Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I cant stop thinkng about it.

I had never heard of the sleeve until I accompanied my best friend to visit someone, her longtime friend Jessica, the day after her own sleeve surgery. At the time I was probably hanging around 220 pounds and not feeling it too bad and Jessica was over 300 pounds. I ended up hanging out with Jessica a lot and watched her on her journey lose well over 160 within a year.

I decided about 6 months ago, at 245 pounds, that I wanted this surgery and I called my husbands insurance to see if it was covered... which it wasn't. Now I have enrolled in my own health insurance at work, called in about the surgery and know now that I will be eligable as of january 1st! I am so excited and I cant stop thinking about the surgery. I read up about it everywhere I watched video on how they perform the surgery, I considered having it done in Mexico, I have even sat down and gone through an online seminar from the hospital I would like to have it done at. But the wait is killing me.

Can anyone tell me how long it took to get the ball rolling? Should I go get some of these required tests done before january? Will my insurance accept all of the information prior to january 1st? Will I need to pay the deductable and the 20% thats not covered all before the sugery or can I make payments as I go? Otherwise I will have to wait till I get my taxes back in february... I just want to get it done on january second so that I know its covered but that it will happen as soon as possible. Ive read up about pre-op, post-op, and stages 1-3 diets, and even with all the facts and risks I think about it all day every day.

Does anyone have any advice that might help me stop obsessing over it? Are my hopes too high? I am probably closing in on 120-150 pounds over weight and while I was pregnant from January-October 2013 I had no health problems. I just have been heavier than I should be my whole life and sense I graduated high school and started working full time I have packed on the pounds and cant seem to control my over eating and run into tendonitis and ligament problems when I exercise, my sciatica doesnt help either. I already walk about 10,000 steps at work every day and do a lot of lifting and adding to that always leaves me hurting and I almost cant do my basic job requirments as I grow in size every month.

I figure I dont want to keep talking about this with people who dont understand so I might as well share all of my thoughts on here where everyone is talking about it already. =] Sorry that was so long. I hope I get some great conversations started with some like minded sleevers!

I'm right there with you. I am not eligible till Jan 2 either. So I started my 6 months of Dr supervised diet visits in June, had my sleep test done, got diagnosed with sleep apnea (one co-morbidity), now it's wait and live vicariously though the lives of those on BP who have had the surgery and are loving life. I know I have to have 5 yeas of weight history, so I have a OBGYN appt in Dec, I'll get that from them. I printed off my bank statements over the past 2 years showing I paid for WW and Nutrisystem (both!). I attended a REAL seminar at the Bariatric Center and they give a packet of info that must be completed and provided to the center on the first appt. Once January comes, I'll enroll, get an appt with the surgeon, and I'll have Psych tests to do, endoscopy to do, Nutritionist visits to attend. I think I'm pretty prepared. but I do research every single day, and have done so since February. 5 of my friends had their surgery this year. I so want to be on the losers bench with my friends. Best wishes to you!!

I think you should call your surgeons office and ask if they can get the ball rolling, especially if you've already met the deductible with your husband's insurance for the year. I don't think insurance companies care when the diet is done as long as it's in the past year or so. I also think they don't care if you started with another insurance company, because that's less they have to pay out. Having to pay your 20% up front or not depends on the hospital's policy. Some hospitals require pre-payment and some don't. You can call the hospital's patient finance department and they can tell you what their policy is.

I can tell you that the initial obsession does calm down, eventually. For me it was after I had the first appointment with the dietitian.

Unfortunately we Havnt met the deductable for my insurance this year but I agree with the sense that I'm probably saving the insurance company money and I should get this started now :) thank you both for your reply's I sure hope I can make payment to the hospital. The money is what I'm afraid will hold me up

I started the process early May of this year that after I found out my insurance convered me. From May till September it was pretty much waiting to get approved I did all the appointments that needed to be done and was denied once. After I was approved 6 months later of waiting it only took 2 weeks for a surgery date. I am now 3 weeks post op and 25 pounds lighter and am happy I waiting and had the patients to do so. Good luck

I am unable to have the surgery until after the first of the year due to needing to change insurance plans. My bariatric center, called in October to get all my preops done before January, so I will just have to have my stuff submitted to insurance, then be able to schedule. I would start now, all the testing can take time!!

I have set a doctors appointment for tomorrow morning to see if my PCP will give me the recommendation paperwork and start all my testing :)

I'm thankful the hospital I am having it done at took care if pretty much everything. I got on their website filled out survey they called insurance then called me for my first appointment. They made all my appointments but my pcp.

I am in the same boat as many of you. I have started doing my requirements but will not be able to submit until January first because I have to switch to the more expensive plan. I think it about constantly and am totally consumed with everything SLEEVE..lol :D

At least we get this time to prepare ourselves for the great changes ahead. You are not alone, I too hate bringing up the surgery to others because I feel like every time I open my mouth it is Sleeve related and my family is probably rolling their eyes whenever I talk..haha (jk..I hope). We have two short months left, I hope all who are waiting have a quick and fast holiday season so we can get to January already! :P

What state are you in heav85?

Edited by Chelsea E

Kentucky

I hope arizona hospitals are that helpful!

I first heard of the sleeve in sept...yes...3 months ago..lol. Joined this site Oct 1st and haven't stopped thinking about it.

I've watched videos on YouTube...joined Facebook groups and search the hashtag #vsg on Instagram daily. Some would say I'm obsessed, but I just wanna do all my research. I've even read medical journals at my hospital when I go to work.

Unfortunately I also have to do the 6 month supervised weight loss...so I won't be sleeved til the end of March 2015.

@@Chelsea E well I'm having mine in January and the thing about having it in another country that you just have to meet the medical requirements to have the surgery in which you are seeking. I called on oct 30th and got approved and scheduled within two weeks. I choose my own date and it is later only because I have to lose some weight and wanted to make sure I had taken the correct steps to find out all the info I needed. My surgery is Jan 12th and I haven't been more excited. I spoke to literally 10 patients who have gone to my doc not just on line but on the phone and through personal emails. Good luck!