Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

You can ride a mountain bike on the road and not mess it up, if that is your concern. However a hybrid or road bike will be much easier to ride on the pavement in comparison. Last year I rode a good 2mph faster on a hybrid than I did on my mountain bike.

Jaime

If you think you are going to solely ride on the road or pavement only, get a road bike and forget about a hybrid. You essentially are riding a hybrid.

Let me add, if you think you'll want to ride more than an hour at a time a well fitted road bike will be more conducive for that. They just feel better.

I may be biased but this time last year I was asking the same questions you are asking. I have been very happy with my road bike.

Thanks for the tips. What I'm going to do first, is ride the bike I have, and if I keep up with it consistently I am going to buy a road bike. But for now, I haven't road it enough to justify buying a new one yet. So once the weather gets back to spring, I am going to see how much I will stick with it before I buy a new one. I am kicking myself now though. I let my sister's husband talk me into a stupid mountain bike because that's what they do, and I haven't taken it offroad but one time on a trail they took me on and now they've moved, lol. So I am thinking I will probably trade it in for a road bike eventually. Thanks again!

On the other side i love my moutain bike.

I runs really good on the road and then i get to hit the trails around here.

I was on one yesterday and took a photo for you guys.

The snow is almost gone!!! Yaaay.

post-220194-13813136836421_thumb.jpg

EWWww

Snow. You can keep it. I'm tired of snow. I don't want to see it again for a long time.

Damn ya'll. It seems quiet here for a MOnday...

My scale moved a bit this morning... I'm 98.6 down now... Hoping to hit the 100 mark by Friday. This new fill is great, and has also helped to re-motivate me.

I wrote in another thread this morning that I had a hypoglycemic episode when I was getting out of the shower. I did this quite often after my tight fill I had in Sept. I need to remember to eat more frequently, now that I'm eating so much less again.

I'm sitting around in my work-out clothes. Lol. I feel the pounds melting off just sitting here. J/K. I have to go do laundry, then I'm going to go for a walk. It's just under 60F here. I'd ride my bike, but I really want to get the seat changed before I try it again... Maybe I'll work on that this afternoon.

ZZ,

Get that new seat and get on that bike!!!!

Girl come on! And don't forget to eat about 30-40 minutes before heading out. Even if it's just a few triscuits or something small. You don't need to keel over!

Now here's the question, do I go out in shorts or long pants to cycle? It's 3:25 and I leave in 35 minutes. I've cleared off my desk, packed up my bag so I can run, not walk out the door at four. If I'm still on the property at 4 does that count? It takes a minute to get to my car and drive to the end of the entrence way...

I think they call this SPRING fever!

You all kill me. Did I tell you about how my shorts give my thighs that hour glass shape?

Ugh.

But yeah, shorts it will be....Yee mother effing Haw! (nod to JC)

OMG...I missed the whole damn beautiful day! I started my 12 hour shifts today. Oh, and guess what? I work tomorrow too and it's gonna be 70 frickin degrees out AGAIN!! And again, I'm gonna miss it!

So...how was your day? :lol:) Everyone have a nice ride? Enjoy the weather? LOL

J: I hope you wore the shorts! Too hot for pants...WOO HOO! Hey, good job too...I see your ticker is moving!

Oh...did I mention I'm hungry?

~C

Eat up C! Lol. Oh, wait.. you're on liquids aren't you? Sorry about that. Just remember it's for a good cause. You'll get your band in a few days and it will all be worth it!!!

As for me - I did my laundry, then went to Walmart. On my way home I figured I better make an appearance at the gym, since I didn't walk or ride and it was getting chilly out AND it was spinkling. So I did 30 minutes elliptical... sure, it was a light workout - but it was better than nothing at all... right? I still have a bad headache from having my blood sugar crash earlier, so that is my excuse.

Okay, if you didn't know I was an angry ol crotch you'll be in for a surprise by the following story.

Holy crap people pissed me off today on the bike trail. I live 3 miles away from The Ohio State University and the metro bike trail at the end of my street connects to the school (yeah, BG, you'll be seeing good ol' OSU Friday). Freakin' Lance wannabes take off from there and they have bad manners. At the end of my road is "Dog shit park" where dogs are off leash, and pretty much away from the trail, but some people don't understand you don't let them off leash until they are out in the field! It goes north and additional 7 miles through some nicer neighborhoods, all along a little river past a few high schools. It's track season and if you haven't gotten the memo high school kids are pretty self absorbed and don't pay attention to bikes. Old people walk dogs and don't keep them close. Young couples walk and kanoodle or pout while standing in the left lane.

I actually told some teary eyed young woman to get the hell off the left side of the bike path espeically if she's just going to stand there. Immediately I see this 20 pound dog not on a leash, so I start yelling at the two people closest to it, "get your dog, get your dog" because it is trotting directly at me. There's a pile of mud to my right and other bikers coming at my left. I unclipped quickly and landed on my feet, thank god. As I yell, "FUCK, FUCK, FUCK!" The people who I yelled get your dog to, say, "it's not ours, it's hers". That would be the teary eyed girl...Who now thinks I'm the world's largest bitch...but who I hope never walks on that path without keeping her dog leashed and is mindful of her place. I almost got off my bike and screamed in her face, "A 200 pound woman on a bike going 15mph traveling north and a 20 pound dog walking 5mph south collide. What do you think happens to that dog? I'll will be smashed, I'll be hurt and my bike will be damaged." But I didn't say anything...

Holy crap it was stressful. I only rode ~20 instead of more because I needed off the bike path.

Mind you there were times it was delightful. I got out earlier than the after work crowd, so it could have been worse. I didn't fall either. That would have been really ugly.

Bored yet, wait there's more.

I get home by 6:00 so I think get those aerobars installed. I go, I wait, I get coffee, it's not 8:30, Rick the LBS Dude who is amazing starts working on my bike. (They closed at 8, but he's cool with me hanging out) only to find the aerobars won't fit my itty bitty handle bars for my woman specific designed bike with the sissy brakes I love. Narrow bars and the second set of breaks don't leave enough room for the bars. So no aerobars for me. :lol:

But my cycling mentor met me at the shop and talked bikes and gossiped for for a few, which was cool.

All in all, biking was good, seeing Rick was good, seeing Joanna was good. People who don't bike are bad.