Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does the nausea stop?

I'm 13 days post op and nausea is my biggest problem. I constantly feel sick, even with nausea meds. It makes me not want to eat or do anything. I'm really struggling, is there a light at the end of the tunnel??

My nausea lasted two weeks. I'm 3 weeks post op now. Chamomile tea would ease it for a little while. Stay hydrated it only gets worse when you don't drink. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It gets better!!

My nausea lasted two weeks. I'm 3 weeks post op now. Chamomile tea would ease it for a little while. Stay hydrated it only gets worse when you don't drink. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It gets better!!

Thank you. I've been lying here praying for a time machine. Helps to know that others had nausea this long! I'll try drinking more, I know I haven't been getting enough.

I struggled with nausea too. About 3 weeks or so. Definitely drink your Water, I got dehydrated and had to go to hospital to get IV fluids. Also made a round of horrible Constipation happen! Weird, but I found that Crystal Light pink lemonade seemed to be something I could drink that would take some of the nausea out of me for a short bit at a time. Good luck, and won't be much longer. I am 6 mos out now and doing great.

I struggled with nausea too. About 3 weeks or so. Definitely drink your Water, I got dehydrated and had to go to hospital to get IV fluids. Also made a round of horrible Constipation happen! Weird, but I found that Crystal Light pink lemonade seemed to be something I could drink that would take some of the nausea out of me for a short bit at a time. Good luck, and won't be much longer. I am 6 mos out now and doing great.

Thank you! I've needed to hear that. It's been enough to make me regret my decision. I can't wait until I don't regret it anymore. I've been having pity parties for myself about once a day lol. Just get overwhelmed sometimes! I want to avoid the hospital again...and the IV! Yikes...

I've been having nausea too! I'm 4 weeks out. Hot tea works and I also like the crystal light pink lemonade too. Being nausea or sick is not fun. I also have pity parties. Lol but everyone I talked too said it gets better. So it's not abnormal. Good luck!!!

I've had one huge pity party all week pretty much. I've been beside myself with nausea. Major regrets. I've been crying non-stop all evening.

I had a scope procedure done on Thursday with them thinking they'd have to stretch the opening into my stomach. They didn't have to, but did say the area where the stomach connects to the intestines is still raw/red, and stitches are still there.

So I need to go back to mushies/soft stuff for a while.

Although today I ate just 4 bites of yogurt and I was sick. Then had cottage cheese and was sick. (both of which I've been able to eat before) Diarrhea all night and day...

It's like there's no rhyme or reason to what makes me sick--so I can't figure out what to change.

Just had some broth with Protein mix. We'll see how that does. Drinking watered down white grape juice too.

My body doesn't like the artificial sweetners, but I might try the pink lemonade crystal light if it'll help.

This post did make me feel better, knowing there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm just moving through that tunnel really slowly!

I've found out that if I actually make myself get out and do something, the nausea subsides. A lot of my nausea is psychological I think. Psyching myself out and just overthinking things. I'm going to find a counselor, I've been struggling with depression, spending a majority of my day in bed or on the couch watching Dr. Phil on YouTube. I haven't struggled with depression since my teenage years. This has been so tough for me and I'm not eating or drinking enough. I'm so done with the pity party. Can't wait to have my appt Monday to advance my diet. I have the hiccups all the time and times when I feel like air gets stuck in my chest and I can't get it to go up or down. I keep seeing all these people who feel great and amazing and energized so it's good to see I'm not the only one struggling.

My dr. Gave me meds for nausea after, a dissolving pill and cream to put on my wrists, I had no nausea after 3 days

I hope you are all feeling better by now. I remember crying and wondering too if I had mad a bad choice. But, it really does subside and it really has been a blessing in my life. I had an aversion to sweetness at first too. The sugar substitutes were sickening! Even now, at 6+months out, I use less sweetener than ever. For instance, I used 10 packets of sweet n low in a gallon of tea before surgery, and for months afterwards used only 6 packets. I used 8 today. I ate a lot of scrambled eggs with onion on my soft foods. Keep drinking lots of Water and check back every day....we can keep encouraging you and you can see how each day brings more normalcy to your life. praying for you all.

I hope you are all feeling better by now. I remember crying and wondering too if I had mad a bad choice. But, it really does subside and it really has been a blessing in my life. I had an aversion to sweetness at first too. The sugar substitutes were sickening! Even now, at 6+months out, I use less sweetener than ever. For instance, I used 10 packets of sweet n low in a gallon of tea before surgery, and for months afterwards used only 6 packets. I used 8 today. I ate a lot of scrambled eggs with onion on my soft foods. Keep drinking lots of Water and check back every day....we can keep encouraging you and you can see how each day brings more normalcy to your life. praying for you all.

Thank you so much!!! I think my problem was that I went into this assuming recovery would be easy! I kept reading about feeling good after a couple days and when that didn't happen for me and then the nausea hit, I just became a puddle which is completely out of character for me! You are giving me hope darlin'! :)

Also, can I give these hormones back?? I don't like them! Lol.

Thank you, thank you. Today was better, but all I've had is popsicles, cottage cheese and broth with Protein powder. I've managed to get in about 45 oz. of water/watered down juice.

I really appreciate your assurance that it gets better. I just bawled and bawled last night and this morning. My honey finally embraced me and let me cry it out. Then he said, "Ok, you're in this babe. Let's step back...when were you not nauseated?" When I was on liquids....and cottage cheese seems to set well. "Ok, so let's do that for a week or so and see how that goes."

What I don't understand is I did pureed meat/veggies for a week before I started getting sick every time I'd eat. So maybe I Just got lazy and didn't chew enough, had bigger portions than I thought I was having...? I don't know, but I'll give my belly a rest for a while.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to them! :-)

@@jodie1961 heyy I was wondering when you eat now do you still have to eat slowly and chew very well ? Did you feel sick when you started the soft food ?

@@jodie1961 heyy I was wondering when you eat now do you still have to eat slowly and chew very well ? Did you feel sick when you started the soft food ?

I do have to chew very well, and slowly. I don't get nauseas too often, but as soon as I have not chewed/ or eat too fast....it's like my throat fills with mucus and it feels like I am full to the top of my throat....and you guessed it! I have to go throw up until I get the un-chewed portion out. But I do not have any more nausea like in the beginning. Thank Goodness!

I had a band revision to rny bypass in the same surgery, and I believe the extraction of the band, port and scar tissue really made my stomach extra sensitive in the first month or so. Definitely keep drinking your fluids, and keep trying your different Protein choices...you never know what day your tastes will change and you will be able to tolerate the new foods. Hang in there.