Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Asking all you post sleevers: What do you wish you had known or done before surgery?

I'm having my sleeve done on the 22nd of this month. What would you tell me is important for me to know or things you have learned post surgery? Feeling a little overwhelmed! Thanks!

Eat whatever you want and as much of it as you want! ;) :lol:

I wish I had known how common it is for the newly sleeved to have difficulty getting in all of the required Water and Protein in the early days. I was so afraid that I was doing something wrong, and later discovered that many, if not most post-ops had the same problems. It really helped me to stop worrying and trust the process.

That the foods I used to be able to eat are not longer allowed in my new tummy. Believe me, not by choice. In the beginning I had a lot of guest re-appearances.

Also, a few teaspoons of anything makes me feel like a ate an entire holiday meal. I never thought that would happen. :)

I really wish that I had measured myself everywhere for comparison. Oh well... Also have a great last meal!

HKMOM

Take deep breaths.... Vsg is tough initially. I'm hearing it will get easier. Try lots of Protein Shakes to find the one that clicks with you. Small baby steps. Listen to your sleeve and when you get a little queasy, stop eating.

To focus on fluids over Protein for the first week or two, use an app to remind yourself to sip and to help slow down once eating solids.. that the scale should not rule your universe, measurements are better....the scale will not drop on a daily basis so don't be disappointed when it doesn't..... Stalls happen and can last sometimes for months but they always end if you stay on task...... Be kind to yourself, guilt does you no favors...... Wait to try eggs, too many of us have a negative first experience too early out.... Introduce foods one at a time whenever possible so you know what doesn't sit well and what does.... Don't hesitate to call your doctor if you have issues or concerns post op...Listen to your sleeve and learn to recognize what it's trying to tell you...... Pay attention to the difference between head hunger, actual hunger and thirst...

Most importantly, Celebrate the little things, the big things and all those things in between, (just not with food anymore) and know that you are worth it!!!!

I wish I had known that dropping a large amount of weight in such a short amount of time would be so emotionally taxing. In the beginning I found myself getting very angry or sad for no apparent reason. I felt like A crazy person because I didn't understand why I was so emotional.

I wish I had known that dropping a large amount of weight in such a short amount of time would be so emotionally taxing. In the beginning I found myself getting very angry or sad for no apparent reason. I felt like A crazy person because I didn't understand why I was so emotional.

This. Your body will adjust before your mind will. Just be prepared for that.

On a technical level I wish I had taken my measurements. I took a progress picture every month, which was great, and I have my weight records of course, but my only regret is that I didn't also track my inches lost. That can help when the scale isn't moving!

On an emotional level, I wish I had done some of the hard emotional work ahead of time dealing with emotional eating etc. Or at the very least I wish I would have read "When food is Love" which has been really important for me ....

Good luck!!

I like most others wished I would have measured myself. The stalls really stink, but don't be depressed or stressed over this the weight will come off eventually. Know that when you are able to enjoy foods that your jaws will hurt for weeks, so i wished i had actually chewed my food 20-25 times just to become use to it. I have no regrets now and I love me now more than ever. I wish you all the luck in the world. :) I was sleeved on July 30th-have now lost 40 pounds, 20-25 more to go... :rolleyes:

bodyweight.png?ts=1413325398

Edited by SarahSmile

Great comments I am due to be sleeved tomorrow.

Great comments I am due to be sleeved tomorrow.

I wish that I didn't worry so much before. I read so much that I was convinced it was going to be a horrible and difficult process. I had a very smooth ride. I thought I was going to be in a lot of pain and that I wouldn't be able to do anything for several weeks after surgery. Nope...I felt great 4 days out. I spent 1 night in the hospital and didn't take any pain meds after I got home. I could have gone back to work within a week. I worried so much before hand that I wasn't doing something right or that something drastic and horrible would happen after! I read so many of these threads and was convinced I would have regrets and that I would never be the same again. So, my advice....keep in mind that a lot of people have questions and concerns so there are a lot of, kind of scary, posts if you take it all in. People who have it smooth sailing don't post as often...they have no concerns. I wish I would have thought about that or known that. I am exactly the same person emotionally and mentally that I was before surgery....I was convinced I would have a very difficult time dealing with the changes. Yes...I have had moments where I wanted a piece of cake or where I wanted to eat a huge plate of food....but, I whined a bit and then I sucked it up. I only have about 20% of the room I had before but you know what? I still eat well...I love the food I eat....I just eat less. Isn't that the whole point of this surgery? That's why I had it anyway. So...Overall I just wish I relaxed more.

Now for a more simple answer..... Don't over buy your Protein shakes. Buy as you need it because you will definitely hate some you loved before and love some you hated before :) Good news though....9 weeks out and I am eating the things that made my stomach roll when I first tried them. Nothing seems to be a problem for me.

Good Luck to you!!! Hope you are also one of the smooth sailors!!

Yeah, don't overbuy. I am nine months out and still have enough whey Protein mix for another year.