Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

OMG, she's a beauty!!!!

I have a matching orange jersey, but I don't know that it would work for you and I'm guessing your bike would be too big for me.

But wow, it's great you move out the old not gonna use stuff for the new gonna get you fit bike.

Rock on.

MANATEE...lovE THE NEW BIKE!!!!!!! I cant get over how we get all crazy about our rides, but I know I sure do Love mine....That is how I got my bike....It is a 2007 end of the year bargain (thats what they said...I still think it was pricey) but.....loveee it.

I was able to get better components on it by buying it when i did than if I would of bought this years model for the price.

I have not rode my bike since a week ago last Wed.I have had all kinds of issues...from my back, to work, to a nasty summer cold....But....I am drugged up, not snottin as badly and headache is slowly moving away..so I plan to hit it today sometime...

I missed the group ride, but thats ok....my DH will ride with me...he is such a nice guy....

So, Manatee, where do you live? What state???

It is refressing to see bikes back on the tread again....:lovechoc::)

Well it's nice to see a fellow Fuji lover! I love mine! I have gone through a few seats and am now riding on a Sella Italia that I love (came off an old Giant bike I used to own!). Congratulations on your new ride!

I tried to attach a picture...have never done that before, so I hope it comes out right!

~Carol

post-230290-13813137554227_thumb.jpg

carol,

I love your bike...and the color wrap..it is nice. Is it a carbon? How do you like the aerobars?? I was thinking about adding them to my bike for next season, but was really wanting to get use to my pedals first, but I think I am now, so??? I also noticed your seat looks short in the nose part....I noticed allot of them are really long, I think even mine is longer.

How much are you getting to ride now? I am hoping my DH gets his butt in gear so we can ride today...I was sick all week so I am raring to go.

well,sorry...I am excited to see your bike..I really like it

Thanks HP!

Yes, full carbon! I love it! I like the colors too even though that sounds silly. So far it's been the best bike I've ever owned.

I got the aerobars this spring and I'm enjoying that too. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about them, but they've actually given me more options when my arms get tired or elbows start to feel stiff. I don't have to "lay" in them, I can use them as handles too. My DH has the kind that flip up when he's not using them. I may try those just to see what my other options are.

The seat in the picture is no longer on my bike! I hate that seat! The LBS guy thought I'd like it, but it just didn't work out. I am using a longer nosed seat that is real thin. I used to own a Giant racing bike and I took the seat off of that one. It's a Sella Italia. They are pretty pricey seats, but worth it...so far anyway. For me the less seat contact I have with my butt the better. I can ride longer as I'm really only using my "sitting bones" now.

I ride some, but not to the degree you and D did this summer! You girls are awesome. I am still just losing weight so I don't have the energy level you girls do! I sure love it though. I would like to do more, but I am sensitive to the comments that get made by being the fat girl on the bike. It deters me quite a bit. Maybe next year if I lose the weight I'll really get back into it. I think I'll stick to the gym for now where I'm a little more accepted and there isn't a whole lot people can say about me being there!

~C

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

YOU WEIGH WHAT I WEIGH AND I AM OUT ON THE BIKE????????????!!!!!!!!!

JUST SAYN????????????????

I find i dont do as well as some of the lighter weighted people out there, but I dont care.

Last year I use to always worry about being the fattest, now..I just wear a comfy jersey that dont hug my fat roll, and just ride.

I need more options for my arms that is for sure. I was having allot of elbow pain before, and would love the option of layin into them on a flat ride...although there is not too many of those when we go close...

What part of OH are you in??

OH...and color is defiantly important...I refuse to wear my orange shirt with my PURPLE bike now..LOL

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

YOU WEIGH WHAT I WEIGH AND I AM OUT ON THE BIKE????????????!!!!!!!!!

JUST SAYN????????????????

I find i dont do as well as some of the lighter weighted people out there, but I dont care.

Last year I use to always worry about being the fattest, now..I just wear a comfy jersey that dont hug my fat roll, and just ride.

I need more options for my arms that is for sure. I was having allot of elbow pain before, and would love the option of layin into them on a flat ride...although there is not too many of those when we go close...

What part of OH are you in??

OH...and color is defiantly important...I refuse to wear my orange shirt with my PURPLE bike now..LOL

HP,

Most certainly wasn't meant to offend you in any way! I was sharing my personal experience with how I've been treated so far while riding my bike. I've tried to not hear it, I've tried to pretend it's not happening. I just can't ignore it. So far, every time I've gone out on my bike, even if I ride out in the country, some idiot will drive by and make a nasty remark. It just wasn't worth it to me. I chose to stay in the gym instead. I hope that next year I will be able to do it without such comments. That's all I'm saying. I wish I could be brave and not care. I just care too much I guess.

I live in Northwest Ohio. Findlay. How close are you to me?

When I first wanted aerobars my DH discouraged me saying that I would probably not find the position that comfortable (because of my gut). I did it anyway, and am SO GLAD I did. It IS comfortable, and it gives my back and elbows a break. Also, because it's not as low as the drop bars, it doesn't squish my gut. They weren't very expensive. Shop around though, as there are a few different styles. The bars could be a little longer in my opinion to give more stretch to my wrists. I will be altering them for sure!

Tomorrow is the HHH. The Hancock Horizontal Hundred. The big ride I've waited all year for and I'm not riding it. I hate that I just couldn't let it go and ride. I will be riding SAG though with my DH.

I'm learning so much about myself through all this. Kinda stinks, but I guess I might not have learned had I not experienced it!

