Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Lifting/ weight loss

Wow, and all I want to do is enjoy my later years. You know, sit on the front porch and talk about the people going by.

Yeah but you could do that and be totally jacked dude!!!

Yeah but you could do that and be totally jacked dude!!!

No thanks, that's just not me.

im curious why would you want to keep bulk? now I know its a very personal thing. One thing I will say is to say weight lifting is the best exercise over cardio is a bunch of bull, and the only people who would ever say that are lost in weight lifter land. Weight lifting doesn't have to burn any calories. high reps low weight done fast like circuit training is a great cardio exercise but straight up lifting is not anywhere near the calorie burn that cardio is. I guess if you want to stay bulky , then hey go for it. Here's the big rub, you get more bulky with muscle, then slack off just a bit, the calories get a little higher you get into a few old habits here and there and what happens...yep muscle turns to fat much faster than gaining fat on its own. That's why people, like football players, who don't lose their playing weight immediately after retirement become fat. So I know im not wiling to take the chance of becoming fat again, after doing all the work to not be. If I wanted to be a musclehead I wouldn't have had weight loss surgery. Comorbidities like vein issues in my legs, joint pain, back pain etc , pre diabetic etc. will NOT be relieved by changing fat to muscle. You lose the advantages of weight loss . I used to be heavily into lifting when I was younger and I know when I stopped It certainly contributed to my weight gain. I know I want to fit into a medium or large shirt someday, I wont shop in the big and tall just because of weight lifting. Besides I cant stand the tools staring in the mirrors as they do curls while in the free weight areas of any gym. The last thing I want is to increase caloric intake while trying to lose weight. sorry to all who feel differently but that makes zero sense to me. But I know that weight lifting is like a cult, you throw into it and believe the hype very easily. Its a macho cult ideal that fits right in to people. once they use the word guns to describe their arms...they're lost.

Sounds like you got it all worked out man. Good luck with everything.

Edited by Stevehud

I am sorry for coming off so negative.

But certain things so sort of tick me off. like the words " like a man is supposed to". seriously pigeon holing people getting healthy? That's why I have a problem with weight lifting, the attitude. As to the muscle vs fat weight issue. obviously a pound is a pound, when people say muscle weighs more than fat it is simply common sense that what is meant is the same physical amount, in mass of muscle weighs more than the equivalent in fat. volume vs weight, its not hard to understand. Also to say there are fat skinny people is a silly statement, its like saying there is an empty full glass.Now there can be an unhealthy skinny person and there are many many of those. So thats what i think is meant by that. I won't get into an argument about cardio vs weight lifting except to say that you shouldn't post things that aren't true and recommend them to others . I go by what the doctors and nutritionists say and no weight lifting for at least 6 months after surgery. In MY OPINION, that makes sense and to ignore the doctors and nutritionists plans is ignorant and wrong. But you must do what you wish, it is your body. My own personal experience colors my responses. In my experience big muscle guys turn into big fat guys a lot more easily than lean muscle types do. Bulk is what i thought we were all fighting against, but i realise my fight is my own, so ill shut up about it.

Any you are pigeon holing yourself with your ignorance in thinking lifting weights automatically means looking like Arnold or one of these roid heads. Its not what it means at all, it just means adding some muscle to your frame to support healthy living. And there ARE certainly skinny FAT people..You in fact can be 150lbs and look thin and be mostly body fat and skin. A glass can be half full but full of crap..You dont like to lift weights, fine we get it...But your comments are ignorant and make anyone who was thinking of doing resistance training automatically assume that they will get bulky or fat when the exact opposite is true.. In fact your lack of education on the topic and you commenting is actually reckless IMHO but thats just my opinion...

Edited by JerseyJules

I was cleared to work out and have told my personal trainer about my surgery. I am currently doing circuit training at the machines for strength training. My baseline weights for legs is 60lbs arms and back 50 lbs and chest at 60lbs. I'm starting from scratch I've lost 54 lbs and some muscle so my gym days have been kicking my butt. I've upped my Protein though and I do 30 mons of cardio...I look to up the weights as I become more acclimated. I'm hoping this will help me find my balance as I try to keep losing weight while just being stronger.

@@Stevehud, you need to educate yourself before you speak so negeative. You sound so rediculous and ignorant. You come across like the guy who not has one athletic bone in his body or who was teased by the jocks in high school and cannot let it go. Educate yourself by asking your own doctor what the benefits of resistance training. I bet you will not do it because you will be scared that his answer will prove you wrong and you will feel just as stupid as your comments.

