Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Hi everyone! I'm absolutely thrilled! I lost a pound and a half yesterday, so I'm at 178.5!!!!! I'm so happy!

Also, since my surgeon doesn't have any of the cards, I called my contact at the bariatric center. She said she had a few and would get them laminated and send them to me so I could keep them in different purses, etc. How nice is that?!!!

Congratulations to everyone on their success and their exercise programs. I'm impressed!

Brandy, congrats on your wt loss! Every bit counts! And that is so nice of your bariatric center. It's nice to hear about doc offices and centers that do care about their patients. We certainly hear about the not-so-good ones all the time.

Sometimes, people will find that their bodies actually need more calories than they're taking in. If you don't eat enough calories, your body will think it's starving, so it tries to conserve them. If that happens, say goodbye to weightloss! What a lot of people recommend is to vary your calorie intake a little. Eat 900 calories for a few days, then maybe 1200 for a few days, then 900 again, just so that your body doesn't get used to one routine.

Laurend, this is an excellent point/idea. I think it's what I've been doing w/o realizing it. I just figure if I eat a little more than usual on one day, then the next day, I make sure I take in less. I'm gonna experiment and see if it makes a difference for me.

``````````

Good Day to all,

I have to say, I am in a funk. I feel like the past week has been a whirl-wind with the kids going back to school. I expected it to be easier, but it has been hectic. I not in a funk about the band, just how crazy life is. I would love to just pack my kids up and move to a very small town (Norman Rockwell like)----OK- time to wake up now.

I can totally relate :wacko:. I have spent the last 2 summers in NH with my kids (hubby comes on the weekends). We stay at this great campground. No TV, internet is not easily accessible. No mail to deal with, no bills to pay, no running around taxi'ing the kids around. My living space is 29 feet long and I actually love it. When I get home at the end of the summer I get depressed because I have so much to do and deal with. I mean I am thankful for all my blessings but sometimes life gets overwhelming. You know?

Breadlady- welcome back.....I am curious about "Breadlady"- what does it mean? I give you alot of credit for homeschooling your children. What are thier ages? I could never do that- I just dont have patients.

Thanks for the welcome back! The "BreadLady" name comes from the fact that I love to make fresh bread (all baked goods for that matter). Now when I say "fresh" I mean...get ready for this...you are going to think I am whacked...I make my flour for the bread fresh from whole grain. I have a grain mill. The bread is amazing. The kids (mine and my best friend's) will eat 2 loaves right when it comes out of the oven. You would think I was giving them candy! And when I make muffins they don't last the day. Everything is whole wheat so the kids are getting plenty of whole grains which is awesome.

I have a friend who has milled her own flour for years and I thought she was crazy :) but then I tried it and it is awesome.

As far as the homeschooling...it's not something I ever planned on doing but God just worked it out that way after my son was in school a few years. I felt like it was what I needed to do. I can't even believe it but this is the beginning of year 5 of homeschooling for us. My son is 11 and my daughter is 9. I pulled my son out of school October of 2nd grade and let my daughter finish Kindergarten then homeschooled her as well the next year. I am thankful for all the extra time I have had with them. They are growing up so fast. I know I am going to blink and they will be grown and gone :cry

Sorry for being so long winded. Thanks for your patience.

What amazing people we have sharing this journey with us. I thank God for that He gave me this opportunity to meet each one of you.

It seems that my first fill is not as successful as it felt in the beginning. I get my next one on Monday. I've gained 5 MORE pounds since my first fill a month ago. I eat and never feel full. If I could diet, well, I would have done that without the band. I'm really, REALLY counting on the band to help me control my portion sizes. Not so far!

I'm looking forward to my next fill, and hoping that I'll lose these gained pounds. I want to be on track and lose about 40 lbs by Christmas. Is that realistic?

Thanks y'all.

Holly, sorry you're having such a difficult time with your band. Have you been keeping a food journal with portions and times? This might help you identify any eating issues or triggers. Good luck on your second fill.

Ok, how easy was that!!! I had my first fill and didn't even feel the needle. Seriously, no prick or anything. I did feel my band tighten a bit, which was really weird.

She found my port with no problem, I didn't even have to lift my legs or anything. She said it was in an excellent position for her to fill.

I met with the dietician first and then the Fill Nurse. I know everyone else has heard from their doctors on nutrition and eating tips, but I have really enjoyed hearing the different ideas, so will share what I learned today that I haven't seen on the thread.

First Bite Syndrome: Sometimes when you start with Protein and eat your first bite, swallow and then go to the second bite and swallow, by the time you're on your third bite, the first one might be getting stuck, which means you have to PB all of it. Although they recommend to "eat your Protein first" they mean you should "finish" your protein first. You should try moister foods for your first bites and mix up your bites at first to make sure all the dryer protein isn't stuck all together.

Overfilling: If you fill beyond the sweet spot thinking that more restriction will equal faster weight loss, they strongly suggest otherwise. If only liquid is getting through, then you generally consume Protein drinks which are high calorie, juice, etc and liquid doesn't keep you full, so you tend to drink more and more, which can then cause you to gain. Alternatively, if you really can't eat solid food and you cut back on your calories, you go into starvation mode which will stall your weight loss. Their guideline is if you CAN eat white bread or fiberous veggies easily (not chewing excessivly to make it pass, but just eating it normally), then you probably need a fill.

