Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting very scared

Ok. So I am 34, single, no kids. I am 5'9" and weight 262 pounds. I just barely qualify for surgery and am starting to wonder if the risk is too high for someone in my position. I also would like to have a baby at some point, am I making a mistake by doing this now?

I'll start by saying that only you can decide if weight loss surgery is right for you and if now is the right time. However, In my own experience, and from reading what people on here have to say, the biggest regret is not doing it sooner. Here are some things to think about. Do you think that making a healthy lifestyle change will do you more good in the future than it will right now? Do you think that going through this process while caring for a child will be easier? You barely qualify for surgery now, would you rather wait until you easily qualify? Why put yourself through that?

I understand the fear that comes with this whole thing. I have been there. I talked myself into and out of going through with it several times. I am almost 2 months post-op at this point. Nothing has drastically changed in my life except for how I look at food. It no longer controls me. None of my fears have happened. I am better off now than I have been for most of my life. I wish I had made these changes years ago!

Ok. So I am 34, single, no kids. I am 5'9" and weight 262 pounds. I just barely qualify for surgery and am starting to wonder if the risk is too high for someone in my position. I also would like to have a baby at some point, am I making a mistake by doing this now?

I'm 5'8" and weighed 255 when I started the process in July. I had surgery in October and am down 50 lbs overall. My only regret is not doing it sooner!

I am also 34, I have 2 Childen and from that standpoint I am glad I waited until after having kids to have the surgery. I can't imagine getting in all the right nutrients for myself and a baby after this surgery although, there are many on this site who have, you might want to ask in that forum what challenges they faced being pregnant after having the sleeve surgery.

In my opinion, this was the best decision I have ever made for myself. I was 5'9 and 320 lbs. If you think you can do it via working out and eating better, go that route but if you are hungry all the time as I was, no amount of working out would help. This surgery has been amazing and it will be for you as well. I appreciated how quickly my skin is going back into being tight again which is a benefit of having the surgery at a younger age.

Whatever you decide, it will be the right decision. You know what is best for you. I wish you the best of luck!

jenjen262, I think many of us questioned whether this surgery was worth the risks and we each made the decision on what we believed was best for us, which means some determined surgery was best for them and and some did not. It took me years and countless more diets and exercise plans, that I ultimately failed, but brought me to the realization that dieting doesn't work for me and eating healthy and exercise did not lower my weight significantly (I'm 56) and I needed a tool that would give me a break from diet induced hunger and limits my food intake capacity so I could practice healthy eating and still lose weight.

If you think you are having normal cold feet, know that it's likely that most of us felt hat way before surgery, I know I did, but we wanted to take the risk anyway and are happier for it. But if in your heart of hearts, you are not ready for this surgery and it's risks, do not do it.

Best of luck to you on whatever you decide.

I think this is good discussion to have with your primary and/or bariatric surgeon. It depends on your relationship with food and your previous attempts at losing weight. I was told that is is recommended that you not try to get pregnant until a year post op. At 3½ months out I am only now returning to a regular diet and still eating under 1,000 calories a day. I expect that by a year out I'll be back to 1,200 but I'm sure that plays a part in that recommendation.

I had an eye-opening moment when it was pointed out to me that the risk of dying or complications was under one percent. However, the risk of dying from a diverticular perforation - if it occurs high in the colon is 6 percent and if it occurs low (where my infections always are) is a whopping THIRTY percent.

That made my mind up for me.

Your mileage may vary. I only wish that I had done the VSG before I got so sick.

Jana

PS, I am attaching a photo of diverticular disease for reference.princ_rm_photo_of_close_up_of_colon.jpg