Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Lifting/ weight loss

The fact is cardio is amazing for fitness, but to build healthy amounts of muscle, which you need to boost your metabolism, you need some kind of resistance training. It is good for your bones also. I plan on using weights as soon as I am cleared, not to bulk up, but to get, and remain healthy. Also, without any resitance/weight training, you are likely to look like a deflated balloon at goal.

without any resitance/weight training, you are likely to look like a deflated balloon at goal.

EXACTLY!!!

Thanks to all for your posts. I think I will continue doing a combination of weight training and cardio. I don't have muscle that I'd like to have for my frame. I want the moobs gone and to tone up the arms and get the hookup on some abs. I enjoy the weight training a lot. I'm not focused on being Arnold Swartzeneger, but wouldn't mind a little bulk. I don't wanna be the guy who people look at and say, "I bet he used to be fat" because I am not toned properly. I want to see the weight come down on the scale also, but am learning that slow isn't bad. I like the idea of eventually being 220 lbs with a good muscle tone...ripping my shirt off at the pool and thinking...VSG BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all for your posts. I think I will continue doing a combination of weight training and cardio. I don't have muscle that I'd like to have for my frame. I want the moobs gone and to tone up the arms and get the hookup on some abs. I enjoy the weight training a lot. I'm not focused on being Arnold Swartzeneger, but wouldn't mind a little bulk. I don't wanna be the guy who people look at and say, "I bet he used to be fat" because I am not toned properly. I want to see the weight come down on the scale also, but am learning that slow isn't bad. I like the idea of eventually being 220 lbs with a good muscle tone...ripping my shirt off at the pool and thinking...VSG BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good for you Bigboy76. Stay focused and I'm 100% positive you will see your goal of no shirt hot guy at the pool come to fruition! GO GO GO!

SuperKen

I have to do this again, but as I said MY DOC SAID ITS NOT FOR ME FOR 6 TO 8 MONTHS, I have a problem when you tell someone to ignore their doctors and nutritionist and just start eating oats and carbs , I mean seriously how dare you!

I asked an honest question in why do you want to be bulky, and you freaked out. see you want to look like bruce smith, fine, I want to look like bruce lee, so cardio to lose the fat then ill do high rep low weight training, and circuit training to define my body . What I refuse to do is put muscle behind the fat increasing my weight . Why couldn't you leave that be? you swear than weight lifting is beter than cardio for burning calories. which is not true for a bariatric patient. why wont you understand the guy who asked the question wants to lose weight not gain it and he is only 6 weeks post op. damn have a heart. If im les of a man because I don't lift tons of weight well fine. whatever.

@@Stevehud

If your doc advises against it for 6 to 8 months, you should certainly follow those orders. I do not think anyone is advocating that you should go against doctor's orders and if they are, they have no business to do so.

I think the reason people freaked out was in the "tone" of your initial response. I respect your desire to have a more "Bruce Lee" type of body. Nothing wrong with that. I would take that over my current body shape!

My professional opinion though, for what it is worth, is that for anyone looking to get lean, resistance training (when medically cleared) is a fantastic and highly recommended addition to your fitness routine. It will help to build lean muscle mass, reduce fat mass, and help to increase your resting metabolism.

I said the same thing in every post I made, that high rep low weight and circuit training is great when your aloowed. yet I was told here that my doc wont lt me weight lift because im not athletic and was picked on by jocks in high school...huh? but was called not a man and the one guy who tols the poster to eat raw ats and lots of carbs... is going against his doctors orders that upsets me, but dont worry about it. im not a bad person unlike some think but this site is not for me, too much drama, too much bull in other places so im having my account deleted, ill go it alone or join another site, this site, just isn't for me. good luck in your weight loss.

For anyone interested in calorie expenditure, here is basic site that helps a little. I did some quick numbers:

30 minutes walking on a Treadmill at 3mph = 275 calories (at my body weight)

30 minutes of Normal Weight Training = 323 calories (at my body weight)

Sitting, doing office work = 100 calories

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/Calories.html

The basic idea is how much muscle are you moving when exercising. Dynamic exercise that engages more muscle is going to require more oxygen and burn more calories.

The main thing for any of us is to MOVE. Get those muscles moving.

