Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys how much pain was you in after the band removal and sleeve in one procedure? I am having this done Friday. In 2 days and my nerves are extremely rattled and my anxiety is through the roof. Not because of pain just the surgery itself. I am hung up on the fact they are removing part of my stomach. I am on chronic pain medication for my back and I have been on it for about 4 years now. I hope they can get my pain under control post op and send me home with something other than my normal pain meds. Can anyone give me any advice on this. Thanks in advance.

Hi there - pain levels really seem to vary widely, so not sure you can accurately predict. I felt uncomfortable in the 24 hours or so after surgery, but really wasn't in a lot of pain. I was hitting my pain button mostly because it would help me sleep. I just couldn't find a comfortable position, so that was annoying, but not the end of the world. By day three when I went home I didn't need any pain meds at all.

That said - some people in the groups I've been to have talked about experiencing what they considered to be extreme pain in the days after surgery. That doesn't seem to be the norm, but a few people really find it difficult to get through.

My guess is that if you're someone who's been dealing with chronic pain, you probably won't have too hard a time. I really didn't have any awareness of internal pain from the cutting of my actual stomach. I think most of the pain is from the incisions through the stomach muscles - and some people experience more internal gas-related pains, which can be pretty bad.

Wishing you the best!

It wasn't bad. I had it done last week and I had a lot of nausea but the pain wasn't as bad as the band I don't think! Hang in there, my hardest part is that my allergies kicked in on day 4 and I am having trouble with a post nasal drip. If the allergies were gone it would be great one week out. I slept on my belly last night! I could get up fine after surgery, some discomfort where they removed the stomach (from a tiny hole) and some discomfort from the hernia repair but worth it. Lost 20lbs this week.

I had a slipped disc last year and this was a fraction of the pain of that, if that helps you imagine it.

I had pain the first day but after I was released I was fine. I took the liquid pain med once because I couldn't sleep but it made we wonky and nauseated.

I was in some pain for about three days but it was manageable. I am struggling to find something to control my arthritis pain. Ibuprofen was a wonder drug but I definitely can not take it now. I took one quarter of the regular dose of the liquid painkiller that I left the hospital with just so could move around in the morning. Still waiting on my insurance to approve Celebrex, which is supposed to be easier on your stomach than ibuprofen. We'll see if it works.