Your "team" is not the gold standard in WLS. All doctors are different and all people react to WLS different. Your doctor might tell you to wait 8-12 months before weight lifting can be added to your routine, but my doctor might say its okay after 4 months. Then again maybe your doctor sees that your physical ability is not the best and why he has asked you to wait 8-12 months. Being picked last in gym class doesnt feel good does it?

Muscle does not turn into fat. A football player(mostly linemen) might get fat after football because their caloric expenditure has decreased dramatically and their calorie intake has remained high. Infact the human body will use muscle as a source of energy once glucose(carbs) as a source of energy had been depleted if cardio is intense. This is the reason WLS patients have to keep their Protein intake up. If you did not keep your Protein intake up, you will be come that very unhealthy SKINNY FAT person. In fact I would reccommend(ask your doctor if okay) 1g protein per pound of lean body mass. I would find a place with a body pod and find out what your lean body mass is. Get a source of carbs(if tollerable) in pre and post workout(blend some raw oats with protein powder) to avoid your body from using muscle as an energy source.

Yes, this is my first post and I registered just to reply to your rediculous comments @@Stevehud

Edited by randoval

Hey Doctor Randoval. two words, rhymes with duck cough.

Jerseyjules- please explain how thousands of people on here are told by their doctors and nutritionists to do cardio cardio cardio, yet you say thats wrong, you say weight lifting is better than cardio. But I am supposed to believe you? when did you get your Medical license? But then again, if i want to be a real man like you I have to lift weights. i forgot.

Edited by Stevehud

Since you all would rather attack than read. ill say good luck to you, do whatever you want i hope you dont screw up someone else. and ill erase all my posts. I never assumed there were so many people who would rather make personal attacks than accept an opinion for what it is.

Edited by Stevehud

Yeah but you could do that and be totally jacked dude

nuff said.

Steve, I've been with you the whole time.

Big words, Ron Jeremy

We simply responded to your lame comments with the same Sh**ty attitude you had towards the og poster about wanting to incorporate weight lifting into his routine. Dont dish it out if you cannot take it.

Cardio is used for burning calories and improving and keeping your cardio vascular system running top notch. It does nothing else for you. Too intense of cardio and your body will start to use muscle as energy. Do you want that? That is why runners and athletes consume VERY high amounts of calories to prevent that.

It is fact and ANY doctor will tell you that weight lifting is beneficail in keeping or adding lean body mass which in return will allow your body to burn more calories throughout the day and even at rest, making more benefical than cardio alone.

If you do not want to lift weight so be it, but do not come attack the people who do want to incorporate weight training along with cardio into their routine. They will be more healthier all around for it. Also, do not say that weight training is bad advice and going against doctors orders. I bet 90% of men who have had weight loss surgery do some type of weight training and probably 100% of the doctors recommend some type of resistance training once they feel the patient is healed enough to do so and physically able to do so. Lifting weight does not mean you have to be HUGE. We simply want a higher percent of muscle to fat. Id rather be 225 and 10% body fat than 225 and 20% body fat. Same weight, but the lower body fat % is going to look much better and be even healthier. There is nothing at all wrong with adding weight training along with cardio to your routine. You will still lose fat and gain lean mass

Big words, Ron Jeremy

We simply responded to your lame comments with the same Sh**ty attitude you had towards the og poster about wanting to incorporate weight lifting into his routine. Dont dish it out if you cannot take it.

Cardio is used for burning calories and improving and keeping your cardio vascular system running top notch. It does nothing else for you. Too intense of cardio and your body will start to use muscle as energy. Do you want that? That is why runners and athletes consume VERY high amounts of calories to prevent that.

It is fact and ANY doctor will tell you that weight lifting is beneficail in keeping or adding lean body mass which in return will allow your body to burn more calories throughout the day and even at rest, making more benefical than cardio alone.

If you do not want to lift weight so be it, but do not come attack the people who do want to incorporate weight training along with cardio into their routine. They will be more healthier all around for it. Also, do not say that weight training is bad advice and going against doctors orders. I bet 90% of men who have had weight loss surgery do some type of weight training and probably 100% of the doctors recommend some type of resistance training once they feel the patient is healed enough to do so and physically able to do so. Lifting weight does not mean you have to be HUGE. We simply want a higher percent of muscle to fat. Id rather be 225 and 10% body fat than 225 and 20% body fat. Same weight, but the lower body fat % is going to look much better and be even healthier. There is nothing at all wrong with adding weight training along with cardio to your routine. You will still lose fat and gain lean mass

Why are you even wasting your time offering explanations to this guy, he obviously knows more than everyone and has his mind made up in regards to weight training, let him figure it out on his own.

Why are you even wasting your time offering explanations to this guy, he obviously knows more than everyone and has his mind made up in regards to weight training, let him figure it out on his own.

Asked myself that after I wrote it...oh well