I started at week 6 with my Doc's OK. I was STRUGGLING when I started. I don't know if I atrophied from not lifting or it was from not eating for so long or what--but I could barely throw any weight around. I'm pretty much back to "normal" now...and I have put back on a noticeable amount of bulk in under 2 months that I haven't seen in a few years. The numbers on the scale kept going down except for the expected stalls during all of this. I can't tell if it will have any impact on loose skin or not yet, but I am reminded that each pound of muscle on your frame adds 10 calories burned per day at rest...and that benefit is amplified exponentially with the addition of exercise. A word of caution though: working out made me pretty hungry. If I don't get a fair amount of Protein in then I feel like a grizzly bear in late November. So I need to watch it. I do 3 days of heavy lifting a week and about 4 hours of martial arts training over 2 separate non-lifting days. I don't count calories but I'd put my daily intake at around 1500, depending on the day. I'm 90 days out from surgery and down 100 pounds (70 post surgery date). Seems to be working fine.

Steve, you need to educate yourself better before you make stupid a$$ comments. It is a shame you erased your comments because you could have gone back and looked at how dumb they were. Or maybe you just erased them because you knew you sounded like a jerk because you have no idea of what your attempting to speak of. You come back in here, after I am sure with little research and drop the whole more reps, less weight crap on us, please.(erase the last one you put up too because that is even more bs)

Your doctor is not the doctor to every single person who has had wls. STOP trying to tell them to do what YOUR doctor is recommending for YOU. Nobody here is IGNORING their doctor and nobody ever suggested to IGNORE their doctor. Do not put words into peoples mouths. Good luck, Bruce Lee

I said the same thing in every post I made, that high rep low weight and circuit training is great when your aloowed. yet I was told here that my doc wont lt me weight lift because im not athletic and was picked on by jocks in high school...huh? but was called not a man and the one guy who tols the poster to eat raw ats and lots of carbs... is going against his doctors orders that upsets me, but dont worry about it. im not a bad person unlike some think but this site is not for me, too much drama, too much bull in other places so im having my account deleted, ill go it alone or join another site, this site, just isn't for me. good luck in your weight loss.

You attacked the op because YOUR doctor told YOU not to lift weights. You came in here with comments, suggesting everyone do what YOUR doctor wants for YOU.

I never said add "lots" of carbs. There is nothing wrong with having carbs pre-workout(if tollerable as I did mention). Nobody is going against their doctors orders, Your bent out of shape because they are not following YOUR doctors orders for YOU. Good luck

For anyone interested in calorie expenditure, here is basic site that helps a little. I did some quick numbers:

30 minutes walking on a Treadmill at 3mph = 275 calories (at my body weight)

30 minutes of Normal Weight Training = 323 calories (at my body weight)

Sitting, doing office work = 100 calories

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/Calories.html

The basic idea is how much muscle are you moving when exercising. Dynamic exercise that engages more muscle is going to require more oxygen and burn more calories.

The main thing for any of us is to MOVE. Get those muscles moving.

Great post. Hopefully Steve will use it

I have to do this again, but as I said MY DOC SAID ITS NOT FOR ME FOR 6 TO 8 MONTHS, I have a problem when you tell someone to ignore their doctors and nutritionist and just start eating oats and carbs , I mean seriously how dare you!

I asked an honest question in why do you want to be bulky, and you freaked out. see you want to look like bruce smith, fine, I want to look like bruce lee, so cardio to lose the fat then ill do high rep low weight training, and circuit training to define my body . What I refuse to do is put muscle behind the fat increasing my weight . Why couldn't you leave that be? you swear than weight lifting is beter than cardio for burning calories. which is not true for a bariatric patient. why wont you understand the guy who asked the question wants to lose weight not gain it and he is only 6 weeks post op. damn have a heart. If im les of a man because I don't lift tons of weight well fine. whatever.

Quoting before it's deleted.

Edited by LipstickLady

Steve, perhaps your doctor doesnt want you lifting cause you do not have a good athletic foundation and is afraid you will hurt yourself. Or perhaps you fall into the super obese category where he is more concerned first with shedding the excess fat than doing any resistance training. I have done resistance training all my life and plan on being a solid and firm 210-215 lbs once I shed all my excess weight. Just for reference, this is a picture of me from 5 years ago where I was 270lbs. down from 320 doing high Protein and no carbs, I was about 31% body fat, but I was stronger than I have ever been and was losing 2-4 lbs a week of all fat. I am still obese in the picture but you can see I have a solid muscular foundation underneath...That is a completly different 270lbs than someone who would not lift at all and be in the range of 40% body fat... The weight training makes a big difference and is good for some, and bad for others you need to do what is good for your body and type. I personally never could have a runners body, Im just not built for it..

Right now Im 305 and probably 35 % body fat and look like shit..

post-241637-0-93278200-1420849257_thumb.jpg

post-241637-0-65478200-1420849275_thumb.jpg

Quoting before it's deleted.

hahaha...I am sure he has deleted his account

Edited by randoval