Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lying about what type of surgery..

if you want a believable lie just tell them you have a hiatal hernia. it's the same incisions for the laparoscopy and the same postop diet (from what i understand). I have some family members who are like a news channel and sometimes it's better for people not to know the whole truth. that's what I told everyone (: good luck

All they need to know is the you are having abdominal surgery, and whatever restrictions you might have when you come back - like I wasn't allowed to lift over 25 lbs for the first month.

Darn! I can't do it from the mobile app. The video is on YouTube and is called "VSG-Ten reasons not to have VSG Surgery". Put that in the YouTube search bar and it should pop right up. There's a guy in headphones talking.

Darn! I can't do it from the mobile app. The video is on YouTube and is called "VSG-Ten reasons not to have VSG Surgery". Put that in the YouTube search bar and it should pop right up. There's a guy in headphones talking.

Thank you, I'm going to try that!

Hey, found the "VSG-Ten reasons not to have VSG Surgery" video on YouTube - this should be required watching for everyone considering surgery!! Thanks for recommending. Definitely can relate to all of these. My son just turned 18 years old and I weigh more now then I did when I was 9 months pregnant, walking into the hospital to deliver him. I've had periods of time where I've done really well and lost weight but then when I've stopped making weight loss my 110% top priority I gain it all back and the "bonus" 10 pounds each time it seems like . . . the vicious cycle!

I'm still torn about what to tell my work - so far I've just said "I'm having surgery" and will be out 2 to 4 weeks. I'm tempted to stay gall bladder which could explain the change in diet but I'm also tempted to just say nothing. I have told my family and my small inner circle of friends but not shared it with 90% of my world. Don't know that I will but plan to take it as it comes.

No matter my size, I am the same person inside - take me or leave me!

My advice keep it to yourself. The only people you need to tell at your work place is HR and your boss. simple I'm having surgery. There are rules employers has to abide by and the shouldn't ask what kind of surgery.

Yeah, no one's business. It's actually illegal for an employer to ask. It's a surgery. Period.

You are 100% correct. Falls under HIPPA rights. All you have to say is surgery.

I had lap-ban on 11/19. Don't start your journey with a lie. I started the pre-op diet before and told people I was on a high Protein no carb diet, which was true. Started walking during lunch. Was off for 10 days after my surgery, was told I would only need 5, but I needed more. I thought I had planned it just right. Surgery on Thursday, thought I would be back to work by Monday maybe Tuesday. But no I needed more. I was a mess after. My energy level was low. I needed more recovery time. Each person is different. I have a great relationship with my boss so when I needed more time she was fine with it.

When I returned no one notice right away because I had already started this life change before I had the surgery. It took about another 2 weeks before people started to say you look good. Did not have to explain a lot because I had already set the stage weeks before. I would just continue to say high Protein no carbs. A few people said that is great, think I might try that.

I have lost a total of 26lbs pre-op and post-op, no fill yet. The challenge for me is keeping the 26 pounds off and continue to lose more weight until I get my fill. I started working out which is very helpful, not a hard worked out but walking and riding my stationary bike while I look at the biggest loser. I feel good about my progress up to this point. It is a process and a journey. Start it off positive not with a lie. Be true to yourself. People will ask and some people do not know how to filter on mind their own business, however how you respond will put them in their place. You say things like why do I look good, because I feel great. High protein no carbs. Think of your responses before they ask. Only share if you want to, with who you want to share. Don't feel guilty about starting to look good and healthy and how you accomplish it. This is still hard work. We all understand.

Do what you feel is best. I am a private person, and was raised not to tell everyone my business. I wouldn't even consider telling my co-workers. All they knew was that I was having a procedure...and the only reason they knew that was because I was taking 4 days off of work before the two week Xmas break. Only my best friend, husband and children know and I am happy with that.

I lost 50+ pounds prior to the surgery and received tons of questions about how I was losing weight. The answer was very honest and simple, "I ate less than 1200 calories per day and exercised on a regular basis." Can you believe people were actually disappointed with my answer? They are looking for magic...when there is none, even with WLS.

"Therefore, I want to lie about what surgery I'm having. That's where I need your help. What surgery could "look" a lot like the gastric sleeve? And what are the symptoms of that surgery?"

Gall bladder, hysterectomy, or hernia. I had all 3 and they do feel and look similar to gastric sleeve....except the post-op diet restrictions.

BUT-----

A: You don't have to lie about a thing because 1) you don't owe your co-workers any explanations & 2) your medical situation is private.

People who ask........ just tell them you had a medical issue, got it under control, and to keep it that way you've made life style changes. This explanation isn't a lie.

Never apologize for doing whats best for you.

Congrats! I am happy for you! Best wishes and here's to a healthier life!

Edited by tomi71

When asked about your weight loss, just say "I'm on a medically supervised low carb, high Protein diet." It's the TRUTH and anything more is no one's business.

@@Bubsen Try gall bladder surgery. It's close.

You may want to check your employers requirements. You may have to tell them when you are out for surgery and may need a doctors excuse to come back to work. I just told my employer that I'm having issues and need to have surgery. It's none of their business what is wrong with me. My surgery is 1/7/15. Good Luck to you!