Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help from Diabetics post surgery

So type 2 diabetes here, my numbers were under control before surgery with Janumet. Post surgery, no more meds, and the first few weeks my numbers were good, even saw some ranging around 90. I have found when I get mentally stressed out my numbers will go up, not outrageous but higher, 125 to 140, morning numbers.

Now I am not stressing mentally about anything really at this point, but my numbers are still high, seen 125 to 150 this week. Could some of this be the physical stress of the surgery and changes, cranky about my diet, 9 more days on pureed.< /p>

What numbers are other folks seeing post op?

I was diagnosed with diabetes in March 2014, so really don't understand the numbers except when I am anxiety ridden, they go up.

I am afraid I will still need diabetes meds:( :( :(

Generally, blood sugar readings will vary throughout the day. I take mine first thing in the morning before I eat anything. These are called fasting readings. After surgery, I stopped taking my readings daily and only took them periodically. Two months after surgery, reading was 91. Seven months after surgery, reading was 83. The next day it was 74. Eleven months after surgery it was 77. Two weeks later it was 93. At 12 months it was 79. The readings I took between 12 months and 16 months after surgery were 81, 84, 103, 76, 84, and 74.

It may be too soon to determine if you need to go back on meds. I would say keep monitoring daily and let the doctor make the final determination. If you eat or drink anything before you take your readings they can elevate your readings significantly. That is why they are called fasting readings. I believe stress and sickness can elevate your readings. Also make sure that you stay away from processed sugars. Artificial sweeteners and natural sweeteners (such as Stevia) are O.K., so are natural sugars found in fruits and milk but stay away from processed sugars and products that use corn Syrup.< /p>

My PCP says no needs for meds unless my readings stay consistently above 150. I am 8 months post-op and as I continue to lose my readings continue to drop. Give it time and you will be fine.

My numbers were staying in 135 to 140 range but my A1 C went down to normal so no more meds for me for now. I would worry about the A1C more then they daily numbers. After your surgery your body has so much change going on. Stay in touch with your doctor let them know your numbers. You have much more to worry about right now. Staying healthy and getting the right Protein and Water in. Keep up the good work!

I am concerned as well. I had my surgery on the 10th and my sugars were great in the hospital -90's the whole time. The Doc took me off all 4 of my diabetes meds. Now that I am home 130-140's. I am sure this is normal - but I am going to chat with Doc about it on Thursday.

I'm so glad I found this topic. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year when I was in ketoacidosis. Been on 5 shots a day since then plus 2000 MG of metformin. My dr recommended the gastric bypass surgery which I am having Dec 17th. my A1C was 8.6 last month. The surgeon said most diabetic patients are able to stop taking meds after the surgery. I'm wondering if it's because of the new diet or is it a change in stomach. How soon after surgery were you able to stop taking shots?

I'm so glad I found this topic. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year when I was in ketoacidosis. Been on 5 shots a day since then plus 2000 MG of metformin. My dr recommended the gastric bypass surgery which I am having Dec 17th. my A1C was 8.6 last month. The surgeon said most diabetic patients are able to stop taking meds after the surgery. I'm wondering if it's because of the new diet or is it a change in stomach. How soon after surgery were you able to stop taking shots?

I was on two types of medicine to control my type 2 diabetes for several years before my surgery. Although my A1C was still high and getting higher, my personal care physician recommended that I start taking insulin. But I refused. I was in the hospital for 2 days after my gastric bypass RNY surgery. When I left the hospital, I was off all my blood sugar meds and haven't taken any since. I periodically check my blood sugar and the numbers remain good. I am 18 months post-op from my surgery.

Because you are currently taking 5 shots per day now, the surgery might not send you into complete remission but I believe your dosage will be dramatically reduced.

I believe the reason why this diabetes remission occurs is primarily due to the post-op diet.

I am an insulin dependent diabetic. Had RNY 4 days ago. Blood sugars are ranging from 250 to 78. Still having to take some insulin, but much less than previously. Any other insulin dependent diabetics have similar/different experiences???

I am an insulin dependent diabetic. Had RNY 4 days ago. Blood sugars are ranging from 250 to 78. Still having to take some insulin, but much less than previously. Any other insulin dependent diabetics have similar/different experiences???

Hi I'm Type 1 Diabetic on An Insulin pump, having gastric bypass 12 Jan, how is it all effecting your blood sugar levels?

Hey same here i had a DKA and was insulin dependent but i stopped insulin in the pre op stage dr. Advised me not to take insulin if my numbers were under 6 which they were and have been since the pre op diet. So yay no more insulin no more metphormen etc. Onlyy issue I've had was about 1st week post op my number were always 4.0 4.2 4.1 which i than was advised to drink some juice with a little Water so i didn't get a low blood sugar. Im 2 weeks post op and doing great with my non diabetes

I think you should follow James advice, sounds like has the most info on this. I was type 2 for almost 7 years. I only had to take avandia until they took it off the market. Then doctor didn't give me any more meds. Around 2 years ago a1c out of control. Started feeling a little tingling in my feet. Was one of many reasons I choose surgery. No diabetes anymore. But now have hypoglycemia. But I think I will try to do what James advised too. Happy holidays to you.