Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those of u who have criticized my "way" of doing the sleeve...

You were right. For the last 16 mths since my sleeve revision, I've belonged to the school of thought that I can eat whatever I want, just much less of it. 6 months ago I was 5 lbs from goal. I've now gained almost 20 lbs eating whatever I want. Since I can eat much more now, that way of thought doesn't work anymore.

It was a nice thought, however...

Just got back from vacation (3 weeks out of state) and I gained 3 lbs. Eating out, drinking local micro brewed beer, and not exercising. While I'm relieved that I only gained 3 lbs, hardly any of my clothes fit. My jeans r way tight.

Went grocery shopping yesterday. Not 1 article of junk food went into my cart (cept a couple of Lean Cuisines). Starting last nite, no more nightly glass of wine. In itself it wasn't bad (110 cals) but afterwards I think it's a fantastic idea to cook a frozen pizza or corndog. I snacked on 1/2 apple with almond butter last nite. I ate a home cooked, real food meal last nite. I'm not doing a particular diet (such as low carb, low calorie, etc) I'm just going to cut the snacking mindlessly while watching tv at nite. Thats where about 50% of my calories come from. From now on it will be chamomile tea ( i find that I hafta sip on something while watching tv) a pc of fruit or a veggie with Protein. I will consume more Water and I go back to the gym tomorrow. My dog will actually be walked everyday. I will attempt to eat real food (cept the occasional Lean Cuisine pizza) and drink no beer (not really a soda fan and I only drink maybe 1/2 a beer. I drink it so slow that it gets warm and I toss it).

I might even do the dastardly deed of counting calories...and keeping track of what I eat. Guess it can't hurt.

So all of u who said my way of thinking would make my world come crashing down, u were right. I'm bowing down in shame to u...

And for all the newbies out there who follow the same school of thought that u can eat anything just in small quantities - u r incorrect. U'd better come up with a better plan before u eventually fail. Cuz u will...

Good for you for nipping this in the butt, er, bud!!! It is a great heads up for me as a newbie!!

I'm Having my surgery tomorrow so this is something to definitely keep in the back of my mind.

Thanks for your honesty. I didn't know we could even have beer after surgery.

Wishing you success in reaching your goal. We all know it's never easy.

Your post is interesting to me, because I totally eat whatever I want, just never much of it. I do keep track of everything in MyFitnessPal though so by the end of the night if I'm getting close to my calorie max, I try to stop eating. I will be very bummed if this plan stops working for me though!

Thanks for your post! :)

Thanks for this post. I am only 4 months out and already feel the difference in the amount I can eat. I've been in a stall that started with a 3 week vacation and I can see that I will have to work to make this tool successful. I haven't gained any weight back but I've only lost 25 lbs and am stuck. My head hunger battles continue but I started logging my food and that seems to be helping tremendously. Anyway, thanks for the post - it's a good reminder.

That is what cracks me up about small-minded people who think that weight loss surgery is an easy way out. It is work - a lot of hard work - and math - and research - and drama. I am 9 1/2 months out and have weighed and calulated and measured and logged and exercised every day and still hit stalls. My most recent stall has been over three months, and I do not want to be done while still forty pounds from goal.

So.....Two days ago, I pulled my original pre-op materials out of storage and decided to go back to the written suggestions on post-op phase IV. I may (ok, WILL) have to give up my late-night hot chocolate because even the sugar-free cocoa mixes, and the lite whip cream, and the sugar-free chocloate Syrup have enough collective calories to contribute to my stall.

Well, double ding dang darn, the rest of this weight will come off some way some how, even if I have to cut it off the front with a plastic butter knife from my three year old granddaughter's dolly tea set.. I know with my knower that this ol' gal ain't done yet.

The beautiful thing is that you still have the "tool" to work with - your sleeve. It will never go away, so even if you've made not the greatest choices up until now, there's still lots of opportunity for great success in your future if you stick to the basics!

It's funny, I actually just wrote a blog post (linked in signature) about pretty much this same thing yesterday.

I read something today that made a lot of sense to me. "What matters to success isn't the speed with which you lose weight, but whether you lose weight with a lifestyle you enjoy enough to sustain." -Eggface

Wise words. For me, anyway, the "diet" mentality has never worked. What does work is focusing on healthful choices first, working in the things I like, (often, but not always modified to make it more healthful) and moving my body. If I put on 5 pounds, I take it off by eating a little less, eliminating alcohol for a week and moving a bit more. THIS is a lifestyle I enjoy enough to sustain!

Fyi: ive lost 2.5 lbs of the amt Ive gained. I stopped drinking alcohol and nightime snacking. I guess it makes a bigger difference than I once thought. I hafta force myself to "top off" with my dinner, eatong to the point of being full so Im not hungry again before bedtime. Probly not a great idea but once I have a snack (healthy or not) its over. I will eat all nite

On my way back from the dark side...

Fyi: ive lost 2.5 lbs of the amt Ive gained. I stopped drinking alcohol and nightime snacking. I guess it makes a bigger difference than I once thought. I hafta force myself to "top off" with my dinner, eatong to the point of being full so Im not hungry again before bedtime. Probly not a great idea but once I have a snack (healthy or not) its over. I will eat all nite

On my way back from the dark side...

Good for you! You may not think so but you are an inspiration! I am 3 months out and am finding that I can eat a little more & was getting scared about eating too many calories. I've indulged here & there too but so far so good. I track religiously and that is a big help but what really makes a difference for me are the food choices.

No one is perfect and perfectionism is a disease (something that has taken me yearsssssss of therapy to understand) so don't be too hard on yourself.

im definitely happy you realized what will and won't work for you! hey, nothing wrong with life experience :)

i have to be honest--i am not really a junk food eater but i am a volume eater. i'll eat real food--just lots of it. i am not a cookie, candy, cake, chip junkie. my budget doesn't allow for too much junk food--we can't afford it anyway. so i don't have to worry about that.

so i am not going to be too crazy with tracking--that is what drove me up the wall during my dieting days and it really makes me pretty miserable. i am hoping that my already great food choices stick with me, and i just enjoy life eating normal amounts of food and full full afterwards.