Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Oh! Almost forgot. Even though I'm cruising in May I would still be interested in another one with you guys. I'm with Frustrated about you guys. You "get it" more than anybody else.

Okay, I think I may have slimed last night. Is this what it's like? TMI follows: I was eating a porkchop, only 3 ounces of meat and it was tender. I cut it up into small bites and believe I was chewing enough, etc. etc. But, I had a cat practically sitting in my plate begging, so I think I was eating too quickly. Well all of sudden I felt the tightness in the chest, but that usually passes, so I didn't worry. But, then I decided to walk around and sip some Water. Next thing I know, I'm hanging over the kitchen sink, trying not to retch, but then I start gagging and there's all of this saliva coming out practically in bubbles. Nothing disgusting, just clear liquid. And lots of big bubbles. Then after about the fourth time, there were tiny bits of meat, but still not like getting sick, just slimy saliva. It was wierd. Took about ten to fifteen minutes, before the discomfort passed. What do you think?

Hello everyone! I need some guidance. I had my first fill last Wednesday and I have had some challenges since keeping food down. It isn't any one kind of food, just about anything I put in my stomach has difficulty staying there or feeling "normal." I can do Protein Drinks no problem but even cottage cheese made me nauseous this am. I went out to dinner and was able to eat chicken but shrimp didn't go so well. I threw up in the bathroom. I have thrown up the past 2 days a portion of my meal. Is this normal getting adjusted to the band with it being filled? I really need some input...please.

I am losing weight but I want to be healthy....

Hello everyone! I need some guidance. I had my first fill last Wednesday and I have had some challenges since keeping food down. It isn't any one kind of food, just about anything I put in my stomach has difficulty staying there or feeling "normal." I can do Protein drinks no problem but even cottage cheese made me nauseous this am. I went out to dinner and was able to eat chicken but shrimp didn't go so well. I threw up in the bathroom. I have thrown up the past 2 days a portion of my meal. Is this normal getting adjusted to the band with it being filled? I really need some input...please.

I am losing weight but I want to be healthy....

If you are throwing up after a fill, I would contact my doctor. I know with my doctor the first three days (1st day is day of fill) he has you on liquids. Days 1 and 2 are clear 3 is full liquids. Day 4 mushies and days 5-10 are food with no pork, red meat, bread, rice, salad and fibrous vegetables. Shrimp is mentioned that people with bands may have problems with for the rest of their life. It is chewy. I have not even tried this food. My doctor has a poster in his office and it says if you are having problems with keeping food down or Water not staying down or problems when you lie flat that this is not normal and indicates a problem. I would have it checked out. Good luck and I hope you start feeling better. If you are throwing up that could cause problems down the road with your surgery.

Kathy--You live in London Ontario? How cool is that! My son's g/f is from London--at least she grew up there and still has family there.

Thanks for sharing the nutrition tips. I don't have any nutrition counseling so I really appreciate the tips I am learning on this forum.

Too cool. See it is a small world!!!

Wow, what a great difference a fill makes. I did extremely well today. I planned everything, and ate 3 mealts and 3 Snacks, drank 8 glasses of Water (not with my meal), and exercised. I ate about 1 cup per meal and felt nice and satisfied. No problems getting anything down yet. YEAH... it's going to work!!!

Night all.

Brandy, You slimed. I agree, it isn't really what I expected either. A bunch of us say they threw up. I didn't really, just the bubbling, thick, slimy stuff. If I get the stuck stuff to come up, it stops right away. CC

DH and I celebrated our 10th anniversary the other day. It was pretty low-key, as usual, and we had decided that we'd go out to dinner last night (Fri.) to Celebrate. After a day of Andrew not being home and being out doing things with other people, even saying he was at work for a while...I was a little ticked off, but happy to be going to dinner. Then he comes home from getting the babysitter and tells me my car is making funky noises and we need to borrow our neighbor's truck. I was upset at his non-chalance about our only vehicle making funky noises than I was about using Matt's truck! But Andrew blew me off and off we went. Well, I knew something was up when he turned left instead of right and we headed out of town. I kept thinking that maybe we were going to someone's house for dinner (because he'd been complaining about being hungry for a while.). Then we turned onto a dirt road that leads to nowhere and I was a little confused...there aren't any friends or restaraunts out there...

So we pull up to a cabin out in the middle of nowhere and he surprises me with a WHOLE NIGHT alone with him. He cooked steaks on the grill, borrowed table linens and candles and set the table all romantic, he even created a romantic playlist for the iPod! Then after dinner he came and sat next to me and surprised me (once again) with a new diamond for my wedding ring. It's not just a new diamond, but a HUGE diamond! He DOUBLED the size! I can totall poke an eye out now! After that we went out and sat in the hot tub for a couple of hours (took a while to get it good and hot) and the weather was just great...stars were out and everything.

Torrential rains started after we went to bed and it was gloomy when we woke, but we had some hot chocolate and Andrew made omlets. It was really nice. Apprently, he also arranged for a helicopter ride, but since the weather was bad we have to wait for another day....too bad. Andrew thinks it all just went perfect. I know that MANY folks were involved in the planning of this (the ring took over 2 years to save for!) and I am VERY appreciative!

When we got home we spent about 5 hrs butchering some moose we got from a friend. All this free meat, I don't know what to do with myself! I'm planning on just grinding it all so I'll be able to eat it (moose meat is known to be dry and chewy). It's been a LONG day!

