Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Quilting projects...which one....well I am ALMOST done with a wholecloth hand quilted queen size. It is a wedding gift for my daughter who got married 2 Augusts ago. I am hoping to get is done before her 2 year anniversary. I also hand-piece and quilt baby quilts, what we call 'promise quilting'. I have enough for each of my 5 daughters' first babies. However, I have yet to get a grandchild. I have a queen size log cabin quilt that I have been working on for 11 years. I am finishing up the quilting on it. I ALSO have a scrap quilt, that while all the fabrics are from the same medley, the techniques for each 'block' are different. Everytime I learn a new technique I use it to make part of the quilt, applique, embroidery, stenciling, paper piecing, foundation quilting. It is my 'diary' quilt. I also make jewelry, rugs, purses/bags (fabric & felted), wool hats, knit, embroidery, woodworking, some clay work.

So ladies, tell me it gets easier. I hope that this all gets easier when I get a fill. Right now this seems an impossible journey. I know you all did it, but tell me you all whined a little. Right now I feel like I am a huge baby. I hate whining, but everything seems to be so hard. I do remind myself that I paid $7000 for this privilege to feel this way. Head hungry, well, it has always been my head that causes me problems. I probably wouldn't have passed the psych eval. Okay I am at an all time low. I will go drink some Water. I have had only 32 oz of Water today....

CALORIESCARBSFATPROTEINnt3_totals2.jpg1,2461793566

Spark People.com today....Cals 1246, Carbs, Fat, Protien

Quilting projects...which one....well I am ALMOST done with a wholecloth hand quilted queen size. It is a wedding gift for my daughter who got married 2 Augusts ago. I am hoping to get is done before her 2 year anniversary. I also hand-piece and quilt baby quilts, what we call 'promise quilting'. I have enough for each of my 5 daughters' first babies. However, I have yet to get a grandchild. I have a queen size log cabin quilt that I have been working on for 11 years. I am finishing up the quilting on it. I ALSO have a scrap quilt, that while all the fabrics are from the same medley, the techniques for each 'block' are different. Everytime I learn a new technique I use it to make part of the quilt, applique, embroidery, stenciling, paper piecing, foundation quilting. It is my 'diary' quilt. I also make jewelry, rugs, purses/bags (fabric & felted), wool hats, knit, embroidery, woodworking, some clay work.

You sound just like me... lots of U.F.O.'s (unfinished objects) I have made 2 king size quilts, one that is on my BED and the other was for my Best Friends Wedding several years ago.. for her wedding day I showed her the fabrics I was going to use, and for her 1st anniversary I finally had the Wedding Quilt done to give to them...LOL I have made my DD a Queen size for her 1st wedding, and now she is planning wedding #2... so I should really make her another....right? I dont' know how many baby quilts that I have made... but lap size hummm, I think i've made 8 in total... some I have and use, some I've given away as gifts.

But wow, you are into way more hobbies than I... you must be a very talented gal.

I just joined a Block of the Month quilt in April making a Blue/Yellow quilt as you go method.. which is very exciting for me as I usually HAND quilt.. so learning a new procedure is great and give my fingertips a rest. They are throbbing right now as I've been quilting in front of the TV for hours! ( helps keep me from eating)

So ladies, tell me it gets easier. I hope that this all gets easier when I get a fill. Right now this seems an impossible journey. I know you all did it, but tell me you all whined a little. Right now I feel like I am a huge baby. I hate whining, but everything seems to be so hard. I do remind myself that I paid $7000 for this privilege to feel this way. Head hungry, well, it has always been my head that causes me problems. I probably wouldn't have passed the psych eval. Okay I am at an all time low. I will go drink some Water. I have had only 32 oz of Water today....

Don't worry, you are not whinning any more or louder than any of us that have gone before. You are just entering "Bandster Hell" . Its that time after you are healed from surgery, but BEFORE you have restriction.

It will take several fills before you have adequet restriction so be patient. Its very hard... we all remember well. I had to go thru it twice!!! My first surgery was in July 07 (like everyone else) but then 4 -5 fills into the journey my nurse PUNCTURED my Tubing to the port and I had to have a 2nd surgery to FIX the damn thing... needless to say that gave me a huge excuse to feel sorry for myself and continue eating poorly...

