apologize for your faith. I am an agnostic but I truly appreciate points of view because I know it comes from the heart and at the end if the day that is what matters the most. Thank you everyone. If I can ever return the favor just look for me on the boards.

@@tomi71, hi there... My name is Stacey and I also suffer from depression.. I think it might be natral for the most of us.. My surgery is not until January 17 I have been a liquid diet for 10 days and with that I've found I'm also a food addict, many emotions have flooded my mind and heart... Just as soon as I think it's to much for me to handle, it's a success! I've overcome another hurdle. I thank HeavenlyFather's grace ❤️

I've been on 40 mg of Celexa for the last six years and the last couple of months I've 1/2'd my dosage in hopes A month or so after surgery I won't need them anymore.. They say to physical exercise is the best anti-depressant ever, I'm going to walk my butt off..!

My nephew also has Asperger's and I think that makes u even more special???? I'm here for u!

-Stacey

Hi! I'm Kristen. I've struggled with depression since I was a young girl. Depression runs in my family and my mother noticed the symptoms. I've had suicidal thoughts on a number of occasions but always acknowledged that "this too shall pass" my mantra was "it always gets better". I was taken to psychologists and psychiatrists, tried on many different medications, but ended up gaining a lot of weight and having really scary side effects from the medications.

When I turned 20, I spoke to a doctor who told me depression medication makes losing weight very difficult so I told him I was ready to deal with it on my own. I do not advise anyone to do this unless consulting with your own doctor, obviously. I learned writing, talking or praying about what I'm feeling has been helpful. Also, I'm naturally a negative thinker so I practice focusing on good things, especially the blessings in my life. When I visited Guatemala last year I realized how fortunate I am in my life.

BUT, I was not prepared for the depression after surgery. My surgery was Nov 3 and combined with my usual seasonal depression it made my normal way of dealing with it difficult. I would randomly cry over the smallest stressor. I'm still struggling a bit with it but it's getting better. It always gets better!

I thought I was the only one! I have bipolar type 2, anxiety and depression. I've been on Zoloft for 8+ years. It has made me lethargic and a zombie. I hate it.

When I had my surgery I didn't take my meds for 3 days, then I went from 150 to 100 mg. I was feeling more involved in my life. Actually wanting to talk to my family. Wanting to be with my kids, etc. and then bam! The anxiety and insomnia started. I was crying all the time.

I went back up to 150 mg and took a Xanax for two days. I'm now anxiety free today. But it's been a rough week.

I'm so scared in going to go back to being lethargic and uninvolved in my life.

I'm going to try that book you suggested though.

I thought I was the only one! I have bipolar type 2, anxiety and depression. I've been on Zoloft for 8+ years. It has made me lethargic and a zombie. I hate it.

When I had my surgery I didn't take my meds for 3 days, then I went from 150 to 100 mg. I was feeling more involved in my life. Actually wanting to talk to my family. Wanting to be with my kids, etc. and then bam! The anxiety and insomnia started. I was crying all the time.

I went back up to 150 mg and took a Xanax for two days. I'm now anxiety free today. But it's been a rough week.

I'm so scared in going to go back to being lethargic and uninvolved in my life.

I'm going to try that book you suggested though.

You are definitely not alone! But it sure can feel that way sometimes, right? UGH

I have to take a Xanax every morning because my anxiety is at its worse. Even on Christmas morning. It makes no sense. It is getting better the more I go to counseling and I am also growing very, very, very tired of feeling this way. I also think my antidepressant has been a huge help.

Hang in there. We all know it can go up and down. Like, right now, as I type this, I feel pretty even keeled. This morning when I got up, not so much. A few nights ago, I felt like a complete lunatic. LOL

I was hoping that exercising at eating right would obliterate these struggles but no such luck. I just have to accept that this is part of my make up and that I will probably need to take meds to keep the anxiety and depression demon at bay. That's okay with me.

How are you doing? Hoping your are feeling better.

Hi! I'm Kristen. I've struggled with depression since I was a young girl. Depression runs in my family and my mother noticed the symptoms. I've had suicidal thoughts on a number of occasions but always acknowledged that "this too shall pass" my mantra was "it always gets better". I was taken to psychologists and psychiatrists, tried on many different medications, but ended up gaining a lot of weight and having really scary side effects from the medications.

When I turned 20, I spoke to a doctor who told me depression medication makes losing weight very difficult so I told him I was ready to deal with it on my own. I do not advise anyone to do this unless consulting with your own doctor, obviously. I learned writing, talking or praying about what I'm feeling has been helpful. Also, I'm naturally a negative thinker so I practice focusing on good things, especially the blessings in my life. When I visited Guatemala last year I realized how fortunate I am in my life.

BUT, I was not prepared for the depression after surgery. My surgery was Nov 3 and combined with my usual seasonal depression it made my normal way of dealing with it difficult. I would randomly cry over the smallest stressor. I'm still struggling a bit with it but it's getting better. It always gets better!

I fit that same description...negative thinker. I know that contributes to my anxiety also. I, too, have been to several countries that have profound poverty and it definitely makes you much more appreciative of the life you have but then I get depressed because those poor folks are suffering..especially the little kids. I HATE seeing that mess. Vicious cycle, that depression is.

I didn't get professional help for my depression until I was in my early 30s and I wish I hadn't waited so long. But I also didn't know I was dealing with depression and severe anxiety and PTSD and other stuff. I just thought I was nuts and so did everyone else.

THere's a podcast I listened to religiously called The Anxiety Guru. The host, Paul Dooley, is a licensed counselor in San Diego, CA. He's really good and the best part is that he knows first hand what this all feels like as he suffered from sever anxiety and depression. Check him out. He makes sense of things and helps me deal between doctor appointments.