Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need help - very slow loss - what to eat? Thyroid?

Hi all!

I need some help! I have been struggling since I've had surgery on November 4th. I have "only" lost about 30lbs since surgery but 50 overall (2 week liquid diet before surgery). As you can see I lost more on the liquid than I did after surgery.

I have hypo thyroid as well. But listen - I weigh over 300lbs at 5'7". I should be dropping fast...I should be down at least 60 or so pounds...or more. Some of you, I look at your stats and go...OMG how come I'm not like that. I know I've lost inches.. I know I have... I'm looking better every day....clothing fits differently nearly every day. BUT it isn't the same. I want the pounds gone.

I want to be under 300 by January 1 (my birthday) and that isn't going to happen in two days. I've never had a big dramatic loss, simply just pounds...then I hold for days.

I wasn't eating enough calories for a long time - so between me and the NUT we increased... and it is still not working. I'm getting in my Protein and Water... those are my goals for every day...protein and Water. BUT I'm not losing.

I'm so frustrated...sad and pissed off.

What am I doing wrong?????

What is a good menu to stick to ???? I know I eat too fast... and probably don't chew my food small enough. I'm seriously thinking I broke my RNY.

Can anyone give me some constructive ideas? I don't eat junk (ok, I did once but I won't do that again). I eat healthy meat, yogurt. I rarely have veggies...just eat Protein.

I'm so sad.... does anyone have any good thoughts for me?

Christina

I am only 7 weeks post op so I only know me up to that timeline. But I have noticed that when I get about 45 grams of Protein and at least 60oz of Water I loose nearly a pound everyday. On my days when I lack my water the scale does not move. I only drink water and fresh lemon sometimes. I do not drink real sugar or pretend sugars at all. At the grocery they have protein pack style lunchables, I just buy applegate brand deli meat and recreate my own. 1oz each lunch meat, cheese, and almonds. I have 2 of these a day and deviled egg for Breakfast, and mainly veggies with a little flavorless protein for dinner. Change things up and see what happens. Remember every body is different so you can not compare yourself to others.

Thanks for writing!

I get an average of 70g's of Protein in a day. Some days are less, most days are more. I also went from 64 oz to 80oz. I will admit....I do my darndest to get the 64 in...and bonus is 80!!!

I eat low calorie, low carb, high Protein about 5 times a day....ok...let's be real....I don't eat 5 times a day...I'm lucky if I eat three!

Just bummed... and complaining...and I know I shouldn't! It didn't take 8 weeks to put it on, why should I think it'll take 8 weeks to take it off!

Happy New Year!

I take the Bariatric Advantage Vitamins, Calcium and Iron. I have had a second shot of B12....so I'm good I think!

:-)

The whole Vitamin thing scares me a bit....I know for now I'm taking the right stuff...but if I switch to "over the counter" I need to know I'm taking the "right stuff".

:-)

Hi - I am in the same boat! I had my surgery on Nov 10th and have only lost 26 lbs since surgery (21 in the few months before). So, yes, it is frustrating, especially when we see others dropping weight much faster. But, everyone is different and we are still losing even though it is slowly. In a year or two, it won't make any difference how fast we lost the weight, just that we DID!

I get in my 60 gms of Protein a day and my liquids, but I am concerned that maybe I am getting more calories than I should. Someone asked recently on the support board for my particular clinic how many calories we should be getting (because they tell us not to worry about that - just focus on Proteins & liquids) - and the answers varied considerably from 600/day to 1400/day! I've been getting around 1000/day lately and I think maybe it is too much. I eat my three meals a day plus a couple of snack. The Snacks might be what is slowing down my weight loss. Or if I eat something for each meal that might only be 10 gms of Protein rather than 20 - then that means I might eat twice as many calories over the course of the day than if I had something higher in protein at meals. So - I do think the overall calories play a part too - whether it is too much or too little.

Do you use anything like MyFitnessPal to track what you eat? Do you measure your portions? Maybe doing that for a week or two might give you some insights as to what might be the issue. You can also show it to your nutritionist for her feedback.

You are less than 2 months out, give yourself a break. It took me 6-7 months to reach goal weight. After that I lost more, by 1 year at 117 lbs. This WILL happen for you. You sound like your'e right on track to me. You don't want to make yourself sick. Just do what they told you to do and it will get moving. Relax and have a happy new year! Your'e doing great.

Personally I believe "not eating enough to lose weight" is a load of bull. The less you eat the more you will lose, it's proven fact. And if you work out you'll lose even more.

So maybe your NUT disagrees but your not losing fast are you? Long term slow loss is probably better for you but I too understand how hard it is to have gone through this surgery and still be waiting for change.

Get your Vitamins and Water and some Protein. Work out and eat low carb, low calories. And your weight loss will pick up. You may hit a stall now and then but your going to see big losses.

Eating more to lose weight is a line the diet industry came up with to justify getting people into snacking which ultimately causes weight gain as it increases calories and habitats towards eating.

Edited by bellabloom

I agree with Bellabloom. I hit a stall three weeks ago and was told to eat more, I didn't. I knew my body was doing its on thing and would start loosing again and it did.

I have felt exactly how you are feeling. But here's the thing. I hit the six month mark and I have lost about half of what I expect to lose. What's wrong with that? I'm not one of those people who dropped 50 in a couple of months, but it's slowly happening. And yes, my synthroid had to be increased, and it did help.

Good luck. Don't stress.

Sorry about the ignorance but what is synthroid?

I am so relating to this post! I was sleeved on dec 8th and lost 23 pounds quickly. I now haven't lost anything in 2 weeks. I have been taking thyroid mess for 5 years. I easily get my Water and Protein in.i walk between 2 and 5 miles a day. Frustrated!!!!!

I am two years out and have been my comfortable goal weight for over a year. I'm also hypothyroid and on synthroid for 35 years. Here's what I recommend:

STOP setting a weight loss goal by a certain date! You can NOT control how fast your body loses weight.

Your goals should be measurable and you should be capable of attaining them. The only goals I had for the entire weight loss period were:

Min 60 ounces of Water

Min 60 ounces of Protein

Min 60 minutes of exercise

I lost slow, but steady. I never stressed myself out that "I didn't lose 5 pounds this week" because that was never my goal. I celebrated every single day that I met my goals. I never was down or depressed that I wasn't losing faster because I didn't have control of that!! Change your mindset and change your life!

Hi - I am in the same boat! I had my surgery on Nov 10th and have only lost 26 lbs since surgery (21 in the few months before). So, yes, it is frustrating, especially when we see others dropping weight much faster. But, everyone is different and we are still losing even though it is slowly. In a year or two, it won't make any difference how fast we lost the weight, just that we DID!

Do you use anything like MyFitnessPal to track what you eat? Do you measure your portions? Maybe doing that for a week or two might give you some insights as to what might be the issue. You can also show it to your nutritionist for her feedback.

I do use MyFitnessPal! Religiously ... every day. I may not record everything - because - for example - last night I made a Pasta sauce with ground turkey. I threw in some matchstick carrots and some tri colored peppers. I didn't measure those...

I just need to know that I'm losing!!!!!!! And stop concentrating on the fact that it is slooooowwwwww :-)