Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going to the grocery store....what should I get?

Surgery is Monday. I'm going to the grocery store today or tomorrow to get stuff. What should I get? What helped you? What did you like?

I know about chicken broth, Jello, gas strips. Anything else?

Also...what did you take with you on the day of the surgery? Blanket? Candle? Can I play some Sinatra?

:blink:

I was out in 2 hours so I took nothing.

Hi there and congratulations on your upcoming surgery. I was glad I took my sense of humor with me and I can tell you have that packed already. Comes in handy with the gown, weigh-in, paperwork, gurney ride, etc. I was nervous and it was so much better than I thought it would be. I stayed overnight (my first time doing this!) and was glad of my flipflops to slip on for my amazing walks up and down the hallways. The walking is great and really impresses the nursing staff, let me tell you. I had teabags for the morning -- love my tea -- was glad for my very own pillow (also for car ride home). Did not read the book I brought, lol, or the journal, or my iPad, or the robe (used theirs). When I got home I loved my Popsicles. Didn't have much, really, but nice to have -- I don't do artificial sweeteners so I had soft frozen lemonade, can't remember manufacturer. I was one day clear then "full liquids" for a week. Protocols really vary so just follow your own. Once at full liquids I liked those Soups that come in cartons in the natural food section of the regular grocery store, potato leek, etc. I liked miso Soup -- craved savory. Even though I didn't use pain medication -- filled the script but didn't need it -- I still had Constipation from the anesthesia and had to address that. Don't underestimate yourself and the powerful decision to get healthy -- take that wih you! You will be amazing. Walk, walk, walk.....

Applesauce and there are some mixed with carrots and peaches.

I didn't stay over night so my perspective of what to bring differs from the participant above

Get that spray stuff to make your throat numb. Mine was all torn up from the tube they put in there during the surgery.

My favorite thing post-op was REAL chicken broth with dill and stuff in it.

Getting up and walking is the key as Bandista said above. Depending on if you are staying the night or going home the same day. If you can stay the night I recommend taking advantage of it and getting your rest and having the assistance in getting up and moving around. The sooner you do that the faster the gas and anesthesia will move out of your body.

Tea was a great soother for me in the early days, and sipping it from a spoon or small medicine cup is the way to go in the first few days. Ice pops any flavor sugar free if possible are also a big help in the early days and help to sooth the insides.

Gas-ex is a friend, ice packs for port site and incision site pain help tremendously as well as a heating pad for your back and/or shoulder if you have gas pain that lingers.

If your on a liquid diet for a couple of weeks stock up on your Protein shakes and liquids now. My favorite substitute for Water is Mio's Sweet Tea but there are so many different things out there. Soups and such are great, when I was able to eat mushy foods I found that Wendy's chilli mixed up in the blender hit the spot. When we were feeling better we made our own pot of turkey chilli and it's still a favorite today. :)

Candles aren't allowed. I had my iPhone with me so that I could read, play games, or play music until time to go. My husband was with me, so he took all of my personal items to the waiting room with him. Also, they had tvs in the rooms so that I could watch whatever I wanted.

Groceries .... I picked up a bunch of broth, baby food veggies and fruits (especially prunes), and prune juice. You WILL be constipated for a bit from the meds they give you at the hospital, and for as long as you are on pain meds. pureed prunes and prune juice are your FRIENDS. I also have some cranberry juice to help with urination. I've been doing 1 part prune juice to 2 parts cranberry juice, and it's extremely helpful.

Good luck!!

Heating pad and a recliner!

Blanket, I was so freaken cold!!!! I asked my hubby to go buy me a blanket for the ride home (mine was outpatient) while I was in surgery, and they said he couldn't leave:( when I was being wheeled to my car afterward, my amazing post op nurse wrapped me in one of those large heated white hospital blankets, and said here's your blankey dear!!!!!! I told her I loved her!!!!! And she said she only did it for the ones she loved lol ( maybe she says that to all her patients but Idc, I used that blanket for 8 days post op and felt loved lol