Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best Liquid Meal Replacement/Protein Shakes

I started on Optifast 2 weeks prior to surgery. It was recommended by my doctor. I am also a diabetic and have done very well with it. I am off all of my diabetic oral meds and my regular sliding scale insulin. The only thing I take now is a long acting insulin: Lantus. I am down from 70U to 40U every night. I really like Optifast too. I never heard of Injury, Isopure (clear), or Muscle Milk???:lol:

The Protein mix I tolerate best is Six Star whey Protein. In chocolate and vanilla. If they're out of this, my alternate is EAS powder, or the EAS carb advantedge pre-mades in strawberry or French Vanilla (both of which have to be -COLD- or they suck).

I'm rarely a purist with my Protein drinks. I will not mix them with Water, I tried gagging through that and it just didn't work for me. I will either mix them with Skim Plus milk or Silk, or sometimes the Skim Plus cut with Light OJ, about 2:1.

For chocolate powder I will usually blend in either a scant spoonful of Peanut Butter, or the same of Nutells, or some sugar free Kahlua flavored coffee Syrup and ice, or some sugar free Hazlelnut coffee syrup & warm the milk.

For vanilla I will put in about 1/5 packet of Butterfinger flavored cocoa mix, or some low sugar/low carb regular cocoa mix, or some sugar free cider mix, or fruit (not too often, I don't like the texture of the tiny seeds).

If I do the milk/OJ combo, I will just add ice and sugar (formerly Splenda, but I'm not really buying into the artificial sweetners too much anymore).

Outside of protein pwders, for my liquid phase (very short compared to yours), inclusing thick liquids, I would rely on Cream of X Soups (mostly chicken), or golden mushroom, or the brothy variety of southwest chicken with all chunks strained out. Split pea Soup was nice, as was lentil Soup. Clam chowder that had been whizzed up to blend in the chunks. Plain old low sodium chicken broth. Drinkable yogurts. Etc.

Isopure sucks. IMO. I tasted some and thought it was OK so pre-op I bought a big cannister of their carb free powder (called perfect carb or something like that). The sample I tried must have been mixed with cheesecake or something else yummy, because this stuff sucked. I choked through it by mixing it with 2% milk and telling myself it was "like a milkshake"... only long enough to find something else.

My liquid diet time is coming up. 10 days before, 6-8 weeks afterwards. I'm going to be on liquid meals for a long time, and I have started a chart comparing them on my computer. Any suggestions for me to try?

Are you on Clear Liquids if not have you tried the cream of chicken Soup and add milk until it is thin enough for you.

Although I am still waiting for my insurance approval so I can finally be banded - I've been researching Protein shakes for a long time. I really want to make sure I find some that will taste good and provide me with adequate Protein so I can stay on track after surgery.

I am leaning towards a vanilla flavor (probably unjury or that other shake mentioned that can be purchased at Wal-Mart) and utilizing Capella Flavor drops. I thought I'd mention them here for those of you who are wanting a little variety with your vanilla shakes. :)

A lot of liquid dieters use them in their shakes and puddings. There are tons of different flavors and you can combine them to create yummy treats. They don't have any fat, calories or sweetners.

Link: Flavor Drops - Gourmet coffee and Tea Flavorings, Flavor Your coffee Anytime, Anywhere!

I'm hoping that these drops will be able to take some of the nasty factor out of the shake drinking experience when my time comes. :lol:

Adkins advantage- canned -chocolate delight.. lower carbs great taste no too sweet. LOVE IT DAILY!

Sam's club 12 for $13.00... convenient. I can't swallow any of the slim fasts that are out... I have tried them all.

Healthyweightsupermarket in Springfield Mo has some non-shake Protein drinks that are great too.. powder in a bottle, that you add Water, shake and enjoy. No aspertame, no clumps... lemon-razzy my favorite one.

Good luck with what works for you!

Fortress at Walmart. Vanilla flavor. chocolate was gross. i add nonsweetened cocoa mix by hershey to it for chocolate fix. As vanilla alone it is great too. You could add any flavorings to the vanilla base to change it, whey Protein 46gms in 2 scoops, very low 4 carb?