Marcyinak!!!! What a great husband!! How amazingly sweet, even the rain sounds romantic when it involves a cabin in the woods and sleeping in!

Maybe skip the photos of the moose butchering!! Or warn first! My boys all love to hunt but I have never had anyone bring home a moose! And my grandfather was a big game hunter. Bears, mountain lions, etc, but not mooses, is it mooses? or just moose? I like Alaskans - you are a riot!! Enjoy the well ground moose! And you wonderful husband!! CC

Marcy--What a wonderful night for you. Your husband sounds like a real romantic.....How sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!---Hey- I want to see the moose butchering. I loved the chicken pictures!!!!!!!!!!!

I added a new avatar picture....this picture of me is 3 years ago exactly. I had just lost 80lbs!!! Of course----I gained that all back ..............it is so sad all of the yo-yo-ing that I have done. I have lost and regained so many time. I am looking forward never regaining this weight again. I thought it would inspire me to keep looking toward the goal every time I post.

What is motivating everyone to lose weight?

:cry My motivation comes from an unexpected source. Unexpected for me at least. It's from this forum and all of you. Each time I've battled with my weight, I've battled alone. My husband has always been very, VERY supportive and I couldn't ask any more of him. But everyone here knows exactly how I feel. That no matter how hard I've tried at losing weight, nothing has worked. You all understand my frustrations from experience. You all know that sometimes there's no logical reason for me to be hungry or to want an extra slice of pie, but I do. You understand how in the past how good it felt to eat and how awful it felt once I was done stuffing my face.

I can come here 24/7. I don't have to wait for an office to open or for a returned phone call. I come here and everything is there in black and white to encourage me forward. I get all of this for free. I'm not going to get lectured. You're not going to shake your heads with disappointment. You're not going to tell me to suck it up and try harder. The harshest (if you can call it that) thing anyone ever says here is "hang in there!"

I don't know any of you personally, but I know you share all my griefs, frustrations, confusions and sorrows. And you do it willingly. And just as importantly, you share my victories and allow me to share in all of yours. I never feel like there's a contest and that I should be doing better because someone else has the pounds dropping off them faster than me. If I felt like that, I think it'd all turn against me and I'd fail. Again. This is the first time ever where I can see a long term (lifetime) goal which is one of success. And it's all thanks to all of you. :humble:

Frustrated- you said it beautifully. You are an inspiration to all of us as well. We all need each other here and depend on one another. I hate when I can not get here daily but as soon as I can I set and read everyone's post because I ower that to them. You all listen and comment on things that I have to say or am feeling so I owe that to all of you as well. Thank you so much for the beautiful post you made!!! :o

Marcy- what a romantic hubby!!! I am so jealous, that's so thoughtful. Jeff and I are planning a cruise to Alaska for our tenth anniversary in 2009, I hope it will be as romantic/intimate as yours!

Marcy- oo la la what a romantic hubby!! I would kill for mine to do something like that. Dont get me wrong he is the most loving,adoring DH but he wants me to 'tell him' what I want. He would never surprise me by just doing it. Gosh for Christmas and my birthday he goes to my duaghter who is 16 and asks her what she thinks mom would like. LOL

My Motivation..........easy......my kids. My kids lost their dad 4 years ago to diabetis at the age of 35. He had had it since he was a juvenile and about 2 years before he passed it had really spun out of control. He had had several debrieing (sp?) surgeries on foot ulcers, lost 2 toes, then had a below the knee ambutation and suffered a small stroke. Then he because very sick from absesses on the spleen that mayo told us was not uncommon among diabtics who used needles on a regular basis for injeting insulin. Anyway he passed away.

At one point before he had gotten sick I had weighed 226 pounds. I had gone on a diet and exercised, ate healthy and etc and got down to 155pounds. I felt great. When he got sick I started to take less and less care of myself and let myself go. When he passed I was back at 189. Afterwards I was in a major depression and so worried about the kids that I let myself go to the point of 275 pounds 4 years later. One day my kids and I were going to town and my daughter started to talk about her wedding day, graduation, having babies and etc. My son chimed in and was talking about the same. I then thought to myself 'I am in no way healthy. My weight and family history could kill me at anytime.' I then decided I really wanted to do weight loss surgery but the by pass scared the hell out of me. I had heard of the lap band but didn't know much about it. So I started to research it very vigorously. Went to a seminar in April and talked with my family doc in april and confirmed that my insurance would pay if I met criteria. May 2, we went to my daughters best friends 16th birthday party (she is 4 months older than my daughter). They had a DJ and the first song was dedicated to the birthday girl and her dad. Courtney (my daughter) turned and said I will never have that. I won't even have that at my wedding. I cried. I told her you won't have you dad honey but you will have me. THat is the day that I knew for definate no matter what I would have this surgery. I didn't care how it had to be paid for I was going to be here for those kids. That is my motivation. They are getting older and graduations are getting closer and by the time she graduates I am going to be at a healthy weight and be here for many years with them.

She also suffers from weight issues but since the surgery I cook only healthy foods in the house. She has talked to our family doctor about the band and he is doing the monthly weigh ins with her now so that if that is what she decides when she is 18 she will have all needed documentation to do so. We are staying ahead of things. Like I told her if she loses it on her own over the next 2 years that is great but if not the decision will be hers when she is 18 and she will have everything she needs to be able to do it.

Sorry for such a long post. I get so winded when I talk about these things.