Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So just prior to the surgery, I was super excited. People who I told were, like "Are you nervous?" and I wasn't. But after a while, everyone being nervous for me, was making me start to questions whether I should, in fact, be nervous. I finally decided no, I had done my research, found a great surgeon, and a fantastic hospital. He's record is amazing, with no deaths, and half the complications of average.

At the hospital, it went relatively smoothly. All the nurses and physicians assistants would ask me what I was getting, my name, and my birthday. The hardest part for me was getting the IV put in. My veins tend to be small and deep, so they tried on my right hand, no dice, my left hand looked like it was working, but then I got a small bubble of saline, so they went back to the right at the wrist. Again, couldn't get it. No surgery without an IV, so I suggested my ankle. She was nervous to go there, because it rolls. At that point, the bubble in my left hand had subsided, and it looked like a vein had moved up on my left wrist. Finally, the IV was in. The nurse was very kind an patient for the while process, numbing my skin whenever she tried a spot, so it was only mildly uncomfortable, not super painful.

After that, I walked to the surgery room, where I got to say hi to some of the people who would be assisting. They were really nice. I laid on the bench, and they helped position my arms. After a bit of adjusting, I was out. The next thing I new, I was in the recovery room. I fluttered my eyes, and the nurse saw that I was waking up. My back hurt, so I asked if I could roll to my side. She said that was fine, and helped me. She also asked if I needed more blankets, and I said no, I was hot. And thirsty, like - wow thirsty. They said I could get some Water when I got to my room, which was soon, they were just cleaning it up. So I kind of rested, and eventually woke up in the room, where they gave me a few sips of water, which tasted like the best water ever.

My husband was there to give me a hug, and my friend. I was on morphine, and could give myself a small dose as needed every 8 minutes. It was nice and low-level, so I didn't feel any pain, just some mild soreness. They brought me a tray, and I was able to sip on some green-tea, and some broth. They saved the Protein Shake for later.

A little while later, I felt like I could stand up, so they helped unhook me, and we walked around the hallways for a bit. Whenever I had to pee, they had a little hat in the toilet to collect it, so they could see how much I was peeing.

I did pretty well, that night, periodically walking, and sipping the Protein shakes. They nurses would come in for blood-pressure checks, and a couple of blood samples.< /p>

My surgeon was a little disappointed at the size of my liver, he felt ti was too big, so my pre-op diet should have probably started a couple of weeks before.I had gained some weight before the surgery, my first weigh in was 263, I topped out at 270, and by that morning, I was 265.

He was also concerned about my Synthroid dose, because my TSH is undetectable. But my endocrinologist has said before that the goal was to suppress the thyroid all together, because that stops the Hashimoto's symptoms. So as long as the T4 and T3 are in range, I should be good. I'll bring up my surgeon's concerns with him at the next appointment. I'll probably need lower and lower doses as I drop the weight anyway.

Se I was discharged yesterday, felt pretty good for the ride home. We stopped at the Walgreens, and my husband went in to get the pain medication for me. The pharmacist wanted to call the doctor to confirm, but of course the number on the script was for the home office, so no one answered at 6pm on a Friday. My poor husband was like, what do I do? And the pharmacist was very rude, and was like, "You figure it out". So I ended up having to get up from the car, and bring all my paperwork in. Once he saw me, with all the paperwork, and the discharge papers, he went ahead and filled the prescription. I guess he thought my husband was a drug-seeker or something.

So now I'm at home. I've taken some pain meds for today. It's not quite as nice as it was at the hospital with the IV drop, and metered morphine. My stomach area feels loose and stretchy. I keep imagining that wrapping it with a corset might help. My back also still hurts, but my husband is so sweet, and he's been carefully massaging it for me. It's a little hard to get up and down from my sofa and bed. If I wan tto be on my side, it's more of a 45 degree angle, with a pillow under my back.

Anyway, I can still walk, go to the BR by myself, and I'm planning on taking a shower later today. Sipping lots of water. I'm also going to do one of the Protein Shakes they gave me. All in all, it's not too terrible of pain, and I believe this is going to be worth it in the long run.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your experience. I am sure you were on here before your surgery also, and know how much we new guys appreciate reading detailed information about the experiences of you that have already had their surgery. Fear of the unknown is not a fun thing. Keep posting when you can.

Congratulations on your surgery and thank you for sharing your experience.

Im glad you surgery went so well. Whats odd is how every dr and hosipital is different. I was not allowed any Water or tea or even ice chips after my surgery for 24 hrs. I was so thirsty they actaully watched me drink some Water and spit it out. You are so lucky to beable to do that right away I was misrable

Another note, my back had been hurting and the muscles were tight and knotted. Yesterday I had my husband massage it gently, then today I sat up in a desk hair with a heating pad on a low setting on my lower back. That helped a lot,

There's not too much actual stomach pain, it just feels like a did a ton of crunches. It might be worth building up your core muscles before the surgery.

Congratulations! I am glad everything went well and you are home. Thank you for posting such a detailed account. I am scheduled for early Tuesday morning and your account has helped ease my mind. Everyone keeps asking if I am worried too and I am not. Like you I am comfortable with my research and the surgeon I chose. I was beginning to think something was wrong with me. ;) I don't look forward to surgery and recovery but I do look forward to continuing this journey. Please keep us updated with your progress and I can't wait to read about your journey.

Thank you so much for sharing this! It's really awesome for us pre-sleevies to hear these kinds of stories. :)

Congrats on your surgery!! Thanks for sharing your experience. You will start feeling much better from your back in a few weeks. I had the same problem and no pain from surgery, best of luck!!