Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone!! I'm so excited this group is here! My surgery is Nov 5 with Dr Ponce De Leon....lots of mixed emotions!!

@amgarza54--Welcome!! I notice that you're in California, so are you headed down tomorrow? Mixed emotions is becoming a bit of an understatement with me, but I love that there are people here who will go ahead of me and help me to be better prepared (I guess that would be you). ;)

Hi Becca, I am feeling a ton of mixed emotions....Should I do it, should I not, and a group of other worries, cause I'm a worry wort! I started my Pre-op diet on Halloween too, I'm going to be honest, I cheated...I had 3 (SMALL) pieces of candy....I am only human ;) . My husband is so supportive of me and my decision to make a Better me! He has helped with all my frustrations and has been there for me to snap at! lol...

Keeping my eye on the prize at this time and trying to jump through all these hurdles that I am coming across cause were procrastinators LOL.......Hoping I can reply to this chat on Thursday 11/6 and say everything went well!!!! Good luck on yours :)

Okay, guys. Today is the first day that I've felt really nervous. Starting to wonder if I can REALLY do this. I begin my two week pre-op diet ON Halloween, which isn't a big deal, but my son is being baptized on Saturday and knowing that I will be facing my first real challenge that day. Knowing that I will need to say the first of MANY "No, thank you"s at his celebration. I guess it's just hitting me.

Has it hit you guys yet? How are you dealing with the emotional side of this??

@@Becca R. Hi, Yes I am in California and were driving down tomorrow. We will be staying in San Diego, and walking over to TJ on Wednesday morning. I am thinking of catching a cab over to where I have to be, so we don't have to drive in crazy TJ! LOL Those drivers are nuts!

I feel sort of lost, I scheduled my apt directly with Dr Ponce, so I have no idea what is going on, where I will go or how long. I just messaged him and asked for a the address where I have to report On Wednesday hoping he will give me some light! lol

Hi guys! Sorry I'm not in here much. I'm mostly on Facebook. Yes I will be in to update everyone after my surgery.... It's on Sat!!! EEEEK! I thought I lost my ID on Sunday which is enhanced so that's all I need to get into Mexico. I was a train wreck crying freaking out. Luckily I found it.

@ - thinking about you and sending positive thoughts your way! When you are on the mend, we will be anxiously waiting for your advice and comments. Hugs!

Hi Everyone. I finally feel decent enough to give you all an update. Here's what went down:

I got to the hospital at 12:00 and did pre-op testing. They told me I would meet with the internist and then the anesthesiologist and doctor. So I met the internist around 2:00. Then waited. And waited. Finally the patient advocate came in around 5:00 and said it would be another hour. Ok. I waited some more. At 6:15 I had a total nervous breakdown (like crying uncontrollably) because I hadn't had any fluids, I was starving and I didn't want to be the last surgery of the day. I finally sucked it up but when they finally came to get me 6:30 it started all over again. Then I met with the anesthesiologist and she was very sweet and reassuring. Then she pumped me full of Xanax and some other cocktail that made me feel a tad drunk. Dr. Lopez came out to meet me and I told him I was so upset because I didn't think I would be last and he said he always does the more difficult surgeries first. Everyone but me was a revision of some sort and I was last because I was smaller, my blood pressure was perfect and all my lab work was perfect. That made me feel better. I also was gauging if the doctor looked at all exhausted and he didn't so at that point I was comfortable with proceeding.

I remember waking up in immense pain and dry heaving. This is not new. It happens every time I have surgery. Thankfully I had nothing to throw up. I had to be monitored longer than usual but eventually I made it back to my room around 10:00. I kept feeling terrible pain so they kept pumping me full of medications. Finally I was able to sleep. This morning I feel MUCH better. I only have minimal gas pain and it is coming out in the form of hiccups and little burps. Sometimes the burps feel like they are trapped in my chest and its a little scary but then it passes. The only real pain is where the drain is. I'll be soooo happy to get it out tomorrow. I took a shower a little while ago and soon I will be going to do my leak test.

I'll try to keep you all updated as much as possible! Feel free to ask any questions. :-)

@ I am so proud of you and glad you are doing well. Your weight loss prior to surgery has been amazing. Congrats and keep us up to date!

I have been picking up this and that for the past week to make sure I had everything I needed. For those that have already been, what were your must haves??? I don't want to pack a bunch of stuff I won't need since I can't carry much after surgery and I'm flying alone. This is what I have so far:

Gas-X strips

Gauze and tape

Neosporine

All meds in bottles

Imodium

Loose fitting clothes

Robe and slippers

books to read

Money for tips/purchases

CC for hotel check-in

Couple of maxi-pads for flight home (in case of loose stools)

Am I forgetting anything???? I know I can pick up something there if needed but I like to prepare!

@wantingabetterlife--good list! Let me see how mine looks different. I'm going to be annoying and list it out so I can actually compare it to yours. :)
Gas-X Strips
Zofran for nausea and liquid Lortab for pain
Tegaderm bandages
Perisporin (I have found that this works better for me that neosporin on stitches.)
Loose clothes and a robe
A pillow
fuzzy socks with grip for walking
books
i-pad and charger (I've read we don't need to take a converter. Hope it's true!)
some herbal tea packets
a small thank you for my doctor

Now I have to think about what I need to pack for my spouse. :)

@ THANK YOU for your update!!!! I have been wondering all day how you're doing! That wait sounds downright nerve wracking. Ugh. I have a feeling that I'll be in more for more of the same. :huh:

I hope you're up and walking as much as you can. Feeling so happy for you that the surgery is behind you and now you can move forward!! (I just want to get there, too!)

--Becca

Memories keep coming up. I kept fighting to take my oxygen mask off after surgery. It made me feel claustrophobic and I would take it and the nurse would run over and put it back on. I remember being irritated that I was in pain and the gas was settle in my lungs and I couldn't breathe.

I've been walking as much as I can. My lungs have some mucous buildup, I guess from being intubated. I want to cough but it hurts so I take breathing breaks where I try to breathe as deep as I can. The last thing I need is pneumonia.

Tip: trying to sleep flat or close to flat causes more pain. If I sleep reclined the gas seems to be spread more evenly and allows me to hiccup.

Edited by krisrpaz

I really appreciate the lists! This is the day before I fly!

A couple of other things I have on my list:

Tylenol

lemon drops (when my mouth gets dry)

a fan (I've heard the hospital is hot!)

long sundresses

taking a book and my crochet

Still feeling really excited! My surgery will be on Friday.

As part of my process I've decided to make a videoblog to put on youtube.

I'll let everyone know when it goes up.

The day before I fly my first accomplishment: losing 19 pounds!

A shout out to everyone who has gone before us with courage and awesomeness!

@wantingabetterlife--good list! Let me see how mine looks different. I'm going to be annoying and list it out so I can actually compare it to yours. :)

Gas-X Strips

Zofran for nausea and liquid Lortab for pain

Tegaderm bandages

Perisporin (I have found that this works better for me that neosporin on stitches.)

Loose clothes and a robe

A pillow

fuzzy socks with grip for walking

books

i-pad and charger (I've read we don't need to take a converter. Hope it's true!)

some herbal tea packets

a small thank you for my doctor

Now I have to think about what I need to pack for my spouse. :)

Hi there - My aunt had gastric sleeve about 5 months ago and she said to bring feminine pads because if you get sick to your stomach you tend to leak a little bit. She was throwing up a few hours after surgery and she had no bladder control. She went with a group of 3 of my cousins and they were having the same problem. The nurses told them it was the anesthesia they used.

Pauline

Edited by Tootie Smiles