Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ugh I just wrote a big long post and it didn't post.

I don't have the desire to eat most of the time. Some days I'm sooo hungry tho. But for the most part I have to remind myself to eat.

I will be honest, I did try the alcohol today...I had half a shot of bacardi torched cherry, and within 5 min I was like woooooo! Lol I was feeling pretty good. It wore off within 20 min tho. No issues, no upset tummy or anything. I am perfectly fine now. Tomorrow is back to the grind tho, yogurt and Protein shakes!

I tried popcorn the other night and it was fine too...def filled me up as well!

Ok all...I wanna take a poll...who has no desire to eat?! My best friend is 5 years out and still feels that way. It's such a chore I never feel hungry. Just curious if I'm in the minority

I'm glad this polling was asked. Thanks dc0520! :-)

I had my RNY last year on 12/10/2013. I haven't EVER been hungry or thirsty since my surgery.

But my NUT says we're supposed to eat within two hours of waking up and no more than two hours before sleep, and at least every two or three hours throughout the day. She calls it the "2-3-2".

So early on after my surgery I set alarms on my smartphone to remind me to eat and drink. I get up at 5:30AM, so my first eating alarm is at 6:30AM. I also have alarms for eating at 9AM, noon, 3PM, and 6PM. Most nights I TRY to get to bed at 9PM. So I sometimes eat a little before I go to bed.

Keep in mind, when I say "eat" I'm only talking about 1/4 to no more than 1 cup of food at each "mealtime". And that's mostly Protein.

And I try to get at least 2 liters, or 2 quarts, of liquid, usually Water, per day. It's a good thing too. Because since our stomach acid is next to NONE now, we HAVE to stay hydrated, at least to keep the food moving through our altered systems.

Since my surgery a year ago, the closest I've come to being hungry is that now my body "expects" to be fed at those times my alarms are set for. But sometimes I get caught up in my work or play, so much so, that I don't notice, or I ignore those phone alarms. So that's not hunger. At least it's not what I used to call hunger before surgery.

We all have to "get used to the new me" that is each of us. It takes time. It takes help, like this online support group. And it takes reminders, like my smartphone alarms.

But it's worth it! ;-)

I don't feel hunger at all but if it's 2:00PM and I forgot lunch, I do feel a little dizzy and know it's because I need to eat. Sometimes I will see something that will inspire me to eat. Like Lays potato chips or saltines. They satisfy a craving for salty crunch but it's not really hunger because a single chip or saltine does the trick.

I must say it is the most awesome thing about WLS. I used to be hungry all the time. Even after I ate I was hungry and was planning my next meal. I was in a prison and hunger was my cage. Now my day is about what I do and it is liberating. I eat because I have to but it's no ball and chain. At near 7 weeks I can tell when it is time to eat because of habit and I can tell my body is feeling down. Perhaps it's low blood sugar. The message however is gentle and I have to listen or I forget the warning easily.

I'm going to whine for a minute. I feel like I'm losing so slow, I've only lost a Pound this week, sigh. I get my Vitamins and my required Protein in, I've started exercise. I feel defeated, like I won't even get to my goal weight even in a year.

I'm going to whine for a minute. I feel like I'm losing so slow, I've only lost a Pound this week, sigh. I get my Vitamins and my required Protein in, I've started exercise. I feel defeated, like I won't even get to my goal weight even in a year.

Wasn't supposed to be a like more of a dislike. I can relate, really well! I am so proud of everyone and their successes, but it started out at 365 so looking at everyone in the 200's on their way to one-derland and I haven't even gotten to the two's yet makes me feel frustrated. Then, I remember that every pound lost is a loss and one more that will never be seen again. I have to come to the realization that I am NOT anyone else and their results are not mine. I am not the fastest loser but I know I will get there...boy do I feel like the turtle in this race to success! The moral however, you are doing GREAT; your body is still trying to figure out what the heck is happening. Failure to lose weight quickly is not a failure, but failure to be dedicated and diligent (which you are) is a failure. You're doing the right things and taking the right steps! Relax and enjoy the journey to the new you!!

I went a couple weeks fluctuating up and down a pound, and then I have lost 3 since weds. Patience and perseverance are required for this to work.

Hello Wildgoose and group, i can relate to why you waited for the surgery. I waited years, because I thought having a gastric bypass was too aggressive. I thought I could do the good ol' fashion way, diet and exercise.. making lifestyle changes. Needless to say, it didn't work for me. So, I had my surgery in Oct 2014, and have no regrets!! I'm grateful for a successful surgery. My hugest weight was 321, and now I am 255. Im not tech savvy, so I dont know how to download some pics to share with the group. Yikes! I drank some wine last night. A half of a glass was a bit much for my pouch.

My struggle with this process is not drinking while eating. Does anyone else have this challenge??

