Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op weight loss

I don't have my date yet, due to needing my insurance switch to be in effect, Jan 1. I need to lose 15-20 pounds in order to be approved, which normally isn't a problem for me, but I cannot seem to do it. I want the sleeve, so bad, no doubts. I can't seem to get my shit together enough to maintain a proper diet, which again, is odd, since I want this more than anything. Does anyone have any suggestions? I need some support, I think. Thank you.

The simplest way is probably to do Meal Replacement shakes for all your meals except for dinner. For that meal have a meat with non-starchy veg.

The only diet I could ever follow without being hungry all the time was Atkins. Lots of Protein and salads. The first 3 or 4 days are REALLY HARD as your body detoxes the carbs but if you can through the first week you will be ok.

Good luck, I know how hard it is.

Yes, I know what you are talking about. I have to show weight loss in two consecutive NUT appointments to be released for surgery. I put on about 10 pounds! It was a lot of anxiety eating, food funerals and just plain nervous eating about the process of preparing for such a life changing event. Well, before my last NUT appointment I went on a Protein shake diet for 3 days before the appointment and was down 6 pounds when I weighed in. Now I have an appointment on the 22nd and I am going to start the liquid diet on the 17th to make sure I show weight loss.

Before you think I am a total cheat, let me tell you that I have changed my ways. I eat 3 meal a day plus two Protein shakes as Snacks per day. I walk as much as I can in a cold and frosty climate, and I'm doing a good job staying away from sugar. The thing is I just don't lose weight! My body hangs on for dear life to every ounce of fat. If I had to lose weight with diet and exercise alone, I would never qualify for surgery! Besides, the liquid diets are practice for when I have to go the full 2 weeks pre-op.

Hang in there and keep starting over no matter how you ate the day before.

Have you tried logging your food and exercise on www.myfitnesspal.com? It keeps me honest, and I can see how quickly carbs add up.

If you live alone, I would raid your cupboards and toss the simple carbs: all flour, sugar, bread, rice, Pasta, Cereal, etc. Put it in the garbage or foist on a neighbor.

I'm struggling to lose right now as well, before surgery Dec. 29th. Fortunately, my doc helped me with a Phentermine prescription. It helps keep the hunger at bay.

Oh I'm having the same problem. My therapist says it is from my fear of thinking I'll never get to eat this way again. Maybe she is right. So I had a binge until I was completely sick and then got on track. OH I'm not saying do that. lol I also went through my house found one cabinet and but all the stuff I could eat in it and then found another and put all the stuff I can't eat in it put a lock on that bad boy and gave the key to my husband. Its hard but if you can't learn to eat healthy now are you ready for a life changing experience? You have to make that choice. Its a tough one but it is SOOO important to do. I'm on day two of my pre op and its going ok.

Hello,

I had a hard time when I first started losing the weight. I finally started dropping when I ate only meat and veggies. I did have the occasional mini bagel for Breakfast, but that was rare. I drink only Water or lemon Water. I have lost 30#, and have not had my surgery yet. I am looking at early January. I also started walking, not far at first, but built up the distance slowly. My recovery after surgery is my motivation. I am hoping that having lost weight prior will help me after surgery! You can do it!! Take small steps eliminate one item at the time. One day stop fast food, the next soda, the next fried foods. This is what has worked for me. Good luck!!

Thank you all so much! I appreciate the support, more than words can say. I am going to find some Protein Drinks to try out, and start replacing meals with them.

I joined slimming world and found their plan great. You actually get to eat meals and feel satisfied. The first week there I lost 4lbs, and the most in a week I lost was 6.5 lbs.

I didn't do any extra exercise than my norm. Chasing after the kids, house work and walking in the park.

I lost 70lbs in 9 months with them.

Only now Im starting to lose my way, as usual. I lose a good amount and then I lose my motivation and start eating big quantities.

Hence why I want the Sleeve. Restrict my amount.

Worthwhile joining a group and meeting each week. That should help you lose the weight while waiting surgery date.