I do very well, when I stay on the straight and narrow as I DO have proper restriction now. 7.5 cc's in a 10 cc Band. My sweet spot.

Yup, $7000 is a LOT of money... and you are getting what you paid for... it just takes time... It dson't all happen overnight.. Its the waiting that is the worst...

But think about how lucky you are to have gotten the surgery at all... At least you are ON your JOURNEY, consider the thousands of folks out there who are doomed to remain fat because they cannot afford this surgery.

WE ARE THE LUCKY ONES, just keep telliny your self that o.k.

Hang in... it'll get there

Night, night:tt1:

Okay I want to be honest. This is a yes and no answer. The physical hunger for me did go away with the band. I couldn't physically eat as much. Once I got into the swing of things the food choices became much easier. Exercise became a passion. Treating myself right became second nature. I had my A-HA moment as I was driving to the hospital for my surgery. I was lucky that it came so early. My mommy's came early too and we both never lost hope, kept steadfast through the entire journey, and were able to lose the weight. I however, have had some struggles since losing the weight.

However, almost 2 years out and I still have head hunger. I still fight the food demons. That struggle and fight has been publicly documented here. This is where the NO answer comes in. I still fight food daily. I still fight going to the gym. I WANT to be able to sit down with ONE piece of cake like a normal person and be able to not have withdrawls from the cravings for more. Food will always be a struggle. I assume that it will get easier at some point, but right now it isn't. There are times when I have to take 2 steps back to get back on the right track. I am currently doing the 5 day pouch test which means 2 days liquids, and 3 days of increasingly denser Proteins. I didn't do this to lose weight as I have not stepped on the scales for at least 2 weeks. But rather I did it to get me back on track. Get back on the road to health.

WLS is NOT ever easy. It is hard work. It is just a tool. Putting a roof on a house is not an easy task. You make it more doable if you give the carpenter a hammer, and you make it faster if you make that hammer automatic. But still the job is hard and frustrating. That is how I look at my band. It is a tool. How I choose to use it (or if I choose to use it) is completely up to me. When I screw around, it doesn't work but when I follow the rules and listen to my body, it does its job. The band will not work if you don't.

I don't want to be a pessimist because this truly is the greatest thing that I have ever done. But I want you to know that there is no magic time when you wake up and this struggle becomes "easy". This is a lifetime committment.

Hi ladies,

Just a quick check in. Long day of shopping out of town. did fairly well total wise, but not great. Jeff wouldn't let me go walking today because of doc's orders of walking one day resting the next.

so I got 1150 cals, 66g Protein, 82 oz Water.

Frustrating!! I've been getting posts from most of the threads I subscribe to on my Blackberry, but NOT this one! So I have two pages to catch up on and no time. Going to "Jazz" church in a few, then back to the rest of the jazz festival!CBL

Here is a picture of my grand daughter. She was born on 2/5/09.

post-219773-13813138327683_thumb.jpg

Okay I want to be honest. This is a yes and no answer. The physical hunger for me did go away with the band. I couldn't physically eat as much. Once I got into the swing of things the food choices became much easier. Exercise became a passion. Treating myself right became second nature. I had my A-HA moment as I was driving to the hospital for my surgery. I was lucky that it came so early. My mommy's came early too and we both never lost hope, kept steadfast through the entire journey, and were able to lose the weight. I however, have had some struggles since losing the weight.

However, almost 2 years out and I still have head hunger. I still fight the food demons. That struggle and fight has been publicly documented here. This is where the NO answer comes in. I still fight food daily. I still fight going to the gym. I WANT to be able to sit down with ONE piece of cake like a normal person and be able to not have withdrawls from the cravings for more. Food will always be a struggle. I assume that it will get easier at some point, but right now it isn't. There are times when I have to take 2 steps back to get back on the right track. I am currently doing the 5 day pouch test which means 2 days liquids, and 3 days of increasingly denser Proteins. I didn't do this to lose weight as I have not stepped on the scales for at least 2 weeks. But rather I did it to get me back on track. Get back on the road to health.

WLS is NOT ever easy. It is hard work. It is just a tool. Putting a roof on a house is not an easy task. You make it more doable if you give the carpenter a hammer, and you make it faster if you make that hammer automatic. But still the job is hard and frustrating. That is how I look at my band. It is a tool. How I choose to use it (or if I choose to use it) is completely up to me. When I screw around, it doesn't work but when I follow the rules and listen to my body, it does its job. The band will not work if you don't.