Quantity: General guideline is 3/4 to 1 cup of solid food per meal. This will vary by the type of food, but is a guideline. Their rule is to finish eating by 15 - 20 minutes of starting. If you still eat beyond this time, you are just refilling your pouch. By 15 min. the first food you ate is now passing through the band, so anything after that time is now refilling the band. Walk away!!!

Do not eat close to bed time because it can cause reflux.

Give yourself permission for a special treat once a week. Sort of like "date night", plan a cheat once a week. This will allow you to have the treat without derailing your diet psychologically. Trust that the band will help you restrict the size of your treat. I like this suggestion!!

Those were the best tips that I got out of my appt.

BTW, as I expected, I have not lost any weight since surgery (didn't gain any either!!).

After my fill, I had to drive back to London from Toronto (2-1/2 hours), so I stopped on the way at Tim Hortons and got some Soup. I ate about 1/2cup and it filled me right up. When I got home, I ate the rest. I can really feel the restriction :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Kathy- congrats on the hubby getting full time!! Will that affect the trip you two are taking to Palm Springs?

Jackie, no, we will still get to go on our trip to Palm Springs!!! I can't wait. My DH found out today that the position won't start until Oct. 26th, and our trip is in early Oct.

Phyl - I agree its time to go off on them. I am always too patient and put up with bad service too long and hold it in then if it gets bad enough I blow up. This has only happened 8 or 10 times in my life but it is not pretty when it does happen. I would let them have it. What about going to another doctor? My dw was having pizza as I was reading your post regarding pizza. I am soooo hungry.

Laurend - I am going to try alternating my calorie intake weekly at least until my fill. I have no problem increasing it, I don't know about reducing it.

Chim - Yes we are going to make it. On a positive note - NSV - I donated 3 large garbage bags of clothes to Goodwill las week. I hope I don't need them again before I get my fill.

Indiogirl - Thanks for the info re: onederland. It will be a while for me, is there a twoderland ?:wacko:

What is motivating me to lose weight?

Two Things:

1. Health. I have a serious back problem and could loose control of my bowls, bladder or leg(s) at any time. I was told that two years ago after an MRI. I was sent to a surgeon who said I was too fat to have back surgery and that if I lost use of my bladder, bowls or leg(s) to go directly to the emergency room. Also he said if I lost weight I could come back an he would operate. Nuts to him. I am going to loose weight and hopefully after losing half of my body mass my back issues will be manageable without back surgery. Thats my plan.

2. Not to sound corny, but I would like to be a better husband and father. My dw has said I have already stooped snoring! Its a start.

:update:

First, thank you all for your concern, for sharing my frustration and anger over the postponement of my fill appointment. You are all such great Band Buddies! I appreciate each and every one of you!!

I called this morning to speak with the person who schedules the fills. She was very sympathetic with my plight and when I reminded her that my surgery date was July 20th she said, "I know! I talked to the doctor about that." She went on to tell me that the first opening was Oct. 8th if I couldn't make the 9/24 appt. I guess at that point I lost it and started crying! I don't control my emotions very well and this is a very emotional issue, as you all know! She was feeling my pain and said she'd try again to see if she could get me in sooner and would call me back. Well, she did call me back, like in 10 minutes or less, and said she persuaded them to fit me in on Monday afternoon!! I think I will have to take her something Monday to show my appreciation.. a rose, or something! I am so grateful!!

Breadlady, we are SO GLAD to have you back!

Ruby, your thoughts were very sweet and I know touched all of us. I agree whole heartedly! Being on the west coast, I very often get "lonely" late at night when most of you have already gone to bed! My last resort is always the Chat Room!

My motivating factors... I think I got to a point of desparation. I was so tired of being so fat! When we started going to RV parks for the winter I saw so many folks 10-20-even 30 years older than me who were in much better shape and I realized how badly I wanted to be more active, and how much I want to enjoy as many more retirement years as I possibly can!

Phyl - So glad you got your fill date moved up. Good luck with it.

Thanks, Chris. So I AM going to beat you, but not by too many days!

Kathy- congrats on your dh's job and your fill. Amazing what a difference it makes, uh?

Chris- onederland means you are under 200 lbs, in the 100 lbs range.

Motivation- I went to Brazil this summer and my luggage got delayed getting there several days. I couldn't buy any clothes because they don;t make any my-former- size 20/22. The biggest they had anywhere was a 14/16. So I had to wear the same thing until my luggage arrived, and listen to my mom nagging me about it. I decided I want to be able to buy clothes anywhere, anytime.

Also, we're planning a trip to Disney with our nieces this Nov. and the tought of going there having to carry so much fat around was overwhelming. I kew I wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much being so fat.

Last but not least, I just want to be healthier and live a long, happy life.

Hi folks! Sounds like everyone is doing so well!

Phyl, Glad you got them to work you in.

Kathy, Congratulations on your fill!

Ruby, what a lovely post!

I really enjoy checking in each day and seeing how everyone is doing. I didn't tell anyone here about my surgery, so you're my sounding board and the ones I confide in too! Sure glad I found y'all!

Have a good night!