Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Refried beans and cheese

Ok! I get to start puréed tomorrow and I'm looking forward to having refried Beans and cheese, but I have a couple questions:

Do I use low fat Beans, low fat cheese?

I'd like to hear some of your favorite things you add to them, if anything?

Thanks!

I used low fat both and put a little salsa on top. However, that is the one thing I have trouble with. Haven't tried it in weeks though

I used low fat both and put a little salsa on top. However, that is the one thing I have trouble with. Haven't tried it in weeks though

Do you use low fat Beans and low fat cheese?

Do you use low fat Beans and low fat cheese?

Oops I'm sorry! I see that you do! I misread! Lol

After weeks of liquids, the most amazing thing I ate was a pintos and cheese from Taco Bell with a scoop of ground beef. Their ground beef is ground really fine and I figured it would add more Protein. I would add a little light sour cream when I got home and could eat like 1/3 or 1/2 of it. It wasn't low fat but they put very little cheese on there and even with full fat Beans, it was pretty low calorie. I could make one of those last like 3 meals all for around a dollar.

I also made chili when I was on puree. I used very lean ground beef and I boil mine in the Tomato juice which makes it very tender. Then I chopped up the Beans in a food processor. High Protein, high Fiber and so good. I ate it for like 2 days straight and then froze the rest.

Yep I did low fat :)

Lets see your trying to loose weight. Now if you have a choice between low fat over a higher fat food which one should you choose? Really?

After weeks of liquids, the most amazing thing I ate was a pintos and cheese from Taco Bell with a scoop of ground beef. Their ground beef is ground really fine and I figured it would add more Protein. I would add a little light sour cream when I got home and could eat like 1/3 or 1/2 of it. It wasn't low fat but they put very little cheese on there and even with full fat Beans, it was pretty low calorie. I could make one of those last like 3 meals all for around a dollar.

I also made chili when I was on puree. I used very lean ground beef and I boil mine in the Tomato juice which makes it very tender. Then I chopped up the Beans in a food processor. High Protein, high Fiber and so good. I ate it for like 2 days straight and then froze the rest.

EXCELLENT! Thanks so much for sharing your experuence. Great tips! I'm sooooo stinkin excited to eat some, I can't hardly stand it! LOL

Lets see your trying to loose weight. Now if you have a choice between low fat over a higher fat food which one should you choose? Really?

Yes, REALLY! If you are going to reply to my posts, please refrain from being a smartass. My question was valid, as my NUT doesn't specify using low fat with certain things. PLUS, I'm more concerned with low calorie, low carb, sir, than low fat, but thanks anyway for your contribution to my topic. You must not have had Breakfast this morning....try it. Might sweeten you up a bit.

Edited by Jennifer Rogers

Whoa! there Par...dner! A little sensitivity goes a long way! And it could be that as little as we can eat, fat free wouldn't be necessary. See Lexie's post.

Mmmm, cheese!! I've always loved cheese, so I already know I'm going to have to gradually reintroduce myself to it. I've got a ways to go before I can have Beans & cheese though.

Mmmm, cheese!! I've always loved cheese, so I already know I'm going to have to gradually reintroduce myself to it. I've got a ways to go before I can have Beans & cheese though.

I have always been a cheese love myself..could live off it! I am supposed to get to start puréed stage tomorrow...I CANT WAIT FOR MELTED CHEESE

You are going to be eating such a tiny amount... I would go for the full fat versions. It will be tastier and more satisfying to you.

I for one loathe reduced fat/fat free products and never touch the stuff.

@@par1959 There are some low fat foods that are processed. Low fat does not equal healthy or better, so her question was valid.

I ate full fat everything in the first month or so. Your calorie intake is so low at this point it won't matter. My nut actually laughed when I expressed concern that her recommended yogurt was not low fat. In fact, my postop diet plan never called for low fat anything. Besides, you need fat in your diet for proper cell function and in order to absorb fat-soluble Vitamins. And a lot of "fat-free" foods are higher in carbs (check out the labels) and I'll take fat over carbs anyday. For example, fat free 1/2 and 1/2 actually has corn Syrup solids added to it.

Once I started regular food, I did watch my fat a little bit by using skim milk, low fat Greek yogurt, PB2, etc. but once I got close to goal I went back to 2% milk, real cream in my coffee, cooking with butter, regular Peanut Butter, lots of nuts and avocados, etc.

Edited by Kindle