I don't want to be a pessimist because this truly is the greatest thing that I have ever done. But I want you to know that there is no magic time when you wake up and this struggle becomes "easy". This is a lifetime committment.

Karla, Karri; Well said Karri!!!! You are right on. No sugar coating it. (Pardon the PUN)

If you read all the posts from everyone on here you will find honesty, love & direction. We dont all take the same journey to get where we're going. Some of us learn early, some of us learn LATE.

However, some of us are more pig-headed than others (ME!) and tend to try and do things "my own way" ... it only ever works for me if I stick to the straight and narrow...

I am the type that MUST be accountable, either to myself or others... Mostly OTHERS works best for me... I get my Strength and determination from all of the rest of you...

As if left to my own devices I fluctuate and stumble...

Today, and only for today I have a plan - and its working for me...

Will my plan work for me tomorrow? I won't know until tomorrow... in that moment.

Here are my today totals...

CALORIESCARBSFATPROTEINnt3_totals2.jpg1,126-137-28-51

Hi ladies,

Just a quick check in. Long day of shopping out of town. did fairly well total wise, but not great. Jeff wouldn't let me go walking today because of doc's orders of walking one day resting the next.

so I got 1150 cals, 66g Protein, 82 oz Water.

Great Job Stephanie!!! Your numbers are looking good and healthy. I am glad your Doctor is saying One day on and One day off... That is very sensible, considering what you've been thru:rolleyes2:

Frustrating!! I've been getting posts from most of the threads I subscribe to on my Blackberry, but NOT this one! So I have two pages to catch up on and no time. Going to "Jazz" church in a few, then back to the rest of the jazz festival!CBL

Wow, this sounds like so much fun!!!:blink:

Today was a good day, calories are well within range, and I did 2 hours of heavy yard work. The sun is like a drug for me. I would have done more but 'incisions were starting hurt, so I figured I better quit. Made some sugar free Jello for this week and I am learning to eat oatmeal which I add Protein Powder, skim milk, and sugar free maple Syrup (Steph thanks for syrup idea). I ate a little to much for lunch (3pm) but calories were with in range. My weakness is my coffee, Internation coffee: Cafe vienna. I have 2 cups a day at 140 cals, I need to cut it down to one. I can live with one and figure something out for the other.

How do you all do the no Water during a meal? I get so thirsty, so doctor recommendations is to suck on ice cubes? I understand the no water during/after a meal after a fill. Gosh, maybe I am just trying to find ways around things. I am sorry that I am such high maintenance.

Today was a good day, calories are well within range, and I did 2 hours of heavy yard work. The sun is like a drug for me. I would have done more but 'incisions were starting hurt, so I figured I better quit. Made some sugar free Jello for this week and I am learning to eat oatmeal which I add Protein powder, skim milk, and sugar free maple Syrup (Steph thanks for syrup idea). I ate a little to much for lunch (3pm) but calories were with in range. My weakness is my coffee, Internation coffee: Cafe vienna. I have 2 cups a day at 140 cals, I need to cut it down to one. I can live with one and figure something out for the other.

How do you all do the no Water during a meal? I get so thirsty, so doctor recommendations is to suck on ice cubes? I understand the no water during/after a meal after a fill. Gosh, maybe I am just trying to find ways around things. I am sorry that I am such high maintenance.

THIS does get easier. I just refused to let myself do it. however I have gotten lazier with this lately and would drink to soon. It really does make a difference. Thing is though...if you start practicing NOW before the fill, then you just get into the habit sooner. My trick for this is that if I get thirsty I pop in a piece of SF gum. This will usually do the trick. How long do you have to wait? I am supposed to wait an hour, but I usually am okay if I wait 45 minutes.

As for the coffee, can you just do regular coffee and then add a SF flavoring to it? Then you can have all you want. If you want a little bit of creaminess you could add a small amount of FF milk. I am not good on the coffee front beacuse I don't drink it. However I love hot chocolate, but I now order it as a SF hot chocolate with SF caramel made with water instead of milk. I have had issues with milk since surgery. I am better now, but I can't stand the taste of hot chocolate made with milk. Too heavy.

It is okay to be high maintanance. It is good for some of us to be reminded of the rules!

Hi there ladies. I hope you had a great day! I did.

