Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everything I eat seems to give me gas

Ok so I am on stage two and had a few bites of butternut squash Soup (which used to be my fav until today) is giving me bad gas and cramping ... Yesterday I experienced that with milk and was in my knees praying to Jesus to just take me because I couldn't bare the pain... And now the butternut squash first off it didn't taste so great anymore! Second I am now slowly having tummy aches again like yesterday , granted it's not as bad as yesterday's but C'mon should i just stop eating period?? I'm confused

The first question I would ask is did you have milk on all of those days or was their dairy in the butternut squash Soup? I had a problem starting a few weeks post-op and I found I had become slightly lactose intolerant. It went away after about the 6 month mark, but during that time I switched to almond milk for my Protein shakes and other dairy needs and it seemed to stop the cramping right away. I highly recommend giving it a try as a first thought. If this does not help let me know and I will do what I can to come up with some other possibilities. In the meantime, try the over the counter medication simethicone. It is the generic of GasX. It should help with the cramping and gas a little until you are able to get things under control.

Best of luck and if there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know!

I would say that the gas is normal after surgery, just from what i have read here on BP, and personal experience. (LOL,it's bad enough to clear the room sometimes). However, the pain sounds more like lactose intolerance. Try a non dairy product like soy milk, or almond milk.

@@Jonathan Blue I checked the Soup and no dairy product was listed in the ingredients so I'm not sure if it's even the dairy anymore I'm just very confused at this point. I called my cousin who had the surgery done about 10 years ago and what he told me is that since I'm only six days postop and even though my doctor said it's okay for me to be on full thicker liquids, maybe my body is still just not healed yet from the inside. He suggested that I go back on just Clear Liquids for now and give some time for my inside to heal. I'm having such a hard time taking in two Protein Shakes a day for now I'm only able to take just one... This is much harder than I was anticipating ????

Many of us are lactose intolerant after WLS. Also, the right enzymes are not present in your stomach for a few weeks even months after surgery. This is why in the early stages you have to eat like a baby, trying each food to see what agrees with you. However, you can give it a try later on and you may be fine then. I am 8 weeks past RNY and I can have a little milk again. Not a full glass (tried, no good) but a splash on herbal tea or if included in a recipe.

Don't hesitate to take a little u-turn in regards to food if something doesn't work. You and your tummy are getting acquainted. But I will tell you, some of your favorite foods may no longer be. I was a big fan of bananas, now I can't even smell them. But potato chips all of a sudden are the cat's meow. I steal a little one here and there and my tummy likes them.

Now gas, me too. I burp and pass gas a lot. I hope this resolves because it's ridiculous at this point. Oh well!

It definitely sounds like a lactose that is causing the cramping. There are a lot of options to help with that. Lactaid works great and I think tastes better to me than regular milk. Almond milk is another.

You will find your taste has actually changed and you will have to try different things. You will probably also find there are some things you used to hate that you now love.

For me, I hate anything that is sweet (thank goodness), I don't get sick from it but it tastes so bad that I have to spit it out. Also unfortunately I cannot eat eggs, and I loved them previously. If I even smell them my tummy starts to spasm.

Dont get discouraged, just keep trying new things one at a time.

Good luck and hope you have a great holiday!

I take a chewable Lactaid tablet before I have anything with dairy. It has helped me tremendously. Luckily, for me, a Texas based grocery store chain (HEB) has two different store brand lactose free milks to choose from. The one that my surgeon's office recommend is called MooTopia. It only has 6 grams of carbs per cup and 12 grams of protein! So, I get no symptoms of lactose intolerance and it makes getting my Protein in much easier!

I don't know where the sunglasses happy face came from, but for those in Texas, the store I was speaking of is HEB.