Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you tell people you had Weight Loss Surgery?

Only my husband and my best friend know. Not my mom...that would be so dramatic. Not my kids...I didn't want my daughters to get a complex. No one else needs to know. Weight is not flying off of me fast enough to draw extreme attention. In 6 months or so, I figure people will start asking and I'll just tell them about my eating habits. The rest is none of their business. :-)

You don't need to "be prepared up with a story", you just need to be confident in your answers and firm in your efforts to shut people down.

"I'm working with my doctor and eating smaller, healthier portions and exercising." Period.

What are you eating? "Well, my doctor and nutritionist have come up with a plan that works specifically for me." Period.

Are you allowed to eat...? "Just like you, I can eat whatever I want, I simply choose not to." Period.

How much have you lost? "A lot."

Well, how much? "A lot."

So how many pounds? "A lot."

What size do you wear now? "That's a weird question."

Did you have surgery? "Why in the world would you ask such a personal question?" or "I didn't realize you were interested in WLS. I suggest you contact a doctor." or "That's a weird question."

How much more do you want to lose? "I'll know when I get there."

Are you still trying to lose weight? "I am working on being the healthiest I can be."

So HOW MUCH have you lost? "A LOT."

Wow! You've lost a TON of weight. "Thank you."

WOW! You are shrinking to nothing. "Thank you."

WOW! You've lost a whole person. "Thank you."

You are going to blow away soon. "Thank you."

Wow. You can't lose much more, can you? "Thank you."

It's really quite easy. Now give me a hard question.

EXACTLY!!!!

I've told no one except very close family members....

At first, when I was getting many compliments, people wanted to know what was my secret....

I simply told them I do not eat nearly as much as I used to, sometimes skipping meals, I concentrate on a high Protein based diet when I do eat, no longer eat red meat, things made from flour/dough including pasta's, breads, etc, I drink Water all day long, and go to the gym every chance I get...all of which is very true!

BTW...I have been at optimal weight for almost 3 years now....the compliments have stopped, people don't talk about my weight loss anymore...it's old news, and now I am accepted for who and what I am today.

And new people I meet, never knew me when I was a fattie....

I've been in situations where I had to tell people how much I used to weigh, and even then some simply will not believe it.

So all this is short term, and eventually you put it all behind you...and get to normal...the new normal.

I think if I had openly broadcasted the fact is was also a result of WLS, people's attitudes would be different today...

Edited by B-52

I smile, say I quit eating and laugh! They usually laugh and move along.

I hate people making comments about my weight up or down. I grew up in a house where there was discussion on weight at least five times a day, no kidding. My husband and one adult child knows. That's it.

When we go out to dinner with people, my husband reminds me about the Protein Shake I "just" had, no wonder Im not very hungry....lol

It's no ones business! This may be very petty of me, but I really enjoy saying this to people who made cruel or sideways shots at the heavy me for my girth.

... our society treats massive weight loss like a spectator sport.

Isn't that the damn truth!

And no -- I told only Dear Hubby and two very close friends.

I have zero interest in becoming the WLS Poster Child / Ambassador / Educator of my zip code. For those who want to do that, knock yourselves out.

I usually do not offer it up but everyone wants to know how I lost my weight, and that is when it comes out.

I didn't tell a soul besides my wife. I am happy with that decision as I don't like to talk about myself and having to explain surgery to the uneducated and skeptics would be more than I would like.

I have told a few people about my decision and am comfortable with that. I follow the advice that my mother ingrained in me: "what is graciously offered should be graciously received." So when someone compliments me, I say "thank you, how nice of you to notice." As far as asking what I have done- I stick with the truth- lower portions and high protein...

I think if you are proud of the way you look after surgery it's ok to tell people. It realy up to the person.My wife has lost 94 pounds in 15 months and i'm very proud of her for that.She looks great.

I feel it is ingrained into our society also...everyone has problems with their body image. I feel like it is your personal decision on how to address it. I go back and forth on how I feel. I know that people will comment on my loss, since I have so much to lose. I have told people in my immediate family, because they are all so supportive of my decision and I think that is helpful to my psyche. But I have hesitated to tell the world, other than on here. So many people are so helpful on these forums. I have several people in my family that are overweight...so I am hoping to be an inspiration to them. It is really tough for you being in the beauty industry...but you need to do and say what makes you most comfortable with yourself. I wish you the best!!

I tell people if they ask. I'm not wearing a sign or anything. If they have a problem, I just try to answer with something snappy like, "Go to hell, jackass."

:P

It is a private matter. Period. I wouldn't ask someone how their sex life is going why should it be acceptable to ask, how are you losing weight? If I want to share i'll publish a book and become a public figure until then I'm a private individual and that's the way I like it.

If anyone asks (surprisingly an annoying number do) I tell them I am doing a medically supervised diet and it's going well, thank you. How much did you lose? I tell them am not sure because for me it's about being healthy and I don't want to be tied to a number on a scale, but my clothes fit so much better and that's wonderful. If anyone presses, I discuss the health problems associated with being overweight (the ones I had too) and the powerful motivator they are to making chances towards a healthier me. I find that people are just curious and just having a friendly response is enough. Keep the conversation light and chance the subject towards something about them. Ask how are they doing and they'll drop you as the subject matter. Works like a charm!

I told very few people (husband, son, mom, and sister) My mom keeps telling EVERYONE even strangers and it's very embarrassing.

I told very few people (husband, son, mom, and sister) My mom keeps telling EVERYONE even strangers and it's very embarrassing.

That's another reason I choose to tell very few people. I know if I do, it suddenly becomes their story to share and I don't care for that.

I don't mind sharing that I've had WLS, particularly with people that look like they are struggling with their weight. My primary care doctor didn't tell me about the sleeve (I didn't like the idea of bypass), and he pointedly discouraged me from having WLS. I got a new doctor as a result. I heard about the sleeve on "My 600lb. Life", researched it and decided this was doable. I'm very happy I made that choice. Maybe I can help others that have a health problem and want to be around longer for their own sake and/or that of their family.

Edited by BeagleLover