Had a great day at church. Father in law offered to buy lunch. They all had chicken fried steak with all the trimmings. I had a grilled chicken salad.

Came home and got two batches of suckers done.

Tonight I went out walking and did 5 miles. From daily plate my cals are at 1250 but I'm pretty sure that is high because of the salad...I didn't eat it all but didn't know how to count it so I counted it all and had to use DQ as the numbers and I know they are high. They put bacon on theirs and mine didn't have any. They use a ton of cheese, mine had very little.

So count is:

gross cals 1250

net cals 790

Protein 60 grams

I guess I'm satisfied with those numbers.

Now sitting here watching tv. Going to have a good night. See you tomorrow.

Steph - Don't know why you weren't quoted - but anyway

Thanks too for your kind words... I think (know really) that my DD Karri and I were quite competetive with each other - we have so many simlarities - same height weight etc - it was because of her that I lowered my goal from 170 to 160 and then strove for 145..

I totally agree - we have to find out what works for each of us. Karri & I have always said - it's a little easier for us since we don't have familys to cook for - Ya I have my GS but he's easy and I don't like hamburger helper - heck prior to the band I normally did cook 2 meals - cuz GS is boring with food..

So ladies, tell me it gets easier. I hope that this all gets easier when I get a fill. Right now this seems an impossible journey. I know you all did it, but tell me you all whined a little. Right now I feel like I am a huge baby. I hate whining, but everything seems to be so hard. I do remind myself that I paid $7000 for this privilege to feel this way. Head hungry, well, it has always been my head that causes me problems. I probably wouldn't have passed the psych eval. Okay I am at an all time low. I will go drink some Water. I have had only 32 oz of water today....

Karla - When you have a few go back and read page 203 forward cuz I don't really don't remember if I cried the blues - you will read alot of post from pple who no longer post - of the original #7 it's me phyl candice and car pops in every now and the - oh ya marcy poped in the other day..

As to getting easier - I don't think it's that hard - but again I am 21 months out - it's my new way of life - I still have to be very careful when it comes to sweets - cuz those are the calories (and fats) that add up really quickly..

But I just don't buy them - I stay on top of this (food) I eat - I enjoy treats - but I don't keep dangerous foods in the house

Last night I had my jewelry partry - had chips dips salami cheese crarkers shrimp & cocktail sauce and Cookies - I had one pina colada a few shrimp and a few chips & dip. But then after everyone left - there was tons of food left - I threw the crap away - better in thee (trash) than in me -

but made the mistake of not throwing the cookies away - I had about 10 (they were tiny and calorie wise I was ok cuz I hadn't eaten all day) - but this morning - I got up and took all of them and threw them in the trash...

2 leads to 2 more then 2 more - well you know how that goes - so for me if it's not here I can't eat it - I only have food in my house that I can control..

Karri - I think if we get too comfortable at where we are at - that's what leads us back to eating the wrong things - thinking it's ok - I guess for me that's what has kept me on the straight and narrow for so long... I have lost the weight before (well not this much) and kept if off for a couple of year and then it came back plus some.. But that's cuz I would start eating again (sleeve of ritz crackers - saying I would have 4 - then before you knew it they were gone)

I love the cheese in the can that you squrit with salami & trisicut - I miss it some time - see I ate very high fat..

I am so afariad of falling of the wagon - that it keeps me making the right food choices for the most part 98% of the time...

Hi ladies,

so I got 1150 cals, 66g Protein, 82 oz water.

Good Man !!!! Good calories and water - I need a ticket for yesterday - my water wasn't good - today it's 48 so far so I will get the rest in before bed

Jazz church sound like a fun time ...

Here is a picture of my grand daughter. She was born on 2/5/09.

Whats here name - she's beautiful...

Karla, Karri; Well said Karri!!!! You are right on. No sugar coating it. (Pardon the PUN)

If you read all the posts from everyone on here you will find honesty, love & direction. We dont all take the same journey to get where we're going. Some of us learn early, some of us learn LATE.

However, some of us are more pig-headed than others (ME!) and tend to try and do things "my own way" ... it only ever works for me if I stick to the straight and narrow...

I am the type that MUST be accountable, either to myself or others... Mostly OTHERS works best for me... I get my Strength and determination from all of the rest of you...

As if left to my own devices I fluctuate and stumble...

