Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thoughts on sugar free?

I've never liked sugar free anything! I've been adhering to my manual as given by my surgeon but I think the sugar free stuff tastes funny and makes me thirsty. Is there anyone who has not used any sugar free foods and sweeteners and had success?

I use sugar free products all the time. I guess I'm just used to it over the years. Now real sugar is super sweet and almost makes me choke. That said I know lots of folks just give up sweet foods all together so it's not impossible.

I don't like artificial sweetners. I think they are unhealthy. I had moved away from them prior to surgery. I had been making changes to have a whole foods lifestyle. But I'm only 7 days post op ... so I'm forcing down the artificial sweetners because the doctor said so. They didn't give me a sugar free popsicle in the hospital and I did not have a bad reaction. So I'm sure I can have stuff with sugar if I wanted.

Sugar will just slow down ur weightloss. The whole point that I was given is your 1st year is your golden year. U want to lose all u can. Cutting out sugars, starches and bread until u meet your goal weight is critical. Then u have to slowly re-introduce them making sure they don't cause weight gain. But as they say it's a life style change. I have easily given up all of the above but I'm just 2 weeks post op. Good Luck to you!

Also sugar produces a hunger hormone that is nearly eradicated during the sleeve procedure as it's produced in the part of ur stomach that is cut away. But the more sugar u eat it produces more? Something like that.

sugar free popsicles are amazing! I love them

sugar free jell-o hasn't been so bad either!

I hate artificial sweeteners but for the sake of my post-op diet, I added them in. Once I get a couple months out I plan on doing a juice cleanse. After that, no more artificial or processed anything!

I hate artificial sweeteners but for the sake of my post-op diet, I added them in. Once I get a couple months out I plan on doing a juice cleanse. After that, no more artificial or processed anything!

Will you keep me posted on your progrss? This is what I want to do too.

Trying my hardest to stay away from sugar free stuff and sugared stuff too, but if I had to choose between the two I choose sugar free. Trying to use more stevia products, less chemicals.

I have had some sugar.I use carantion instant as the base for my Protein Shake. I have not had any trouble with it. I add protien powder and half a bananna or penut butter. I drink one shake a day, takes me all day to get it down. so far I am loosing weight 1 month out abd lost 30 lbs.

I don't eschew sugar. I don't go out of my way to use splenda et al, either. I don't feel like they are any better for you than actual sugar. They still make you want sweet things. I'd rather have a small bite of something with sugar, than an entire sugar free item since sugar tastes better to me.. But that is just me. The thing now is moderation. Mentally I was too weak to moderate before. But now the sleeve forces me to moderate.

Artificial sweeteners really hurt my sleeve immediately postop. So did plain Water, so I drank regular sugar stuff for 3-4 months. 100% juice, regular Vitamin Water, Sobe, pedalyte, etc. but everything tasted too sweet to me anyways, so I cut all these things 1/2 and 1/2 with water. Since I didn't like sweet stuff I never bothered with SF Popsicles, Jello or pudding. In fact, I think I still have some boxes in my cupboard. Herbal teas actually became a big hit with me....no sweetness!! Unfortunately most Protein powders have artificial sweeteners, so I tried to find ones sweetened with stevia.

After 4 months the artificial sweeteners didn't hurt any more but I don't really like the taste. I add regular fruit juice, berries, fruit, milk, Torani syrups, etc to my Protein shakes to mask the flavor. Now I can drink plain water, but If I do drink sports or Vitamin drinks, they are not the zero calorie stuff. You can do most anything in moderation.

As for it affecting my weight loss, I hit goal (down 88 pounds) around 7 months and have maintained for 4 months so you tell me..... ☺️

I had to contact Kraft Foods about their manufacturing. They were very courteous. I explained that the Aspartame artificial sweetener they put in the sugar-free jellos, puddings and Kool-Aid are bad for my health and I had a major allergic reaction to the Aspartame. Oddly (even though it wasn't on the diet), I had experienced a reaction any time I had Juicy fruit Gum. Not only does the regular JF gum have sugar in it, it also has Aspartame. It was horrible--my mouth felt like it was on fire and I developed nasty looking tongue sores/patches. Once I quit the sugar-free jellos and sugar-free koolaid (including Crystal Light powders), the symptoms disappeared. Kraft sent me coupons for other products. I wasn't mad at Kraft as I've been eating Jello and stuff all my life and only had a reaction when I ate the sugar-free products.

They said they would pass my concern on to their manufacturing and research team about switching to a more consumer-healthy alternative for artificial sweeteners.

Now I am constantly on guard, looking at labels to avoid aspartame. Thankfully Yoplait Light Yogurt has several varieties with "No Aspartame" right on the front of the container.

The only sugar-free item I use is the Crystal Light drops for Water and that's sparingly, just a couple of times a week. I'd rather have sugar than the chemicals but I'm not drinking as much now since plain water doesn't go down as easily as the flavored. I used to guzzle plain water all the time so this is a sleeve/taste change.

It's been hit and miss for me with sugar free foods. I use sugar free flavorings for my Water sometimes, but about 1/10 of the normal amount. I also use sugar free Toriani syrups mixed with my Protein powder to enhance the flavoring. I tried sugar free popsicles during the first month but found them sickeningly sweet and had to get rid of them. Almost the same with some Protein Bars, I find some to be really sweet and can hardly get one down. My go-to sugar free item is pudding. I mix it with Protein Powder for Breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I have cut sugar completely from my diet and haven't missed it at all I'm trying to get off of the artificial sweeteners too!

Best of luck!!