Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Immunity Changes?

Tomorrow will mark my one year surgiversary (:D!!!!). I'm doing a lot of reflecting during this time, and a pattern became apparent. I came down with a cold two weeks after surgery, but other than that one occasion, I have not been sick since. If you exclude that cold, because it was so close out, I haven't gotten sick since having surgery. No bug of any kind, cold or stomach related.

Has anyone else noticed a positive change in immunity?

Surgery has led to a complete lifestyle change for me, and I can't point to one thing that changed my immune system. I think various things are helping:

• Shrunken fat cells which can't hold or produce as much inflammatory hormones.
  • Religiously taking my Vitamins.< /li>
  • a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar a day.
  • Increased Prebiotic and probiotic foods and supplements
  • Exercise, exercise, exercise! 45+ minutes 5 days a week. HIIT, strength training with a PT, and jogging.
  • "Bouncing" exercises in particular that pump lymphatic system. I don't do it the rebounding way with a little trampoline, but I'm doing various types of jumping jacks, jump roping, burpies, etc. Here's a random source about the benefits: http://www.chrisbeatcancer.com/rebounding/
  • Regular dry brushing, which helps move lymphatic Fluid too: http://naturalhealthtechniques.com/healingtechniquesdry_brushing_technique.htm

I'm curious. If you're dramatically sick less often, what do you think is contributing for you? Or are you doing new healthy things, but there's no difference?

I don't know if this counts, but I have severe food allergies and chronic urticaria. I was having pretty severe full body breakouts at least once a week that were really itchy and painful. I don't know if it's a changed immunity or a result of such a limited diet, but I've had one very mild outbreak since surgery and that was just my lips being swollen for a few hours.

For the most part, I've been healthier since surgery. Haven't had to use asthma meds. Or allergy meds,nearly as much. Now that we're in winter I just started allergy meds. And have come down with a chest thing. In general though feel so much healthier.

I can say for sure that yes, weight loss has increased my immunity. I have an immune deficiency and one of the reasons I got the surgery was because obesity impedes the immune system and my numbers weren't coming up. My immunoglobulin g (the part of your immune system responsible for protection against bacterial infections and the memory cells) wouldn't go above 300. My immunologist wanted me in the 900 range. 3 weeks after surgery and about 20 lbs down my level went up to 600!!! So YES, weight loss absolutly helps your immunity :D

What does the vinegar do?

Two weeks after surgery, I ended up sick with a horrible cold. That was after overdoing it big time, when all 3 of my girls acquired head lice. Not fun. Now the flu is going through the elementary school that my kids attend. One child down from Thanksgiving until this last Friday. It was awful. I ended up catching it from her and was down for the count for about 11 days. Now my other 2 kids are sick with it, as of today. The 1st child that brought home the cooties, has now been home since Monday with a stomach virus, throwing up. I hope to God that I don't get the stomach virus now. Honestly, I think it all depends on what you are exposed to or not. Small children + elementary schools = a petri dish/cesspool cootie infestation. Before my kids entered elementary school, I never got sick. Your immune system has to build some how, either by being exposed and your body building the immunities via contracting the illness or by vaccine. Gotta love it! Not.

I can say for sure that yes, weight loss has increased my immunity. I have an immune deficiency and one of the reasons I got the surgery was because obesity impedes the immune system and my numbers weren't coming up. My immunoglobulin g (the part of your immune system responsible for protection against bacterial infections and the memory cells) wouldn't go above 300. My immunologist wanted me in the 900 range. 3 weeks after surgery and about 20 lbs down my level went up to 600!!! So YES, weight loss absolutly helps your immunity :D

So awesome to hear about your improvements!! And super freaking cool that you have the empirical measure!

The act of losing weight (mobilizing and shrinking fat cells) is amazingly powerful. I was diagnosed with polycistic ovarian syndrome back in 2005 (but I'd say symptomatic since 2001). The condition was in full swing while my weight steadily increased. I had it even when I weighed well under 200. By my 3-month follow-up appointment after surgery, my numbers were completely normal. Even though I weighed 207, it was the losing 47 that made the difference.

@@Robert Christopherson - Here's a piece about the benefits: http://www.collective-evolution.com/2014/06/02/12-reasons-why-apple-cider-vinegar-will-revolutionize-your-health/, and the excerpt re. immunity:

3. Prevent Candida and Normalize Intestinal Bacteria

ACV is full of beneficial acids which are believed to help improve the make up of your intestinal flora. These include acetic acid and malic acid, which have antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties and can help control the spread of the candida fungus in your intestines, a common debhilitating problem with many people’s high sugar diets.

4. Strengthen Your Immune System

Your intestinal flora are a big part of your body’s immune system. It makes sense then that improving the conditions for the growth of friendly bacteria with apple cider vinegar can help improve your overall immunity.

The malic acid in ACV is also a strong antiviral, perhaps one of the reasons people often say they experience fewer colds when they take apple cider vinegar in Water daily.

Additionally, raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar is said to benefit your lymphatic system by helping to cleanse lymph nodes and break up mucus in the body. Over time this can relieve sinus congestion, reduce colds and alleviate allergies.

Edited by Ava324

Honestly, I think it all depends on what you are exposed to or not. Small children + elementary schools = a petri dish/cesspool cootie infestation.

Pahaha! :lol: I love your description! I'd probably be singing a different tune too if I was inundated in kid cooties..

Thanks I had no idea. I'm getting some apple cyder vinegar. Thanks so much.

I've had abnormal PAP smears for at least 7 years. Everything from atypical to high grade dysplasia. I also tested positive for HPV which is the virus that causes cervical cancer. Despite all the standard treatments (multiple LEEPS, biopsies, conization, folate and immuno-stimulating supplements), the HPV and abnormal cervical cells have persisted. I had a PAP about a month postop and it was, of course abnormal. Had a repeat PAP at 9 months postop and it was normal! And my HPV test was negative. My healthy postop diet and reduced stress from no longer being obese has no doubt strengthened my immune system so it could finally clear the damn virus.