Today, and only for today I have a plan - and its working for me...

Will my plan work for me tomorrow? I won't know until tomorrow... in that moment.

Here are my today totals...

CALORIESCARBSFATPROTEINnt3_totals2.jpg1,126-137-28-51

One day at a time :0)

Today was a good day, calories are well within range, and I did 2 hours of heavy yard work. The sun is like a drug for me. I would have done more but 'incisions were starting hurt, so I figured I better quit. Made some sugar free Jello for this week and I am learning to eat oatmeal which I add protein powder, skim milk, and sugar free maple Syrup (Steph thanks for syrup idea). I ate a little to much for lunch (3pm) but calories were with in range. My weakness is my coffee, Internation coffee: Cafe vienna. I have 2 cups a day at 140 cals, I need to cut it down to one. I can live with one and figure something out for the other.

How do you all do the no water during a meal? I get so thirsty, so doctor recommendations is to suck on ice cubes? I understand the no water during/after a meal after a fill. Gosh, maybe I am just trying to find ways around things. I am sorry that I am such high maintenance.

I have coffee every day - strong coffee sf hazelnut Creamer and splenda - don't they make the sf international coffees.

as to drinking with meals - I think that's the hardest - I don't think I drank with meal - but would after - that takes a while

My instructions were 30 minutes - there are times that I am dying of thrist after a meal and I will take a tiny sip or 2 - but gotta say for the most part - it's become a habit - and it saves $$ when you are out eating - I never order ice tea with my meals or soda

You aren't high maintanance - you are newly banded - we all a have been at this for almost 2 yrs now -

Well it's almost 9 - I gotta get ready for tomorrow -

Talk to you all then

THIS does get easier. I just refused to let myself do it. however I have gotten lazier with this lately and would drink to soon. It really does make a difference. Thing is though...if you start practicing NOW before the fill, then you just get into the habit sooner. My trick for this is that if I get thirsty I pop in a piece of SF gum. This will usually do the trick. How long do you have to wait? I am supposed to wait an hour, but I usually am okay if I wait 45 minutes.

As for the coffee, can you just do regular coffee and then add a SF flavoring to it? Then you can have all you want. If you want a little bit of creaminess you could add a small amount of FF milk. I am not good on the coffee front beacuse I don't drink it. However I love hot chocolate, but I now order it as a SF hot chocolate with SF caramel made with water instead of milk. I have had issues with milk since surgery. I am better now, but I can't stand the taste of hot chocolate made with milk. Too heavy.

It is okay to be high maintanance. It is good for some of us to be reminded of the rules!

Today was a good day, calories are well within range, and I did 2 hours of heavy yard work. The sun is like a drug for me. I would have done more but 'incisions were starting hurt, so I figured I better quit. Made some sugar free Jello for this week and I am learning to eat oatmeal which I add Protein powder, skim milk, and sugar free maple Syrup (Steph thanks for syrup idea). I ate a little to much for lunch (3pm) but calories were with in range. My weakness is my coffee, Internation coffee: Cafe vienna. I have 2 cups a day at 140 cals, I need to cut it down to one. I can live with one and figure something out for the other.

I have a suggestion for getting ride of those 140 cals. Go to a store where they sell GOURMET coffee, ya know the flavored stuff. Buy the Beans and grind them at home to get that wonderful aroma.. Get a Bodem coffee maker thing... It will make ONE cup at a time for you if nobody else is drinking the coffee.

Then use your artificial sweetner to taste..ie. Aspertame, Splenda, Saccarin, Stevia Powder (herbal sweetner) etc... and then add Skim milk to taste.. Now if you really like Coffee Whitner stuff in your coffee, I suggest you make your own Skim Milk but double the amount of milk powder they suggest and you'll get a really THICK, Creamy substitute that is actually Fat Free, Sugar Free and inexpensive...

NOw as far as the water with a meal... oh yea that is hard to get used to... but ya know... I don't even miss it anymore. Stephanie drinks a big glass of water PRIOR to her meal... then she is all hydrated before she starts to eat. At first I set a timer on the stove after super... so that after 45 minutes I could have my cup of tea...

THen I drink tea all thru the evening while I quilt.

p.s. you are not high maintenance, you are a newbie and newbies have lots of questions while they are learning... don't feel bad about that... that's why we all stickaround here...