Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the average weight loss per week?

I've heard that you lose the most the first 3 to 6 months and then it slows down. I am 2 weeks post op tomorrow. First week I lost 16 pounds and the second week 6..good but quite a difference. I know everyone one is different but just wondering what to expect from here on out. 6 pds a week? Less?

My answer might not be popular or what anyone would want to hear, but how much you can "expect" to lose isn't a number that exists, in my opinion. We can read as much as we want and see 5-15 pounds per week- and we get all excited, only to find out that we lost 3 pounds that week. Setting expectations at any point during WLS is a slippery slope (once again, in my opinion). I jumped on that bandwagon and quickly realized I was setting myself up for failure by comparing my experience to a bunch of ambiguous numbers. How much you lose depends on so many things- your beginning weight, your metabolism, your age, how much you exercise (you could be losing inches & gaining muscle which is a good thing!) your general state of health.. I could go on and on. If you follow your surgeon's advice and diet plan, the one thing you can expect is to lose weight. How much and how fast is up to your body. It'll lose what it can handle, at the rate it can handle it. Rushing it can just set you up for a whole other set of problems. Congrats on taking an exciting (though confusing at times) step towards a healthier life! :)

Thank you that is a wonderful answer and makes perfect sense. Thank you so much and I will keep that in mind on my journey ????

SuzeMuze said it all!!

Thank you that is a wonderful answer and makes perfect sense. Thank you so much and I will keep that in mind on my journey

@@little_mrs We're all here to help, listen, commiserate and celebrate! It's really hard not to compare yourself with others here- I still do it at times, wondering how someone else who had their surgery at about the same time as me has lost so much more weight than I have before I shake my head and put things into perspective. Yep, I'm losing weight, which is fantastic. But what's even better is my blood sugars have dropped to normal proportions, my hip doesn't hurt anymore, and I actually saw the light (literally) between my thighs after I put on pantyhose the other day! (TMI for some, but hey, it was a major victory dance in the bathroom for me) Those kinds of things put a smile on my face- I try not to stare at scale numbers and attach my success to them. ;)

That is wonderful! Congratulations on your success! I guess I try to compare to see if im doing it right. I have a huge fear that the weight will stop coming off and I won't be a success story. Which I never ever felt before the surgery or even after losing 22 pounds so far. I have no clue why I feel that way, but I do. ???? I'm very excited for spring and summer, seeing as I should have "something to show for "all that I've gone thru so far..

Edited by little_mrs

With having so many people know about the surgery, friends, family and co workers. I feel they are all waiting to see if I can do it. Maybe the pressure of that is why I feel like I do.

Suze... great response to the "expected" weight loss. Your words veared me back on track.

TY.

I had my surgery 6 weeks ago and have 17lb I thought I would lose a lot more quicker ,I have been told you can stay the same for a few weeks is this right I'm feeling a little disappointed

I can't figure it out. My weight loss is allover the place. Some days I gain some ounces others I loose 2 lbs and then there were the 11 days with no weight loss. If you look at a period of time such as a month, there is always weight loss but it varies so much day to day or even week to week, there is no way to detect a pattern. I eat pretty much the same and follow my plan. I am 5 weeks post surgery and I have lost 38 lbs but 14 of those was pre-surgery. So, 24 lbs in 5 weeks. But I may not lose anything for the next week. There is absolutely no way of telling. It's a boat ride and nobody knows how it will go. Not even your doctor can tell you.

I agree with all of the above comments. I have lost 35.2 lbs in 7 weeks. My friend lost 100 lbs in four months so I am trying desperately to loose 14.8 more pounds in the next 12 days to keep up with her. I just want to be done! However, she had more weight to lose than I do, so it really isn't fair to compare. Let's just kep moving and Celebrate the victories!

I am 6 weeks post op and starting the end of my 3rd week. I didn't lose for over 2 weeks. I kept thinking omg what am I doing wrong, I was down 42 lbs but 23 lbs were pre op. I tried to limit the people I told about surgery but I still feel the pressure from those who DO know, everyone is asking me everyday, weight loss? Weight loss? Weight loss. I just want them to leave me alone. This journey is so hard to begin with! I am petrified I will be that person that only loses 42 lbs for the rest of my life. But the scale moved down 5 lbs this week and so I am trying to but this bumpy road into perspective! Keep the faith and move forward!!

I will tell you I hardly ever weigh myself. I am 8 weeks post op. I weighed at 4 weeks and 6 weeks. I go to the gym 5-6 days a week. I eat the best I can. I drink my Water and take my Vitamins. I love trying on clothes and I am amazed how fast the sizes go down. I am down 3 pant sizes and went from 2X shirt to X large. That tells me more than the scale ever will.

Yes, it is very hard not to compare ourselfes with ppl who had their surgery around the same time as us. Or with the same starting weight and stats. My friend had her RNY 1 week before me, and she is at her goal!!!! I am so happy for her, but mindblowing wooow I still have 1/3 of my excess weight to lose and she is at goal and I am stalling my little heart out! I want it faster, I want it now, I want it all.

And then I stop myself and I think I am so pathetic. I already feel good, healthier, prettier. I have all the time in the world, it is not a race and I have no reason to panic. I do well. So why do I beat myself up? I should be happy! I have to remember that I am lucky I am alive after this major surgery, and I am healthy. No complications, no problems, smooth ride.

I have never been this size before, I gave up dieting before losing this much, so I have to Celebrate my success. So what if you "only" lose 10 lbs in a month? When was the last time you lost 10 pounds in a month before your surgery? Right? me neither...

When I am stalling I tell myself that I am in my skin shrinking phase ;)

I have to keep me reminding me that it took YEARS to get this way and it is taking years to find me again. Dang it... Also I have kept getting better SLOOOWLY.