Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 weeks out and everything I eat gives me ouchie pouch

I am now on pureed food. I can have some meats if they are moist and some veggies.

My problem is everything that is not pureed hurts going in. tuna moisten, boneless fish, chicken meat balls in a sauce, chopped spinach steamed etc. Is it because I stopped talking the omeprazole ( Prilosec) ? Eating too fast? The above foods are on my plan but no one had told my pouch that yet.

Edited by Homecie

I am three weeks post op and I am having this issue as well, it is very frustrating. I haven't been extremely adventurous because nothing sits really well and it seems that if I try to eat puréed foods I get so full that I can't get in my Proteins. My stomach likes Mrs. Grass broth, creamsicles, and small amounts of cottage cheese. I have managed two eggs on separate occasions, scrambled and then mashed, but it takes me so long to eat one that it gets cold before I am done! This has been the most difficult part of my journey thus far.

Not everyone progresses at the same rate. If you attempt eating something that disagrees with you, back off and try again in a few days or so. Things will get better and you will be able to tolerate foods better as you heal. Remember you are on a journey. It does get better.

I am 5 weeks out now and there are times things hurt my pouch too. I am on a regular diet now, but I can't seem to tolerate meat of any kind right now, even though I could 3 weeks ago. My NUT explained that some of us don't have the stomach enzymes that we need to break certain foods down like meats at first, and it takes some people longer than others to be able to eat them again. Be patient. In the meantime, I can eat cheese, yogurt, edamame, and a bunch of other things just fine and can get in my Protein with non-meat things.

I do find if I eat or ever drink a sip of Water too fast, my ouch will cramp up and it HURTS!! It will take up to a couple of hours sometimes to quit cramping. I just wait it out, maybe sip some warm camomile tea, and then it all seems okay again.

to ready2B.:

You know exactly how I feel; including the Water. Thanks for the encouraging words and explanations. It is mostly meats and sometimes heavy veggies like spinach. I had my first restaurant outing tonight. chicken Soup . It was nice to order something on the menu that I can have. Towards the end though things got a little ouchie. Don't mind too much, it was worth it to go out.

My low point was around 4 - 5 weeks I had the same problem. I actually decided I was going to make a U-turn and I placed what I was going to eat in a food processor. I did that for 1 week and all was well. After the week, I resumed normal food but I make sure everything is moist and chewed to death. I also have to be very careful I don't overfill, even by a single bite or I'll throw up. Yes, the food gets cold before you are finished. I sometimes will zap it in the microwave halfway because it's stone cold. I no longer can eat egg by itself. I had one per day for like 2 weeks. Now, it makes me nauseous. I can mix a bit with something else but not egg alone. Not sure why.

At 7 weeks, life is good. Hang in there

Beni, I have that same experience with egg and I am 12 weeks out. For some reason I eat egg and I just get instantly sick to my stomach. Occasionally I try to sneak it in with other stuff in small amounts but I think it is just too heavy. The weird thing is my pouch loves chicken and fish. Sometimes ground beef but sometimes I have trouble with it and it can ruin my day. food can be frustrating. I also get board eating the same things. Lately I eat a lot of cheese, fish, chicken, yogurt, oatmeal and Protein Shakes. And I can eat almost all vegies.

It has gotten a lot better as the weeks have gone by, you just have to take your time and if a food doesn't work try again a week or two later.

How does it feel when things make you sick? Does it set in right away or does it take awhile?

Does it make you nauseated or is it painful? I'm nervous about eating and not sure what to expect. I'm hoping you ladies could help me figure out what's happening.

I ate some purée food for the first time today and think I might have over done it but I couldn't tell while eating it!!

How does it feel when things make you sick? Does it set in right away or does it take awhile?

Does it make you nauseated or is it painful? I'm nervous about eating and not sure what to expect. I'm hoping you ladies could help me figure out what's happening.

I ate some purée food for the first time today and think I might have over done it but I couldn't tell while eating it!!

For me, it usually started to hurt right away if my pouch wasn't ready for something. It felt like I'd swallowed a rock! It usually wouldn't just go away, I'd start getting nauseous and finally end up throwing up, but it wasn't food that came up - more like foamy mucus. I learned since that is what people refer to as "sliming" or "the foamies". I'd feel better after that, but would still wait at least a couple of hours before eating anything else.

After 4 days in a row of doing that (my second week of soft foods), I became afraid to eat anything! Not good, because the really low calories I was getting in made me stall really bad. So, in hindsight, I should have gone back to pureed for a couple of days to let things calm down a bit. I don't know if it would have helped or not, or if everyone just ends up going through some times like that. But, the good news is at 5 weeks, I am now able to eat a lot more different things without the discomfort! I can even eat really spicy things. So - hang in there and don't be afraid. If something bothers you, just take a break from it and don't feel like it means you won't ever be able to eat that again.

I feel that things are going down okay. Today I ate a deviled egg (fat free mayo) and I was able to eat a few bites of lentil Soup. What's weird is that I do feel hungry. Not in my stomach, kind of more in my body. And Water seams to work as well as food to quell it.

I get a sharp kind of cramp when I swallow things and the feeling of a need to belch. I don't seem to feel full but the food starts to taste bad.

It's soooooo weird.

I'm afraid that soon I will be able to eat anything and I won't feel full at all! I so scared this won't work for me, it isn't what I expected. I don't know what I thought it would feel like but I am not getting the throwing up or real pain and I guess that has me a little worried. :)