Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is on Monday, December 15 and I have tickets to a hockey game on December 18. Is it feasible that if I don't have any complications, get out in time, and get lots of rest, I'll still be able to go to the game?

I know everyone is different, but I'd like somewhat of an idea of what I can expect.

Thanks!

I will be honest with you. My surgery and post op recovery went perfectly. There was no way that I would have been able to go to a Hockey game 3 days after surgery. 3 days post op, it is very likely that you will still have a lot of gas in your belly which is very uncomfortable. Also you do not get much rest the first couple of nights. I have a very high pain tolerance, I have had 2 spinal fusions. Although the worst pain is all the gas in your belly, it is very uncomfortable and does not allow you to sit in one spot for very long at all.

I was on a total clear liquid diet for the first week which leaves you feeling very weak until you can start on some Protein. Not sure what your protocols will be.

You should ask your doctor.

You asked, so I am being honest......

This is one of those moments when you won't know until you know. But I think it would be very optimistic to be going to a hockey game 3 days out. Even if you do very well (I did) taking it slow will be the key to a good and productive recovery. I would plan to be home and taking it easy. You will make the best choice I am sure!

I had surgery 11/20 which was a Thursday. My surgeon gave me the okay to return to school that Monday after surgery. I didn't make it though. I had a complication/infection from the Foley catheter and I didn't get out of the hospital until Sunday. Going back the next day would have been impossible and I ended up taking the whole week off. I would say see how you feel and just remember to have someone drive you. Good luck to you!

No way. Be kind to yourself and watch the game on TV

Thanks so much, guys! I have season tickets for the Pittsburgh Penguins, so missing one game wouldn't be the end of world, but I was hoping to get to this one.

I'm already planning to take it slow and not push to go. If I feel up to it, my mom will be driving and I may ask for a wheelchair to get to my seats. I can get up and move around or stand during the game if I get uncomfortable, too, so I'm taking that into consideration as well.

I had emergency back surgery in April and was in the hospital for 38 days, so my pain tolerance is already high, lol.

I appreciate all of the responses! <3

When I was on my pre-surgery liquid diet, I went to two Post Season San Francisco Giants games. I love baseball. The hardest part was being around the food. I took Premier Protein drinks and a bottle of Water. I was in the hospital for game six and seven of the world series. Surgery day was game six, which we lost, I was basically too out of it to watch. Good thing, actually. Game seven, I was still in the hospital. I was able to watch every single moment, but I was in bed. I never could have made it to an actual game of any kind.

Since you have many games left this season, I hope you decide to stay home.

Not going to happen. This is major surgery. A lot of people on hear don't go into detail enough about their experiences for you to understand. At worst you will still be in the hospital. At best you will be home and tired as heck.

Just plan on taking the week off and know this- you are making a major change to your body. It's not going to the dentist.

I am 3 days post opt. And I went to Walmart and walked around today. Idk if I could have gone to a game because as soon as I got in the car I was ready for a nap. But everyone is different so do what you feel is best

Bella said it best. I want you to just remember "just cause you can, doesn't mean you should"

No way I could have. I was 10 days post op before I made it to my "hockey son's" game. He isn't my son biologically, but has been folded in as one of my kids and we go see him play as much as physically possible. Even at 10 & 11 days post op I was beyond exhausted after the travel and watching 2 games. Give yourself time to heal and you can try to catch the next game if you feel up to it.

I didn't even put pants on for about a week. Seriously. Everyone is different, though. My best friend drove home from the hospital and went to see her son's play that night, 2 days post-op. But from games I've been to, there is a lot of walking involved in getting inside and getting to your seat. And jostling around with crowds. Focus on taking care of yourself and catching the games another time.

I didn't even put pants on for about a week. Seriously. Everyone is different, though. My best friend drove home from the hospital and went to see her son's play that night, 2 days post-op. But from games I've been to, there is a lot of walking involved in getting inside and getting to your seat. And jostling around with crowds. Focus on taking care of yourself and catching the games another time.

Thanks, Amy.

I'm definitely just being optimistic and won't push to go. My mom has bad knees, so our seats are on the ADA platform and we take an elevator almost right to them, so it's much more of a relaxing experience than most other seats. We have comfy, padded seats and no one climbs over us. Even better, it's the cheapest seat in the place! ????

All that being said, I'm not naïve enough to think this isn't a major deal and know I mostly likely won't feel like going. Just wanted to get as much info as possible so I have an idea of what to expect. I appreciate all of the feedback from you vets!

I agree with the others. At 20 days post op, sitting is difficult for me still, even though I feel great.

I still feel so tired, it stinks. I want my energy!! I feel like my body weighs so much and I'm winded after a short walk. I do hope the fatigue goes away soon! But I'm only about 10 days post op.