Yes!! It's so hard for me to not drink after a meal! Truthfully I usually have taken some sips during and after meals. I'm a ???? bad girl.

Is that really bad?

I've had trouble with the whole not drinking before, during or after eating...sometimes I simply forget...other times I have to take a small sip during, because something is too spicy, or too dry...I survived lol. I do really try to remember not to sip tho.

I found a little trick that helps me put my tiny small 1lb losses in perspective. I get so frustrated when I only see 1 or 2 lbs. Go to target or any store that sells hand weights. Pick up a 5lb weight. Then pick up higher ones. U feel it and you're like "wow, I lost 5 of these already, etc..." I can hardly lift a 20 lb one, and I thought to myself, wow, I had 2 and a half of these on my body 4 months ago...it's amazing to look at it that way :)

Great analogy Luna. A 5 pound hand weight is a pretty heavy thing and we have all lost way more then that. Also everyone losses at different rates. It's the way our metabolism works and we don't have a lot of control over that. This doctor I saw, when I was shopping for a surgeon, said something that resonated with me. He said the body will do anything it can to hold on to the weight, it will fight for every single ounce and the rate and length of weight loss, after WLS, is a big question without an easy answer. I still remember his statement.

Having said all that, and I am by no means saying you should not follow your plan, but my doctor/NUT does not advocate Protein supplements after the first two weeks post surgery. My Nut said they reduce the rate at which you lose weight and you should be eating natural Protein at each meal instead because digesting protein in natural form actually causes you to burn calories. Protein supplements have such pure protein they are absorbed readily without much energy expenditure. My statement to her was but I can't get 60 gr of protein per day. Her answer was, what makes you think you need to have 60 Gr. ? I didn't have an answer for that. I guess I have read this on so many posts on Bariatric Pal I assumed. Anybody knows where that number comes from?

Edited by Beni

@@superbariatricbabe

My NUT says at this stage absolutely no drinking 15 minutes before meal and an hour after. The reason is you need to keep the meal in your pouch in order to digest it properly and to maintain the full feeling until the next meal 4 hours away. If you drink the food will go through the pouch too quickly resulting in intestinal issues such as gas and bloating and you are hungry sooner. The hunger is not so much an issue in the early stages but we may experience hunger later down the road. The other thing is our pouch opening to the intestines is not the same opening we used to have which controlled emptying into intestine until digestion was complete. Now it's just a hole and liquid goes through easily because it's always open. The analogy used was if your pouch was a sandwich ziplock bag your opening to intestines is the equivalent of cutting a corner of the bag at the bottom. If you fill it with yogurt or a meal with liquid it will leak into intestines but if you fill it with pulled pork it will take much longer to empty. Makes sense!

@@Beni I'm not sure where they get that number from. My doc/nut also told me to get 60-80 a day. With my issues from the Protein Shakes and my nausea from most meat, it is difficult for me to get that much. I try to have a Greek yogurt in the morning, some nuts for a snack sometimes, cooked veggies, deviled eggs, cheese....and I think I am ok. I don't think my body is like omg give me meat! Today I was going to try a shake again, just because I had a little bit if alcohol last night and I was feeling guilty lol, but I am just not feeling it yet. Idk, I had some ham and mashed potatoes for dinner yesterday and my tummy liked that, so maybe some more tonight, we'll see :)

@ AuriP look at your total loss. It's amazing and a week is just a week. Those who clim mountains are not measuring how long they take to get there. The feat is climbing the mountain. Are you climbing it? YES, you are and yes you will get there. Also don't forget to look at BMI. Yours is comparable to so many of ours. The reason I say this is we all started at different weights and we have different heights, not to mention the size of bone structure and then lets not forget that not all fat is the same. Some fat is denser such as fibrous fat.

Hi Luna,

I had chicken today for the first time and my tummy loved it. I did thighs in the slow cooker because I was told thighs are easier to digest and a slow cooker makes the meat super soft. i didn't do anything fancy I just pulled a asian recipe online and placed it all in. It had like soy sauce, honey, ketchup and garlic and a few other spices. It was good enough. I did eat it slowly and I had two baby carrots cooked to death as a veggie. Me happy!

Another thing that was delicious and super easy was Progresso Italian wedding Soup. I placed in a colander to drain all the liquid. I fished out the little meatballs, a few of the veggies and a little Pasta but not too much. It was so nice and tummy friendly because the meat is so soft.

Once I get more adventurous on the cooking side of things I think meatballs (chicken, turkey, beef, pork, etc.) will be a great option and we can cook them in broth, a little oil, baking or using a slow cooker. There are endless possibilities and flavors to play with.

@dc... there are times im hungry and then when I don't feel like eating. It all depends if I eat something that keeps me full longer.