~C

NO. No offense at all taken....that is not what I meant. sometimes it is hard to get across your "tone" when saying something...I was just saying that when I started riding my bike I weighed 335 lbs. so, for me to get on my bike at 220, is something to be proud of. I guess living in a bigger town maybe would make me feel differently about others and the snickers. I want to get past the fear of not fitting in with some of the better bikers out there, which is a battle in itself. Like for example, they will call a ride, and say what kind of ride it is, and what the average of speed they excpect....sometimes I can tell by the tone of that what and who they want on the rides. I hate to go and do a 40-50 mile hill ride and hold the others back..because I struggle some still on hills, and will rest when I need to. Endurance is something i am trying to build on.

I will have to see how close you are to me....I am in Indiana about 90 miles south of Bloomington.

There are allot of good ride right now, and I would love to go to them..so...I have planned on 2 for sure that we are doing in the latter part of this month....

Does your husband ride as well???

That helps if he does.

I wish I lived near a gym..would love to go to one. For now, I am walking again at lunch....

and you are about 5 hours from me. I went and looked up that ride tommorow...it looks like an awesome ride. are they offering rides other than the 100 miler? I think that would be a great trip for us for next year.

We need to find a ride that is maybe halfway bettween the two of us and just do it?????

My husband says that people can be mean and cruel...and it may be just the area we are in, but I dont seem to get a bunch of crap anymore...but we are usually either with our daughter or a group.

I am really sorry you are missing out....Keep your chin up.......I just love your bike though and will be looking for some aerobars.

I am taking it to Florida when I go in October. I just dont want to be off it all month and there are some good areas down there to ride that this lady has been giving me information on. I would like to get my first century in there...we will see.

HP,

5 hours isn't bad at all! J and BG are pretty close to me too. It would be a lot of fun if the group got together someday and did a ride. I love that J and BG do that!

Yeah, I'm okay, don't worry! I've been riding for years, but this getting fat thing really took it's toll on me as I'm sure most everyone here can understand. The thing is, despite my weight, I'm able to keep up and do most of the stuff everyone else is doing. I'm a strong rider. I am just self conscious about how I look on the bike. I still love my bike and I'm happy with most of the changes I've made to it. I will ride again!!! LOL

I think that's terrible that with all the miles you've put on your bike that someone would make you feel that you're not welcome on a ride. We don't have any hills here in Findlay. None. Seriously. All the rides are the same. The only difference is the group that goes. We have a group of 'die hard' riders that are pretty fast. They call it a 'fitness ride', but no one can keep up with them. Their average speed is in the 20's. My daughter can ride with them, but she is young and has lots of stamina! My husband rides (the whole family does). He is a strong rider too. We just haven't ridden much this year although we had big plans and dreams of doing so. Life happens. He is supportive though. The last time someone made a comment to me was the parade last month I posted about. I was riding right behind him and he heard the guys in a jeep make a nasty remark to me, but he kept trying to say they were talking about him too. Sweet of him to try to protect my feelings, but I know better! Anyway, I will never give up riding. I love it!

I am definitely feeling better though with the few pounds I've lost. It feels so good to be changing sizes and "growing out of" my clothes. I love my band so much. I've had some issues with it, we didn't get along very well for a while there, but we are better friends today.

I think that's awesome that you can take your bike to Florida with you! How fun to explore that area while you're away. I would love that. Not to mention you've extended your summer a whole month by going there!

~C

oh, I know. it was just so cool to end up talking to someone that was actually from indiana.

But, yes, I am sure we could find a ride that would be close for all of us. I rode with J and BG last year at the end of September.They smoked my butt..I was still a very casual rider on a hybrid. I still am a casual rider, but not on a hybrid and I take it allot more serious now.

I like rolling hills...I just dont like Killer ones....YIKES.

It is great your family rides. My 17 year old was riding, she stopped because she is working all the time. My 14 year old rides allot with us on the casual rides...

I posted some rides in September and October as another thread..It would be awesome if we tried for something in the first part of the riding season next year.

You know, you have done very well with your weight loss so far. how tall are you?

I am 5'8 and my butt and stomach is where most of my weight hangs out...litterally....LOL

Well, we are getting ready to go ride....I will proably be sneezing and snotting all over the place, but what the heck....girls gotta get her fix...

Take care, and email me sometime

HP, Turler and anyone else who is interested. Here is a ride that might be great to meet up and do in 09. Most routes have rolling hills at the most, shorter routes are flat, flat, flat.

CRCC

Paducah would probably be about the same distance from your place, HP, as it is from where I am in KY (but definitely not between). But, for anyone interested it is a fun, casual ride.

I think we need "Bycyling" jerseys whenever 2 or more are gathered in the same ride (sounds vaguely biblical - LOL!).

For me, training for a organized ride (with t-shirts!) keeps me on track.

Turler - I HATE those kind of comments! But, as I am uncomfortable thinking that someone just noticed that my a$$ is "above average" I try to think "yeah, but if I wasn't in FRONT of you, you wouldn't see it! Eat my dust, loser!" Doesn't entirely stop the sting, but dissin' the disser (even if just mentally) sure helps me smile inside. :shades_smile:

KY

OMG that is too funny...can you imagine??? OMG...

Paducah sounds like a good ride, and did you see it is NEXT weekend? Wonder if they have any rides in the spring????

I am a defiante fan of a good shirt.....love being able to get the Normal size shirts...

Got to ride tonight...we call it our challenge or fitness ride. It is over at the lake and at one point we climbed a pretty decent grade but my husband has not downloaded it from the GPS so i cant remember what he said the change in elevation was..but for Indiana, it was not fun.

With me fighting this cold, my lung capacity was yuck too. But...It was a good ride for someone who has been off her bike for 10 days....

Anyway.....hope everyone is having a good night

Yeah, I think HH and I are going to go over to Paducah and ride next weekend. Haven't decided what distance, but we'll register at the ride, so....whatever we feel like that day! Grab your husband and c'mon over!

KY